Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

tomtom rider on a scooter??

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

epex
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:44 - 22 Mar 2008    Post subject: tomtom rider on a scooter?? Reply with quote

my dad gave me his old gps as he dosent use his bike anymore and already has 1 in his car, which its gr8 but theres no mounts for it as i ride a scooter which does not have bare handlebars soo it would make it quite hard to mount, the gps is a tomtom rider, i could use the car kit suction thing but itl probably come off after a while, i also dont have a screen. anyone help? Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:51 - 22 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, really bad idea, give it to me I WANTS IT Mr. Green

Um, have you got a little compartment thing, like a glove box underneath your clocks on your scooter, could you modify that, and slot it in there?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

acwman
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:54 - 22 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can just buy a mounting kit which should come with quite a few attachments. One of the fixings should fit somewhere.
Bikes owned -Yamaha R1+akrapovic, Ducati 749S, Power Commander + Termi's,Buell XB12R - with race kit, GSXR600-K4 Titanium Scorpion end Can, ZXR400, RS125, Cagiva Mito, RS50, RG125, ER50, FS1E. https://www.bikepics.com/members/acwman/

epex
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:57 - 22 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, i do have a glove box but theres literally no room in there for anything not even gloves, i might as well just stick it in my jacket or under the seat and use headphones, tomtom should have so thought about scooter riders. i have the mounting kit but the clamp thing wont clap anyware on me bike

acwman
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:02 - 23 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have mirrors don't you? There is a mount which mounts to the mirror fixing.
Bikes owned -Yamaha R1+akrapovic, Ducati 749S, Power Commander + Termi's,Buell XB12R - with race kit, GSXR600-K4 Titanium Scorpion end Can, ZXR400, RS125, Cagiva Mito, RS50, RG125, ER50, FS1E. https://www.bikepics.com/members/acwman/

tutton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:05 - 23 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modify a plastic clamp
Like they have on cheapi bikes

Paivi
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:32 - 23 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

acwman wrote:
You can just buy a mounting kit which should come with quite a few attachments. One of the fixings should fit somewhere.

What he said. My TomTom came with four different fixings, including one that could be fixed on the mirrors. Just haven't got round to doing it yet, as I usually find my way...

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:37 - 23 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Pan doesn't have bare handlebars either.

The Rider 2 comes wit a RAM mount with a variety of mounting options. I mounted mine on the brake lever/reservoir clamp.

If you look in Touring and Exploration at the TomTom Rider thread you'll see piccies of various bikes with Tomtoms.

Mark

DogHeadGod
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 07:53 - 23 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the RAM mount, I managed to squeeze it onto my RS125 between the left grip and the steering yoke you can see here on the bottom right of the pic...

https://www.bryanmansell.co.uk/stuff/visordown/aprilia5.jpg

divuk83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:41 - 23 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a scooter and use a RAM mount to fit it to the mirrors.
https://www.gpsw.co.uk/

https://divuk83.net/images/bike/satnav1.jpg

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

epex
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:13 - 23 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers all, im probs gonna go wid the idea of mounting it to my mirrors like how dave has mounted his garmin.. thx

squishio
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:07 - 23 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a look at Ram mounts.

they are who make the standard tomtom rider mounting.

they have loads of alternative fixings.
but they are kind of pricey.

https://www.ram-mount-uk.com/

Ravo
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:09 - 24 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

... Define "scooter" ...

I could totally understand a GPS on a Silverwing, but not a glorified moped with a <100cc engine.

Paivi
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 24 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravo wrote:
... Define "scooter" ...

I could totally understand a GPS on a Silverwing, but not a glorified moped with a <100cc engine.

Why not? I've found the TomTom very handy even on my scooter when I've gone to a strange part of the town to visit somebody or a shop.

matthab
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:21 - 25 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://img80.imageshack.us/img80/7623/dsc00161ui0.jpg

Heres a pic of my Rider on my YBR which I rushed on so its not very straight Laughing

Ravo
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 04:11 - 25 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paivi wrote:
Why not? I've found the TomTom very handy even on my scooter when I've gone to a strange part of the town to visit somebody or a shop.

How complicated are the cities over the pond? Around here, it's all a matter of wandering around until you find a road you recognize. You're never lost, just ridin' around. It's how you learn the terrain and keep your bearings if you get lost.

Bardeey
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:08 - 25 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravo wrote:
Paivi wrote:

How complicated are the cities over the pond? Around here, it's all a matter of wandering around until you find a road you recognize. You're never lost, just ridin' around. It's how you learn the terrain and keep your bearings if you get lost.

environmentally friendly and all that!! Better to use tomtom and get there in 1 trip rather and searching for it.

(That's so bullshit but true hahahaha)

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:11 - 25 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravo wrote:
Paivi wrote:

Most towns and cities here have grown over several hundreds of years (my village is over a thousand years old) so meander all over the place rather than being neat grids of streets.

Mark

Paivi
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:09 - 25 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

And don't forget the one-way streets. Brick Wall You end up going miles out of your way just because you can't turn right...

Also, we don't believe in having road names sign posted; watching confused tourists trying to figure out where they are can provide hours of fun. Especially if they're American and trying to get to Lie-ces-ter Square. Laughing

Ravo
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:53 - 26 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think I'll be taking a GPS if I ever go over the pond. But you won't see me on a scooter.

Fawbish
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:10 - 26 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravo wrote:
Paivi wrote:

And this really backs up that a GoldWing should have a GPS as opposed to a scoot.

What the fuck has what bike you have dictate whether you should have a GPS or not?

For once I agree with Paivi ( Shocked )
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 75 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1