Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Buying an off road 125cc

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

heartsgibby
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:56 - 02 May 2008    Post subject: Buying an off road 125cc Reply with quote

Hi forum,

New to this forum so looking for some help/ideas.

I am going to buy a second hand off roader, 125cc.

I have had a blast of a YZ and a 2003 KTM to which both are pretty fun. The KTM was more anjoyable as it was a newer bike.

I am looking for info on what bike to buy. I will be using the bike for off-road only and I am looking for advice on the best crosser to buy.

I am looking to spend around the £1000 mark, give or take.

If it can be cheaper all fair and well, any help on what to buy would be good.

Cheers guys

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:12 - 02 May 2008    Post subject: Re: Buying an off road 125cc Reply with quote

Are you going to just be doing motorcross, or other stuff?
If not, will the off-roading be purely non-road stuff, ie no green lanes?

heartsgibby
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:29 - 02 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be purely motorcrossing. I will be taking the bike in a van up bings etc.

Green lanes? What's that, excuse my ignorance?!

Thanks mate

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:46 - 02 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green lanes are trails which are also public roads - so you require a fully Taxed/MOT'd bike, but that doesn't stop them getting pretty technical in some case.

I'm not that up on pure-motocross stuff, but I suspect it will be a case of finding the newest/best condition bike you can for the money you've got; from what I've seen it's a bit like 600 sports bikes While magazines etc will find loads of 'differences', they are all pretty similar and it's more a case of getting the best deal when buying second hand.

heartsgibby
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:56 - 02 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the reply G,

I am just looking for any ideas on what types of bikes are decent and available. I'm not going to jump straight in and buy a bike although I do want to.

Just any ideas ranging from KTM's & YZ's. Don't really fancy a DT, more of a road-bike in my opinion. I'm looking for a total crosser.

If you have any odeas or can get someone to advise me, that'd be helpful.

Cheers again bud, appreciated

heartsgibby
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:56 - 02 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the reply G,

I am just looking for any ideas on what types of bikes are decent and available. I'm not going to jump straight in and buy a bike although I do want to.

Just any ideas ranging from KTM's & YZ's. Don't really fancy a DT, more of a road-bike in my opinion. I'm looking for a total crosser.

If you have any odeas or can get someone to advise me, that'd be helpful.

Cheers again bud, appreciated

heartsgibby
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:05 - 06 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any ideas would be helpful? Very Happy

2006 _p1
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:01 - 06 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

heartsgibby wrote:
Any ideas would be helpful? Very Happy

If you dont know much about maintenance on bike go for the 4T. 4T are just as good if not better than EDIT: 2T.

If going for the 2T i recommend honda. All the others are great but i think the honda's stand out! Thumbs Up

Last edited by 2006 _p1 on 14:31 - 06 May 2008; edited 1 time in total

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:13 - 06 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

2006 _p1 wrote:

If you dont know much about maintenance on bike go for the 4T. 4T are just as good if not better than 4T.

If going for the 2T i recommend honda. All the others are great but i think the honda's stand out! Thumbs Up

Sorry, but do you actually have idea what you're offering advice on? Confused
Generally the motocross 4 strokes require more and more regular maintenance than 2 stokes. If you don't keep the 4 strokes maintained it will get more costly quicker than on a 2 stroke.

To the OP, as for ideas, well err, you're looking for motocross bikes. So just go through all manufacturers motocross bikes, or better yet, see what is available at a good price. While there are differences between motocross bikes, the biggest one will be the condition/price at this end, I suspect. I suspect you'd have to be fairly reasonable doing it before you could notice the differences anyway.

Anyway, if you know you want a 125, that means a 2 stoke which is a sensible choice.

Some letters;
YZ, RM, CR, KX, SX.

heartsgibby
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:24 - 06 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that i'll have a look.

I'm thinking of getting a KTM, going to pay around a grand.

Any ideas on what type of corsser i'd get a for a grand?

Would it be a decent bike for that money?

Cheers again, appreciated mate

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:47 - 06 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the KTM crossers may be a little over priced in the lower regions, but really not sure.

I would just have a look at the sticky at the top of this section and go through the 'motocross' sections seeing what is available for £1k. Should be able to get a perfectly reasonable bike for that.

2006 _p1
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:30 - 06 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
2006 _p1 wrote:

If you dont know much about maintenance on bike go for the 4T. 4T are just as good if not better than 4T.

Sorry, but do you actually have idea what you're offering advice on? Confused
Generally the motocross 4 strokes require more and more regular maintenance than 2 stokes. If you don't keep the 4 strokes maintained it will get more costly quicker than on a 2 stroke.

To the OP, as for ideas, well err, you're looking for motocross bikes. So just go through all manufacturers motocross bikes, or better yet, see what is available at a good price. While there are differences between motocross bikes, the biggest one will be the condition/price at this end, I suspect. I suspect you'd have to be fairly reasonable doing it before you could notice the differences anyway.

Anyway, if you know you want a 125, that means a 2 stoke which is a sensible choice.

Some letters;
YZ, RM, CR, KX, SX.

Ok well i do know what im on. Ive had experance with 4 and 2T motocrossbike. You get a 4 and 2 stroke bike and see which one lasts the longest.

If you looking for reliability get a 4 stroke. But i think 2T are more fun!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:14 - 06 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

What motorcross bikes have you had 'experience' with? Is this from two specific bikes, or a wide range of different bikes?

I haven't had a great deal of physical experience with them myself, but have looked into the whole area a fair bit from my interest in enduro bikes.
By far the general consensus is that 2 strokes need less and simpler maintenance as well as costing less if it does go wrong due to the simpler engine design.

As an idea, these are the main engine things that have to be done every 20 hours on the latest KTMs (or every race):
4 Stroke:
Change Engine Oil
Clean oil screen and sump plug
Check and adjust valve clearances
Clean the spark plug and check for tight fit.

2 Stroke:
Check gearbox oil

4 strokes are generally considered a bit easier to ride, though do weigh more (ie 90kg vs 98kg for the above bikes(.
The older 4 stroke competition bikes tend to have even harsher service intervals; my Husaberg is listed as 10hours for 'trail' riding or 5 hours for 'competition' riding I believe, though as it's an enduro you don't have to look at valves quite so often.

If something goes wrong on a 4 stroke there's a hell of a lot of moving parts to sort out and mash together.
On a 2 stroke the piston etc is separated from the gearbox, so something like a seized piston is a lot easier to sort out than on a 4 stroke where there's likely to be damage to a lot of other gear, possibly with debris getting into the gearbox, etc.

2006 _p1
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:43 - 06 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
What motorcross bikes have you had 'experience' with? Is this from two specific bikes, or a wide range of different bikes?

I haven't had a great deal of physical experience with them myself, but have looked into the whole area a fair bit from my interest in enduro bikes.
By far the general consensus is that 2 strokes need less and simpler maintenance as well as costing less if it does go wrong due to the simpler engine design.

As an idea, these are the main engine things that have to be done every 20 hours on the latest KTMs (or every race):
4 Stroke:
Change Engine Oil
Clean oil screen and sump plug
Check and adjust valve clearances

2 Stroke:
Check gearbox oil

4 strokes are generally considered a bit easier to ride, though do weigh more (ie 90kg vs 98kg for the above bikes(.
The older 4 stroke competition bikes tend to have even harsher service intervals; my Husaberg is listed as 10hours for 'trail' riding or 5 hours for 'competition' riding I believe, though as it's an enduro you don't have to look at valves quite so often.

If something goes wrong on a 4 stroke there's a hell of a lot of moving parts to sort out and mash together.
On a 2 stroke the piston etc is separated from the gearbox, so something like a seized piston is a lot easier to sort out than on a 4 stroke where there's likely to be damage to a lot of other gear, possibly with debris getting into the gearbox, etc.

Good post. Ive had a range of 2T and 4T bikes, and yes there is more to go wrong with a 4T but its less likely to happen! As with 2 strokes the simple construction makes maintenance a lot easyer but 2T are prown to blowing up if you dont know what you are doin. I,e some inexperienced riders don't know how much oil is needed in the premix. Also cheap oil in 2T is just a death sentence.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 360 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1