Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

bike buying advice

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

v4forlife
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:05 - 18 Apr 2008    Post subject: bike buying advice Reply with quote

right, i seem to be getting into trouble on my r6, so im gonna calm it down a bit, and get a on/off road bike.

the main points are that it has to be 4 stroke, cheap, and pretty decent at off roading. any ideas?

im not looking for direct ebay links or im selling one right now tyoe things, just ideas about bikes, cause im clueless.

AAAthreat
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:13 - 18 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't owned one but from what i've read the DRZ400 would seem to fit what your after, or maybie an older Honda XR250/400. I fancy the CCM 404 when and if i pass my test.

DRZ400

https://images.fourwheeler.com/roadtests/bed_toys/129_0704_01_z+2007_suzuki_drz_400e+side_view.jpg

CCM404 This bike has the same engine as the DRZ400, WP suspension and i think its a bit lighter than the DRZ.

https://static.blogo.it/motoblog/CCM404ENDURO_01.jpg

dt125re
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:55 - 18 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello v4forlife

I would be interested in your opinion of the R6

v4forlife
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 08:16 - 19 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, originally, i didnt want an r6, cause every bastard has them, but i went into a shop near me, and there was a mint 02 one, not a mark on it, engine all clean, and the right price, so i got it. going from a gpz500s to this, it felt really really tall, but ive gotten used to it. the front end is a little scary, but apparently thats down to the tyre or something, but since ive gotten a road sct on, it does feel more stable.

loves to tip in, and hold the corner pretty well, but then again, all my previous bike had fucked shocks.
the power is enough for any road user, and ive seen 169mph on the clock, but obviously alot slower in real time.

carries luggage fine, though a tankbag makes it uncomfortable to ride with. stock exhaust is bloody heavy, so i whacked on a Ti akra slip-on, lovely sound, and less weight.
good bikes, but every bastard knows that, so you wont be an individuale.

right...those 2 look a tad bit expensive. im talking like buggie cheap.

any other ideas?

garyd
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:07 - 19 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

XR250 honda,1991 on pick those up for £800 +but..you will spend some on a shed of a bike!good bikes hold price so dont think that coming from the shiny to the dirt bike is a cheap option ,anything that is road/dirt isnt going to be the full monty off road,do a bit more homework,try TBM magazine lots of for sales and write ups on (mostly) new stuff Wink

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 08:36 - 21 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your budget, how much off and on road use will it get?
Why don't you want a 2 stroke Confused.
What sort of off-roading; greenlanes, bit of mx track stuff, enduros, etc?

v4forlife
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 11:57 - 22 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

budget, atm, not much, but it will be prob about 1200-1500ish.

i prefer 4 stroke, but if a good buy comes up, then i am willing to go stroker.

used for greenlaning and enduro, so gotta be able to take the rigures of enduro, and obv be road legal.

on road use will be limited really, to prob going to and from close tracks or greenlanes, and off road, well that depends on how often we get to go to places like bordon and salsbury planes(sp?)

was offered a '00 wr400 for 1250(down from 1400) with extras, but i aint got the cash right now...pooh.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:37 - 22 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ridden 2 stroke and 4 stroke off road bikes to judge the difference? If you're basing this on experience of on-road bikes you might be surprised - for example the 2 strokes I was riding last weekend had a flatter power delivery than the 4 stroke with twice the cc, I'd say!

As it's going to be primarily off road, I'd stay with a fairly light bike - a comp enduro one would be ideal; stuff like the WR; KTM EXC range; were it me, I'd be choosing the 2 strokes though; you drop about 10-15kgs in weight compared to the 4 strokes and they need less and cheaper servicing generally.

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 12:49 - 22 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised by how 'grunty' my little 2 stroke is, it really isn't anything like any 2 stroke roadbikes I've ever ridden. It's quite happy with chugging along at low revs, which I hadn't really expected.

JBurrows88
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:47 - 22 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

my second bike will be a 2stroke.. (so that's were my uni loan is probably going to go! lol

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:16 - 22 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:
I was surprised by how 'grunty' my little 2 stroke is, it really isn't anything like any 2 stroke roadbikes I've ever ridden. It's quite happy with chugging along at low revs, which I hadn't really expected.

Two strokes make more torque per CC than four strokes, however road bikes have more tuned engines. The fact that two strokes make more torque per CC means they *can* be tuned to higher levels than four strokes. Couple this with the fact that exhaust tuning makes more of a difference on two strokes, and you get some engines with a perfectly flat torque curve, and some engines with a ridiculously peaky top end delivery.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

v4forlife
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:43 - 22 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, less and cheaper servicing, i like the sounds of that.

so how much, generally, do strokers go for. def second hand. not sure of models either like i am with 4 stroke.

and i was judging it on road bikes. oops, my mistake, lol.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:14 - 22 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends how old you go - similar 2 strokes have been around for ages, while the comp-spec 4 strokes are a bit more recent.

A while ago I got a KTM350 enduro (2stroke 350cc, no powervalve so big hit as power kicked in) for £350. Had a v5, but would have needed some work to get an MOT.
Didn't start great due to HT lead, which was a really easy fix; that I did just before I sold it Doh!.
So, anything from around that, to the £5k or so they cost new Smile.

v4forlife
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:43 - 22 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

so what about models, etc. so i can start looking at ebay, biketrader, etc, and reviews. i know of the 300xc ktm, but thats cause a mate lent me red bull, last man standing, and DK rode one to victory.

and i def needf them to be road legal, or easily made road legal.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:06 - 22 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

XC is an american designation I think. In europe it's EXC. Also Gas Gas EC.
Suzuki RMX250, Honda CR250 enduro.
Probably some more, but that's all I can think off; the european models use the same designations for their 4 strokes. WR, any husaberg, CRF450x (probably too new) also worth looking at.

v4forlife
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:30 - 22 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, an rmx for 350 with 4 days to go, in cambs, just south of my mums.....ill give it a go me thinks.

twotakt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:19 - 22 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

RMX's and many similar Suzuki 2T's can experience problems with their powervalves, the AETC system that use they can be awfully fragile and expensive to repair.

A set of two powervalves are around £180 for genuine Suzuki parts (not many other alternatives, cougar systems are a similar price), put that on top of a replate ~£130 and a new piston kit and it can be quite expensive.

It's the same system that they use in the RGV250 Vj21 and Vj22, although the Vj23 system had some improvements which increased their durability.

A friend of mine had a RM250 (don't know whether it had p/v's) and he loved it and said it was a bit of a beast.
Also another friend had a RMX250 and the powervavle broke and he was left with a large bill.

Personally I'd steer clear of any Suzuki with the "older" AETC system. Unless you're willing to shell out ~£150 for a set of one piece cougar valves as a replacement, which apparently are alot more robust than OE items.

Just my 2pence piece Thumbs Up

Ta,
Jack

EDIT: Definately get yourself a 2T, so so so much fun

v4forlife
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:38 - 22 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

grrrr. fuck it, im just gonna mug it off for now and save for 2 years and get a new bike, then ill experiance both stroker madness and massive depreciation both at the same time.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:41 - 22 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of decent bikes out there - were it me I'd probably risk the RMX if it's quite cheap. If you're really worried, can always run it without a powervalve Smile - as I said, my KTM didn't have one and while it did give a decent kick when you got to the powerband, it had enough power below to ride gently if you wanted.

v4forlife
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:56 - 22 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea...well its at 350 with 4 days left, so i will keep an eye on it, but wont hold me breath...

twotakt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:10 - 22 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
There are plenty of decent bikes out there - were it me I'd probably risk the RMX if it's quite cheap. If you're really worried, can always run it without a powervalve Smile - as I said, my KTM didn't have one and while it did give a decent kick when you got to the powerband, it had enough power below to ride gently if you wanted.

Yea, thats true you could just remove the p/v's. You'd lose a bit of mid range but you'd probably gain a little in the top end Twisted Evil.

Best of luck,
Jack
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 9 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1