Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Went for a spin (+ crash (Bike almost fixed))

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

KLR600
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 23 Apr 2008    Post subject: Went for a spin (+ crash (Bike almost fixed)) Reply with quote

Well with the weather being rather sexual this week, me and Ghost from the forum have been getting much riding in. Ghost (aka Brendan) only got his bike 10 days ago so he's keen to get the experience and gain confidence. Anyway, after a few texts we meet at the prom in Llanfairfechan and we headed out to the first picture spot as I'd borrowed my better half's camera for the ride. I took Brendan on probably the most un suitable road ever for a sportsbike, a single track unclassified road out in the middle of nowhere with potholes and bumps that made it feel more like a rollercoaster than a road! All part of biking though!

So we reached the first spot and I got in position and took some pics:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/serenaur/IMG_8795copy.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/serenaur/IMG_8808copy.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/serenaur/IMG_8812copy.jpg

As Brendan was turning around to take runs at this bend I noticed he was cresting a bit of the road further up so off I went camera in hand to take some pictures there:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/serenaur/IMG_8817copy.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/serenaur/IMG_8826copy.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/serenaur/IMG_8836copy.jpg

(sorry, can't resist photowhoring my bike!)

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/serenaur/IMG_8845copy.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/serenaur/IMG_8849copy.jpg

(this one was not posed I swear!)

So after a few runs at the mound in the road we carry on over to the next corner I had in mind for some shots:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/serenaur/IMG_8863copy.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/serenaur/IMG_8865copy.jpg

Then literally 2 seconds after those 2 pictures were taken Brendan was sliding down the road and smashed into a grass bank at about 40mph! He jumped to his feet so I knew he was (relatively) ok but I ran down the road to him to check he was ok and to lift the bike up. We rolled it down the bank and inspected the damage.

He lost the front wheel on a catseye (from what I could see) and the bike tucked underneath him then he slid about 20 feet along the road and into the bank with one hell of a thump.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/serenaur/IMG_8868copy.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/serenaur/IMG_8870copy.jpg

The big gouge in the bank is where the bike hit it and the smaller one on the right is where Brendan shoulder/head barged it.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/serenaur/IMG_8872copy.jpg

You can see the slide marks and the bank in this picture.

Luckily he was fully kitted out with leathers and boots otherwise I think I would of been calling an ambulance Sad

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/serenaur/IMG_8874copy.jpg

after trying to get it going for about 20 minutes we gave up and we rolled it further down the road to a cafe where we left it to be picked up.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/serenaur/IMG_8877copy.jpg

I took Brendan home on the back of the Rex and we had a pretty uneventful ride back apart from an idiot in a Skoda tailgaiting for a bit and a merc who pulled out randomly for no reason as I was overtaking him but we got back ok and refreshed ourselves with a cup of tea courtesy of Brendans mum.

It was a good ride up untill Brendan came off but it was definitely an interesting ride! I think he should just get some twin spots and streetfighter his bike but as I write this post he's scouring ebay for new fairings! (And also nursing a sore shoulder and elbow!)

Last edited by KLR600 on 14:36 - 16 May 2008; edited 1 time in total

Ghost
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:33 - 23 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad Still pretty bummed about the whole thing, going to pick the bike up tomorrow and assess the damage and decide what to do next. Most likely plan is, as mentioned replace everything broken and chuck a headlight on it just to get it going and on the road, and things like fairings mirrors indicators and bits of plastic can wait until later. Keep an eye on this thread for updates on the repairs and ride safe Thumbs Up

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 21:35 - 23 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the ZXR gets broken for parts. Sell me the forks. Smile

Gutted to hear about the crash, I remember my first Low side. Its a gutting feeling.

Fair play on getting air though! Looks awesome. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:36 - 23 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame, some good photos and action shots except you keep leaving the damn helmet in them!

Insurance would write the bike off with the age and damage. Looking back at the FZR that I crashed, I should have gone down this route instead of splashing some cash only to get rid later.

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:39 - 23 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel for you. It's not nice when you crash. When I crashed I was just thinking 'If I didn't get ready so fast I wouldn't have had this accident'.

I hope you get it fixed Ghost Thumbs Up

P.S. Nice pictures of you getting some air Razz

Ghost
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:50 - 23 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind replies everyone Embarassed It's not as spectacular as it looks, I just had a very good cameraman on hand to make me look a better rider than I actually am Rolling Eyes
Cheers for the offer binge but I'll hopefully be putting the bike back on the road, as long as I don't find any serious damage under closer inspection tomorrow. An insurance company would very well write the bike off in it's current condition but I'll hopefully be able to repair it with second hand parts and do all the work myself so I should be able to afford it all.
Not that it makes it any less upsetting though, it's also quite embarassing to have crashed my pride and joy only ten days after I'd started riding it. That's what happens if you try and push too hard and too quickly I guess, at least I'm not (severely) injured and I'll learn for when I'm back on the bike again.

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:53 - 23 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 days, pfft, try 20 minutes later just after picking it up!

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:07 - 23 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:

My dad did a similar thing. 6 miles after picking up his RF600 he dropped it trying to turn it around.

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:12 - 23 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

ms51ves3 wrote:
Whosthedaddy wrote:

My dad did a similar thing. 6 miles after picking up his RF600 he dropped it trying to turn it around.

I managed to shut a lane off on the M25 for a while, never made the traffic news though.

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:01 - 23 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a bloody big bummer Shocked Crying or Very sad . Might I suggest, you inspect EVERYTHING that has and might go wrong with the bike before you become fully committed because you'd need to accept a huge loss if you do. I'm sorry to hear about your spill.

I kick myself in the balls for not heeding the warnings. I lowsided my ZXR250 and it cost me about 300 in repairs, no biggie. I lowsided my ZX6R and i had to replace my panels and respray and then my engine went pop, had to replace head bearings.

So, before you even think about doing anything cosmetically, check the running gear. You're lucky that being a kawasaki, the wafer thin engine casings held up?

So if i were you, i'd check the lockstops, head bearings, forks since they may indicate something that might loom later on. I know it's an old bike so it probably doesn't help things that much. I'd check exhaust in case it took a knock which may cause it to blow since it looks like mild steel. Whilst you have the bike off the road, inspect the airbox and change the oil. This is all speaking from experience. What should have just been a 400 quid repair ended up costing me 2 grand including an new engine!

But, i bet you're glad you wore your leathers that time around Thumbs Up . But i crashed my bike only after about 10 days of getting it too (my ZXR250), takes some time to rebuild your confidence but you'll be fine. That's one crash out the way then is how I view it. Karma Thumbs Up

Hope all goes well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mac_Black
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:48 - 24 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

This brings back upsetting memories of my NSR, I feel for you Ghost Confused Looks like yous had alot of fun though, good on you Wink

EddyJones
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:57 - 24 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got some some ratty fairings from my old zxr, definatly got the nose cone and one side fairing im sure.

Not sure which, but il PM you my number and il happily give you them if you pay for postage?

PS, if you do break it. Ring me Very Happy lol

Ghost
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:10 - 24 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well one side fairing is miraculously okay, I've found a matching one for the other side on ebay so I think cosmetically all I need now is the nose cone.

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 13:31 - 24 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kwaks dont like being laid on their side from what ive experienced too.
We put Jims ZXR4 in the back of my Pug to transport it from Ashford to Maidstone. While it was laid over, Not sure what happened but when we got it rubber side down again, it didn't want to start.

Not long after that, The head gasket went.

Oops.

Ghost
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:34 - 24 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.

Well I'm gonna check I've got a spark so I can hopefully rule out any electrical issues, perhaps drain the carbs and try again. Bike's in the garage now, but to be honest I can't bear to go out and look at it Sad
Might do a bit of work on it later on.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:04 - 24 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know exactly how you feel. I binned my 'blade the day after I picked it up. I couldn't go out to the garage to even look at it for ages, because it gave me a horrible sick feeling in my stomach.

Its nearly all fixed now, and I've got a new subframe to fit. Once I've done that I'll see if I can get a mint tail unit off of ebay and then it will be (nearly) mint again.

It broke my heart and my wallet when I had to buy a brand new top fairing, headlight and screen brace for it as there weren't any on ebay. It was sort of worth it in the end though because (as said above) its nearly all fixed, and its been rideable for the last few weeks.

Keep meaning to post some pictures, but I'm worried that if I do I'll only damage it again!

Seeing your bike in that state brought back that sick feeling to me, especially after looking so damn good in the photos above!

I really feel for you. Best of luck sorting it anyway - you'll find ebay is your friend! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 15:43 - 24 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happened to me when i had my 400 2 weeks after i got it, custom dreammachine paint job an all.
Now i dont really buy a bike without expecting that i could bin it, that way you arnt as arsed off when you do.
I wrote off nearly every single part on an RXS100 30 seconds after rolling it off the van, put it into the side of a taxi that pulled out, and i was also riding a GSXR750 at the time so it also goes to show sometimes speed means nothing.
The RXS crash was the most painful crash ive had, regardless of it being 100cc, and ive highsided 400s into hedges.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Phil_Norwich
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:56 - 24 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a shit. Saw it on 125cc forum but didn't realise you got air in the pics on there.

Hope it gets sorted soon.

Ghost
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:31 - 24 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little bit of an update guys, spent most of today recovering/repairing the bike and got a fair bit done.

Structurally it all seems okay, I was a bit concerned I might've bent the forks so i slackened all the yokes and clipons and rotated each fork leg a couple of times, then re tightened everything and it seems fine. Hard to tell of course but it looks spot on just by eye, and I've measured the gaps and distances on each lockstop between the barends and the frame etc etc and it's equal both sides so looking good so far.
New set of UK clocks came in the post today, ordered these last week off ebay before the accident as I wanted an MPH speedo and my rev counter wasn't working. they came with a new mounting bracket as well (lucky cos I bent the old one yesterday in the accident) so I've fitted them and now speedo, rev counter and temp gauge are all working and the clocks are positioned correctly, not hanging down and banging off the forks like they were before.
Also managed to get the bike started and running which is a big step forward, took the remains of the fairing, seat and side panel off to find a loom and several wires must've been caught in the slide and pulled slightly, breaking a connection into the CDI under the seat. Simple case of re locating the loom, inspecting for any damage and when I didn't find any, plugged the loose wire back in and she fired up on the button. Ran quite happily and seemed to be straight up and down the street, but after several minutes of idling I noticed a very small coolant leak from the core of the radiator so I'm gonna get some Radweld or similar in that tomorrow and see if it makes a difference.
So the list of parts I need to replace so far is looking like;

Front brake lever,
RHS fairing panel (left is mostly okay)
1 indicator and 1 mirror,
Nose cone, fairing mounting bracket and headlight assembly,
Screen and possibly mud guard if I can't repair it and maybe a radiator if I can't stop it leaking.

Here's some pictures of the bike as it stands now, hopefully I'll be able to repair it over the next week or so.

https://img259.imageshack.us/img259/3263/crashedzxr001ky9.jpg

https://img229.imageshack.us/img229/1453/crashedzxr002rd4.jpg

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:21 - 24 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to rub it in, but after you get your repairs done, take your tyres off! D207's aren't particularly the most confidence inspiring tyres that i had and feels wooden with no feedback - off they went.

This should make a "PROPER PROJECT".. I'll be interested to see how it turns out.

Ghost
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:27 - 24 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been told that the tyres aren't very good, but I didn't buy them and they're nearly new so I can't really afford to replace them just yet. I'll update the thread with pictures as and when I repair the bike, it's gonna be a bit of a project really.

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 08:46 - 25 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

binge wrote:
Not long after that, The head gasket went.

It's a ZXR400, that's nomal, to be on the safe side you should change the head gasket with every oil change.

Rawker
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:22 - 25 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe a set of R & G's would be quite a good investment aswell!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Odie This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Redundant). Unhide this post / all posts.

Ghost
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:03 - 25 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your concern Odie but that's not really how it happened. The bend I crashed on was a long sweeping left hander that tightened towards the end, and was part of a lovely wide two lane road that twisted through the moors and really was ideal for bikes of all kinds, sports included.
The roller coaster singletrack lane was just a shortcut to this location from the nearest A road. While being rough and bumpy was still fast and fun, and the fact I came off on the wide well surfaced bend rather than the bumpy singletrack just goes to show it was nobody else's fault but mine. Perhaps through a combination of lack of skill, inexperience and maybe just a little bit of bad luck, but I was the one riding the bike Sad
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 13 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2