Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

I fancy a two stroke.....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 13:26 - 02 Apr 2008    Post subject: I fancy a two stroke..... Reply with quote

I like my XR - reliable, capable etc but it lacks that fun factor. Sure, I really enjoy riding it, much more than road riding, but it lacks that certain thrill. Also, the maintenence of a four stroke is getting a bit annoying - constant oil checking and regular changes of oil and filter.

My thoughts are wandering to the KTM 300EXC....

Much more bike than I will ever need but it's got lots of power to scare myself on and none of those annoying oil/filter/valves. I know it will need a rebuild every so often and the premix might be a bit of a pain but the power, lightness and fun would make it worth while surely?

The other option is to get something like a 400/450 four stroke but then I'm back to the whole oil/filter/valves thing.

Plus strokers smell good Wink

Mike's Gasgas is a beast and a lot of fun, the fours somehow seem to lack this.

Has anyone had a two and a four stroke offroader and what did they think?

Cheers

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:28 - 02 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Thought the motocross world was heading back towards 2 strokes as they are cheaper to buy and require less maintenance than the high performance 4 strokes.

All the best

Keith

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 13:32 - 02 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

Thought the motocross world was heading back towards 2 strokes as they are cheaper to buy and require less maintenance than the high performance 4 strokes.

All the best

Keith

Well yeah, that's my thinking as well but having never owned a two stroke I'm a bit clueless about them.

JAMSXR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:35 - 02 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not an offroad bike but my RS125 was full power and just as fun as my GSXR or KTM. 2 strokes have that power band witch hits you like no other 4 stroke. You also have to work a bit harder to get the most out of the bike witch makes it really enjoyable when you get it all right.

The costs of my RS were top end re build every 9000 miles costing £450 and lots of oil!
Honda SFX50 > Aprilia SR125 > Aprilia RS125 > Honda RFV400 > K4 GSXR600 > KTM Duke > C1H 636 > K3 GSXR1000 > Aprilia RSV-R > Triumph Street Triple R > Ducati 899 Panigale > Aprilia Tuono 1100 > Triumph Daytona 675R > KTM SuperDuke 1290 2.0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 14:59 - 02 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no mechanic but surely a top end rebuild is easy enough with a manual and a bit of patience?

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 15:06 - 02 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
I'm no mechanic but surely a top end rebuild is easy enough with a manual and a bit of patience?

Its piss easy compared to a four stroke.
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

twotakt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:02 - 02 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were going to get a 2t offroader then the EXC range are really good. I don't know much about the 300 but apparently the 200 is an absolute beast that outruns/handles/brakes the cr/kx/yz 250's. I know someone who's got a 125EXC and even that is a little animal (I've seen vids of them outrunning RS125's!). The quality of parts on the KTM's are really high, I known some Rs owners on www.125ccsportsbikes.com use the KTM125EXC pistons in there Aprilia's as an preferred alternative to genuine Aprilia/Rotax parts.

If not a KTM then I'd go for a Cr250 over the rest.

+1 for top end rebuilds being easy on a 2t Thumbs Up

best of luck,
jack

twotakt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:08 - 02 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtube.com/watch?v=IetTJ6VNKYc

KTM125EXC VS. Honda NSR125

garyd
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:40 - 02 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

£450 for a top end rebuild !!!!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked in gold plate???? Confused Thumbs Down far too much

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:28 - 02 Apr 2008    Post subject: Re: I fancy a two stroke..... Reply with quote

I definitely like the idea of an 07+ 300EXC.

I wouldn’t get too hung up on the bigger ones, though – the 200 is supposed to be a very good bike.
While it may not be as easy to ride and a moderately fast, it may be easier to ride faster as it’s less likely to bite.
Claimed no-fuel weight of 97kg or something is pretty damn good too.

Blag a go on Michael J’s Gas Gas and I /have/ actually got my Hussy running now (in for MOT as we speak) so see if you can get a decent comparison between the two some time.
I didn’t try too hard when I had a play on it (maybe should have gone up the hill, rather than along the other way to the road Smile ), but it seemed to tick all the boxes.

4 stroke probably will be a little easier to ride on fast stuff, while the 2 stroke should be better on decently tight stuff (and picking it up).

JAMSXR:
I’m guessing you haven’t ridden a modern enduro 2 stroke then – sometimes even flatter than the 4 strokes on the big bikes, to give easy traction.
The more recent KTMs you can actually configure the powervalves to come in at different times in different ways to suit your riding.

ben_wheely
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:29 - 03 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTM used to make an EGS 200, which were pre-lubricated, so the oil was simply put into the oil tank at the front of the bike - like a normal 2-stroke. They are ment to be very good bikes, if you space the gearing out you can achieve a little over 100mph, which is probally terrifying on knobbly tires. Thing with this bike is i believe they have stopped making them, so you can only find them up to the year 2001 - i think.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:14 - 03 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think there's an EGS on ebay at the moment though (or might have been on VD, forget where I saw it) Smile.

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 16:41 - 03 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info chaps. There's also a rather tasty looking 300EXC on ebay at the moment. I have a bloke coming to see the Ninja possibly on Saturday - if he takes it then I might be having a bid.

I know I don't want to buy a new bike - especially one I'm going to chuck on the floor a lot but hypothetically speaking, how much do you think the KTM dealers budge on their prices? Is it like haggling for a road bike?

silky666
Captain Rulebook

PostPosted: 17:26 - 03 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
also a rather tasty looking 300EXC on ebay at the moment.

Hmmmmmm ! Thinking So there is Twisted Evil

Gaffa tape is like "the force" - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 19:47 - 10 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ktm.is/images/models/10-1.jpg

Must resist....

One thing that concerns me - nearly all of the KTMs I see out on the trails are 4t - part of me thinks they must know something I don't know or maybe they just go with the 4t herd? Is premix really that much of a ball ache?

The leccy start (which actually works on the 08) is seriously tempting me.

element
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:46 - 11 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

because alot of 4t are pretty good now. wr250f for example... You can even convert them to yz250f (40ish bhp?) Very Happy

also the 300exc are awesome bikes Twisted Evil

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 19:53 - 12 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I used to have an 06 300 EXC....

2 strokes.... you either get on with them or you don't I think... it was a great bike, handled well, although I hate standard KTM bars, they give me bad arm pump compared to standard yamaha WR bars (and yes I know you can swap them Laughing) it was "fun" I guess, but I MUCH prefered my mates older 02 WR426F... its horses for courses really....

I think the 300 is a good all round bike, an amazing enduro tool, very light and pretty damn fast, the 300 has 3 different "power" settings (presumably something you change on the carb I can't remember) the "medium" one was in mine, it was fast, good for MX tracks and woods alike, it did ride kinda like a 4 stroke a bit (compared to something like an RM125) its hard to explain but a few people said the same thing about theres.

It's a great bike, but ride one first if you can.... you might not get on with it...

If I could chose, I'd go for the 4 stroke every time now I think... but that's just me. Wink

also, the 07 onwards ktm 300 exc 2 strokes have electric start.. but they do kick fairly easily anyways.

premix is a pain in the arse, slightly easier if you van it everywhere and fill from jerry cans... but must be a pain in the arse on the trails.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:19 - 12 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the powervalve which you adjust to change how the power comes in, I believe.

A lot of people just keep a baby's bottle (markings on the side) full of 2 stroke in their tail-pouch. Write on in permanent marker the amount in litres for each graduation and filling up at the pump's not a big problem.

element
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:49 - 12 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

do u not need to ride differently on a premix 2t than you would on a autolube 2t? just something I heard but noone else seems to know..

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:59 - 12 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using premix you need to be aware that with the throttle off there is no fuel, so no lubrication going to the engine.

I believe people may slightly blip the throttle occasionally from closed to get some fuel and thus oil too, going through the engine.

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 15:53 - 13 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that KTM premix then, it would put me off a bit knowing that with no throttle there is no lube.
Slightly scary considering im used to a 4T.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

silky666
Captain Rulebook

PostPosted: 16:25 - 13 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmmmmmm. black rims .mmmmmmmm Embarassed nerf.

https://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t69/silky666/Bike%20Stuff/wankktm.jpg

Gaffa tape is like "the force" - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:34 - 13 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

wave2k wrote:
Is that KTM premix then, it would put me off a bit knowing that with no throttle there is no lube.
Slightly scary considering im used to a 4T.

I don't think it's a big issue in most riding. If your bike will idle, it's not going to be any worse than this as it'll still be getting some fuel.

What you want to avoid is going down a long/steep hill in a low gear using engine braking - so the engine is actually revving quite a bit, but the throttle is only delivering enough oil for it to rev just over idle.
Just need to clutch in and use the brakes instead in that sort of situation - or stick it in a higher gear, of course. Not a problem for short bits as far as I know, just for doing it for prolonged periods.

mr.tattoo
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:30 - 13 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 bangers are the bollox ive had many 300 motos and 380's. if you ragging it at high speeds just clutch if your off the throttle for a while, premix isnt a problem, takes 5 seconds extra when filling up, tis no biggy

https://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c77/jonnybigspuds/PB140224.jpg

element
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 15 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

had go on a 1 hour old KTM 125 EXC and holy ****. I tried a wheelie and almost wet myself with giggles. my DT takes a bit of effort but this wants to lift all the time.. Hell of a lot lighter than I expected too.. I got off and the only thing to describe it as is a 125 on steroids... Ive ridden a DRZ400E and a a 06 WR250F (rekluse clutch and FMF powerbomb) and they were no where near as fun as the KTM 125! I so badly wanna go on the 300 exc. I know a guy who knows a guy whose got one its just blagging a go.... Mr. Green
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 17 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2