Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

GSF600S Bandit - no spark

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

benvanwell
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:26 - 04 May 2008    Post subject: GSF600S Bandit - no spark Reply with quote

I was out for a lovely ride this afternoon, when I went to overtake a slow moving car. Dropped it down and went for it. Just as I pulled back in the engine died completely. Cue hazard lights and an apologetic wave as the car re-overtook me!

I couldn't see anything obviously wrong. It turned over fine but wouldn't catch, all the lights worked (I've checked the fuses anyway - all ok). Just got home (recovery truck) and I'm now stuck for ideas....

I have no spark!!
Something has failed (suddenly) that has caused this.
I've removed the tank and checked the primary and secondary HT coil resistances, and they are ok.
What else could it be?

Thanks,
Ben
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

2006 _p1
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:32 - 04 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe your spark plug gone....try a new one. maybe a simple fix.

benvanwell
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:50 - 04 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dead on at least 2 plugs - so unlikely to be the sparks dieing simultaneously. Thats why I thought it may be the coils - because I couldn't remember which 2 sparks were paired up. I plan to get more plugs tomorrow anyway, since they are nearly due a change.

Thanks anyway!
Ben
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

2006 _p1
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:59 - 04 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. try testing the coil on a multi meter. or buy a new one..

benvanwell
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:14 - 04 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Primary coils are both at 3.5 Ohms, and the secondary are both around 30k. I think I've got those values correct. Either way, all resistances were within the specified tolerances so I think they are both working fine!

Cheers,
Ben

2006 _p1
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:43 - 04 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah try the plugs and then get back to us!

Ichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:43 - 04 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kill switch? Side stand switch failed? Fuses?

Anyway, its 1 and 4 for coil 1, 2 and 3 for coil 2. Are any plugs sparking?

Check the connector blocks around the headstock.

benvanwell
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:09 - 04 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the kill switch pressed it won't (and shouldn't) turn over - since the bike does turn over I doubt it is that.

Similar with side stand switch. It shouldn't work when in gear, but I have the problem in neutral.

All fuses are fine.

I'll check all connectors and the plugs fully tomorrow (and the switches while I'm there with a multimeter), but I'm pretty sure all obvious connectors are fine and no plugs are sparking.

Thanks,
Ben

timjim
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:30 - 05 May 2008    Post subject: bandit a gogo Reply with quote

try swapping the coil packs from left to right..the nearside fires nos 1&4 plug,the offside 2&3,swap over and recheck the spark..good luck!!

benvanwell
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:35 - 05 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've rechecked all spark plugs - and none of them are sparking. I've even put in a new set of plugs that I forgot I had (the change was due soon anyway!) All connectors and switches are operating as they should.

I phoned a suzuki dealer, who had no mechanics working today, but they have a 3 week jobs backlog. I'll try again tomorrow, and hopefully speak to a mechanic. Failing that, maybe I can persude them to work a bit later one evening...?

benvanwell
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:05 - 07 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just gone back and rechecked my sidestand switch, as others have suggested that again. As far as continuity goes, it's closed when the stand is up as it should be. However, I've just measured the resistances.
With the stand down, it is open circuit. WIth the stand up it is measuring ~300kOhm. I though it should be ~0Ohm?

I tried bypassing the switch, but this still doesn't lead to a spark, so I'm still none the wiser - but I wonder if my sidestand switch is faulty all the same?

StealthDJ
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:56 - 07 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had something very similar to this manifest on my SV.

About six months after I bought it, some little shite tried to chisel the ignition (and failed), but damaged the key flap in the process. About a year and a half after that, I started getting all kinds of fun. Sometimes it cut out at high revs, other times, I could sit and spin the starter all day and get no spark.

Turned out, the contacts in the bottom of the ignition switch had virtually given up, particularly one that is an earth from the CDI. Without that one earth line being grounded, you get no spark at all, but everything else, including the starter, worked fine.

Try some contact cleaner in the ignition and switch, and jiggle the key about while you're trying to start it. Worked for me until I got a new one... Alternately, find the earth in the connector block that attaches to the ignition switch and manually earth it while trying to start the bike.

(FWIW, the sidestand cutout, clutch switch and kill switch all stop the starter from turning, so you can fairly reasonably discount them as being the problem and no, I don't think they're supposed to go closed circuit when the stand's up)

benvanwell
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:13 - 07 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, thanks!

Thats a couple more things to try when I get home. I have suspected that there must be a missing earth somewhere - unless my CDI really is bust (and I sure hope not).

Another area to check might be the ignition pickups - but again I can't see how they could fail so catastophically!

Cheers,
Ben

StealthDJ
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:53 - 07 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem.

Haynes is your friend Smile (for a change). I'm willing to bet it'll show a dedicated earth line direct from the CDI to the ignition. It'll also show the ignition pickup inputs to the CDI, so you can bung a multimeter on them too and spin the starter. You won't get an accurate voltage, but you'll get an indication of whether there even is a signal. You can do the same with the low tension outputs from the CDI to the coils.

Oh and without wanting to be patronising, you have checked all your fuses, right? Wink
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 6 years, 233 days between these two posts...

snodgrba
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:25 - 25 Dec 2014    Post subject: Bandit 600 won't start Reply with quote

Need some help! I recently purchased a go kart that has a bandit 600 engine. It ran but the engine was radical. I had to change the sprockets because it had no low end torque. While I was working on the engine I found the pulse generator wires were melted. I replaced the wires but still no spark. I replaced the coil, I left the old coil bracket. The old coil checked out ok with an ohm meter. The new coil has ~160 ohms. Still no spark. I replaced coil packs, no spark. I replaced the ICU. No spark. I've removed the interlock wiring. Has to be something simple! I'm thinking it has to be a ground problem.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 125 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1