Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

My 2008 Yamaha R1 Review

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bishbash
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 27 May 2008    Post subject: My 2008 Yamaha R1 Review Reply with quote

Greetings all,

Well I have had my new bike for 3 weeks now and done nearly 2000 miles on it. I absolutely love it. so here is my little review on the bike;

Specs;
Engine
Engine type - Liquid cooled, 4-stroke, DOHC, 4-valve, forward inclined, parallel 4-cylinder
Displacement - 998 cc
Bore x stroke - 77.0 x 53.6 mm
Maximum power - without induction : 132.4 kW (180 PS) @ 12,500 rpm / with induction : 139.0 kW (189 PS) @ 12,500 rpm
Maximum torque - without induction : 112.7 Nm (11.5 kg-m) @ 10,000 rpm / with induction : 118.3 Nm (12.1 kg-m) @ 10,000 rpm
Carburettor - Fuel injection
Clutch type - Wet, multiple-disc coil spring
Power - 180bhp
Power to Weight ratio - 1.017

Chassis
Chassis - Aluminium die-cast Deltabox
Front suspension system - Telescopic forks, Ø 43 mm Front travel: 120 mm
Rear suspension system - Swingarm Rear travel: 130 mm
Front brake - Dual discs, 310 mm
Rear brake - Single disc, 220 mm
Front tyre - 120/70 ZR17MC (58W)
Rear tyre- 190/50 ZR17MC (73W)

Dimensions
Length (mm): 2,060 mm
Width (mm): 720 mm
Height (mm): 1,110 mm
Seat height (mm): 835 mm
Wheel base (mm): 1,415 mm
Minimum ground clearance (mm): 135 mm
Dry weight (kg) 177 kg

Write up
Looks
Personally it is the best looking bike I have ever clapped eyes on. Its brilliant design qualities turns every head glance into a full stare at the beautiful bike. It is sleek, sexy and full of interesting angles. The colour scheme I chose is probably the best out of the selection that they offer for this year. With the great under seat exhaust system on it, it really gives the bike an evil and minimalist look to to the rear.

Acceleration
Only found one bad point so far and that is the initial pull away, it feels like it struggles, I find it does this up to 4000 rpm, maybe it is the way I ride and needs a few more thousand rpm to get a great pull away. But as soon as it pulls out of that zone......Well with its 180bhp and minimal dry weight, it's a rocket. Unbelievable smooth and immense power on this machine. 0 - 100 mph is just breathe taking and a pleasure, it can do that in just over 5 secs I believe, but I have not had it any where near that. It has yet to scare me, so I need to work on that.

Handling
It is bloody lovely to corner. Cornering is one of my favourite things to do on bikes and this machine is one of the best bike I have ridden for cornering. It feels smooth and easy to do. I am yet to experience the full extent of the steering damper that it has as standard.

Braking
2 X triple pot callipers on the front and a single pot on the rear, these brakes could stop a freight train. The brakes are responsive and effective in any circumstance. Top notch!

Fuel ecconomy
Well its a sports bike, so its not going t be anything special. But it has an 18L tank with 3.4L reserve, I have had 165 miles out of a tank with a few fast squirts in that period. So you can get more out of it I am sure.

Sound
It does sound rather tasty with the standard exhausts on it. On tick over it sound pretty cool, when revving it sounds very powerful. I would love to hear this bike with straight through exhausts, I am sure it will sound very, very nice.

And now the pics;

https://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r94/Neileng/R11.jpg

https://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r94/Neileng/R1-2.jpg

https://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r94/Neileng/R12.jpg

https://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r94/Neileng/R13.jpg

And finally me on my bike Very Happy

https://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r94/Neileng/R15.jpg

Well I hope you enjoyed this write up. Thumbs Up Very Happy Thumbs Up

BB

Trackday videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/bishbash13
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

physbar monkey
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:51 - 30 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorgeous bike!

Good write up too Thumbs Up

NinjaLee
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:14 - 30 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

good write up mate and a lovely bike Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes

PostPosted: 09:46 - 01 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

parallel 4-cylinder?

Looks nice though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jockey
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:33 - 01 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely colour, and the gold wheels are great, enjoy it and don`t break it. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Very Happy -Jockey.

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:56 - 01 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

180bhp must be pretty intense Mr. Green

Bishbash
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:14 - 02 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dom_ wrote:
parallel 4-cylinder?

Yeah that does sound quite strange, some of those stats were off of the Yamaha website. That part especially. It should be in line 4, no?

Mr Jamez wrote:
180bhp must be pretty intense

Yes, very intense, but its soo smooth with it. Not as scary as I thought it would be. But it does shock you when you glance at the speedo every now and then! Wink

BB

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 12:34 - 11 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

the hesitation to pull your head off right from the off, is the same on my 06 R1...its cos first gear is geared to high, i dropped the front sproket by 1 tooth and the "struggling" went away Thumbs Up

MarkyPancake
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:29 - 12 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my 04 R1 for three years next week and still love it! In general I like the 07 and 08 models, but I don't like the change they made to the rear and the way the underseat exhausts are now presented. I prefer the 04's exhaust layout. It's not a big change but enough to put me off getting one of the new R1s.

The 04 was famous for its midrange power dip, supposedly due to the way the bike was set up to satisfy emissions requirements, but this was soon rectified with race baffles in the stock exhausts, because I think they look better on the bike than any race cans, decatted Y-pipe and Power Commander. It now runs cooler and has much more linear power delivery. I believe Yamaha built a completely new engine for the 07 model and this was supposed to address the midrange power dip.

Bishbash
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:18 - 12 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigT19 wrote:
the hesitation to pull your head off right from the off, is the same on my 06 R1...its cos first gear is geared to high, i dropped the front sproket by 1 tooth and the "struggling" went away Thumbs Up

Ahh, cheers bud, I will look into that and test it out, thats a nice, easy, cheap fix to an annoying problem. I might lose a few mph out of the top speed, but who cares, I will never get it that fast anyway. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

BB

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 14:33 - 26 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

didnt effect my top speed tbh, there restricted to 186mph and they are geared to go abit more, mine got the slightly smaller front sprocket and i still hit the restrictor in france a few months back.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:41 - 26 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bishbash wrote:
Dom_ wrote:
parallel 4-cylinder?

Yeah that does sound quite strange, some of those stats were off of the Yamaha website. That part especially. It should be in line 4, no?

Technically no, as they refer to parallel/transverse 4 as being mounted across the frame, and in line 4 would be mounted with the exhausts sideways, like a BMW k series.

Cheers
John
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 307 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1