Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

will a race exhaust make my rs125 faster?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

texas peat
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:21 - 22 Aug 2008    Post subject: will a race exhaust make my rs125 faster? Reply with quote

will fitting a race exhaust improve the speed/performance of my bike and if so how much faster will it be..will it be bottom end or top end improvement?
is it a simple job..could i do it myself??
and which are the best ones??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 16:24 - 22 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Marginal difference, and likely to exchange some bottom end power for extra top end power. Assuming you get the jetting right. Fitting it is easy. Getting the jetting right isn't so easy.

All the best

Keith

texas peat
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:28 - 22 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks keith!! what does getting the jets right mean?? its just that my mate has a arrow exhaust on his bike and his seems a lot faster than mine.

also,how many revs does your power band last for(if thats the right terminology),cos mine seems to come in at around 8000rpm but it seems to die out at 10,000rpm,is that right?? just bugging me that my mates bike is faster than mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 16:35 - 22 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Jets are the bits in the carb that determine how much fuel can flow at different throttle openings. Too large a main jet and it will run rich on large throttle openings, which will lose performance. Too small a main jet and it will run lean on large throttle openings which will again lose performance but also run the risk of seizing the engine.

Aprilia exhausts have got rather worse over the years. Basically due to bits stuck in them to get through emissions tests. On mine the power comes in about 8000 and ends just under 11000, but mine is an early one and has the 34mm carb as standard as well.

One thing worth checking is that the power valve is in the right way up. Quite often people get this wrong and that loses a fair amount of top end power.

All the best

Keith

texas peat
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:48 - 22 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

only had it a few weeks keith and im an absolute beginner where bikes are concerned. have you any tips/advice on what to check for..maintenance and performance wise to keep it tip-top???

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 16:53 - 22 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Keep a spare spark plug with you (in the tool kit). Use a decent oil. Keep the chain adjusted and lubed. Keep it reasonably clean. Don't thrash it until it is properly up to temperature. Do the services (including changing the rings when required).

All the best

Keith

texas peat
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:56 - 22 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

think my chain does need lubing actually,it seems quite dry..any you recommend? and what are the rings i need to change?? i might have a go at that if its simple enough. want to learn as i go along..put a new spark plug in the other day(br10), i was well chuffed with myself!! Very Happy

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 16:59 - 22 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Pretty muh any chain lube. Or just oil (messier but does a good or possibly better job).

Rings go around the piston and seal the piston. Top end engine strip to fit new ones.

Spark plugs are not that long lived on 2 strokes (nowhere near so much of a problem these days), but carrying a spare means you can easily put it in at the side of the road should one fail.

All the best

Keith

texas peat
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:01 - 22 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for info keith. i wont pester you any more..(for today anyway,lol.) Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 249 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1