Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

track day in the snow

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

jay81
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:11 - 17 Mar 2008    Post subject: track day in the snow Reply with quote

hi there i am going on my first track day on saturday but it looks like its going to be -2 and 85% chance of snow ,and advice apart from stay at home.

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:18 - 17 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

kneedown! Thumbs Up
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:31 - 18 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends if it settles. You may as well go down there because you won't get your money back. That way if you're able to get a session or 2 you haven't lost out as much.

Keir
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:25 - 18 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

just build up very slowly. If you have access to tyre warmers it would be an advantage.
Previous: '99 Honda CBR 600FX, 03 ZX636 B1H, 99 Fazer 600 (red), 02 GSX-R 600 K2, 00 SV650s (red), 2008 ZX10R, 97 Bandit 1200N, 04 ZX6RR K1H, 04 GSX-R 1000, 98 Fazer 600 (gold), 05 Madness 110 Pit bike, 04 CR125R, 00 SV650s (black), 06 KTM 625 SMC, 99 SRAD 600 track bike, 03 SV650, 98 Bandit 1200N, Bandit 600SY, 03 GSX-R 600 K3, 01 GSX-R 600, 01 Fazer 600 (black), VFR 400 NC30 x3, 78 Honda Dream, 00 Speedfight 50
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

repsolblade
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:16 - 18 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put chains on ya tyres if it gets too deep ha ha.
If it gets too bad ask them to race the vans be a great day then.

jay81
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:34 - 18 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

iv got a hire van for the day and we all know hired motors go like stink. Wink

newbymick
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:04 - 18 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

jay81 wrote:
iv got a hire van for the day and we all know hired motors go like stink. Wink

Forward, sideways and reverse

Go for it - It'll never snow Shocked. Where are you doing the track day
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

trismantis
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:30 - 19 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at Silverstone on Sunday, where they have forcast sleet...
Brilliant...
but what can you do a?!?

repsolblade
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:59 - 19 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to do Silverstone let us know how ya get on and best of british for ya. Thumbs Up

trismantis
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:52 - 20 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the GP circuit 2 years ago on a RSV1000 in really hot weather, and it was incredible. It felt so fast and safe after Cadwell Park...
I think this weekend will be the complete opposite.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:45 - 20 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did snett in the snow a while ago:
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=42396

Unfortunately the pics have long been lost / replaced by someone else uploading a pic of the same name.

Getting up there was pretty thick snow everywhere and while riding in the morning there was still banks of snow at the side of the track.

Take it easy, get quickly a little at a time and you should be fine.
Oh, and relax on the bike!

jay81
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:03 - 20 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the advice pep. oh im doing the track day at mallory.

neatbik
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:31 - 21 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont forget to make a nice trackside snowman Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jay81
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:34 - 23 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

did my first track day yesterday it didnt snow in the end but it was cold and very windy but still had a great time,tewed my tyres and got my nee down for the fist time Laughing on the down side my bike is sounding very ruff now,think i enjoyed the track more than the bike did but i dont care it was worth it.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:00 - 23 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Often worth an oil change before a trackday, so maybe do one now.

newbymick
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:57 - 23 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

jay81 wrote:
did my first track day yesterday it didnt snow in the end

Ahh the power of positive thinking Wink

Now that you've done a track day, when are you doing the next one. It's like a very powerful drug you know - it just has to be done again and again. Then you start thinking about a track bike and the track tyres and before you know Visa and Mastercard have you in their grip

Good luck and see you at Brands one day Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

jay81
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:11 - 23 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

im already thinking i need a new bike cant decide between gsxr k3 750 or 636 b1.any advice welcome.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:33 - 23 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either will make fine track bikes - the GSXR does have a decent chunk more power, meaning you're not struggling to keep up quite so much with tweaked or big capacity bikes.
However, a 600 should be pretty much all you need - I've seen people win races on 600cc sports bikes competing against others on thier British Superstock bikes - it's not about what you ride, but how early you twist the throttle Smile.

newbymick
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:44 - 23 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with G. A CBR600 is the usual weapon of choice and the one I would go for.

That said, I kept up pretty well on my Hyosung GT650R. Hard to believe I know but from what I saw of the guys on 1 litre bikes I had more fun. Sure they blasted me on the straights but it's carrying corner speed and getting the bike to hook-up coming out of the corner is where the fun is to be had.

Remember - it's not a race Wink so they say

bonzo
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:06 - 24 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at Silverstone on Sunday and unfortunatly the weather was exactly to forecast as it was snowing in the morning. Still chose to ride down there as i had travelled up 160 miles on the bike the previous day and it was all pre-booked. Everyone got the breifing and we were told to wait till around 11 untill they made sure the track was safe to use. None of the riders i talked to were that keen to go out as the track temperature was so low, but hung around as we were told we could get a money off another trackday in the future if the day was cancelled.

Come 11 o clock and we're let on the track and the groups start to roll out for they're sighting laps. This is when the mass carnage of crashing bikes began. First was someone in the Inters binning it on a sighting lap. Next was me unfortunatly loosing the front end on the same corner (Copse). Then a further 5 people from various groups crashed on exactly the same corner before the lunch time interval!!

I wasnt particularly impressed with Focussed events letting people out on a track thats only just thawed out. There were people out on the track for the first time riding strandard road bikes. If someone pays 100 quid to do a trackday they're going to obviously want have a go if given the go-ahead from the organisers. Having 7 people crash on the same corner within the first 2 hours stinks of more than just rider error to me. Especially when a couple of those were advanced riders.

Focussed Events should've cancelled the day and given everyone credit notes to use. That would've lost them too much money though..

newbymick
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:48 - 24 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, I expect, it has has lost them your repeat custom and that of others other that fell.

I expect that what they were looking at is that they had already paid out the money for the track, maybe 2-4K. By giving credit notes means a loss on the next track day.

That said, better to have repeat business that battered bikers and everyone calling them wankers.

Better luck on the next one - Try Brands hatch - Paddock Hill will scare you shitless Very Happy

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:08 - 24 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

newbymick wrote:
I expect that what they were looking at is that they had already paid out the money for the track, maybe 2-4K.

It was Silverstone, so it would not surprise me it circuit hire costs for the day would be about 10 times that.

All the best

Keith

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:13 - 24 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonzo wrote:
some stuff.

Absolute crap IMO.

You signed the indemity form, it was your choice to go out. You can't blame focused for your crash.

You didn't have to push hard.

Although I wasn't there I expect focused sent instructors out to inspect the track. They wouldn't have let out if it was dangerous.

Is it McDonald's fault for selling you the burgers that make you fat?

trismantis
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:14 - 24 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bonzo,
Were you the guy with mud all down the front of your leathers? I was sharing a garage with the guy on the green ZX7 who also crashed on the 1st corner.
Most of the people I spoke to that day did not enjoy it at all - it was just damage limitation - If you didn't fall off it was a bonus...

bonzo
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:47 - 24 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big_Ham wrote:
bonzo wrote:
some stuff.

Absolute crap IMO.

You signed the indemity form, it was your choice to go out. You can't blame focused for your crash.

You didn't have to push hard.

Although I wasn't there I expect focused sent instructors out to inspect the track. They wouldn't have let out if it was dangerous.

Is it McDonald's fault for selling you the burgers that make you fat?

Hi,

You are right to an extent. Of course i had no-one to blame but myself. You can ride in any condition if you ride appropriatly.
I asked a couple of the marshalls after the crash if they thought i was pushing too hard and they said no i wasnt. Im all for constructive critisism towards the way i ride as i want to improve. But when you slide off and not one of the organisers comment on what went wrong/ways to improve. Then continue to recover binned bikes in each session on the same corner after crashing in almost identical ways, it makes you wonder if they actually give a crap about your safety.
The majority of riders had either crashed out or packed up and left in fear of crashing before the lunch time interval. Its just poor customer service that this was allowed to happen.

To trismantis. Yes that was me.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 39 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2