Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

I can has Petrolz?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 17:52 - 19 Aug 2008    Post subject: I can has Petrolz? Reply with quote

So, for the first time ever this morning, I ran out of petrol on the bike, completely out, reserve and all. On the way to work. To think I was always of the self righteous opinion, "how stupid do you have to be to do that". Rolling Eyes

Popped in to a garage Friday night to fill up, but was closed for unexplained reasons, so I drove across the forecourt, thought sod it, and rode home, thinking I would deal with it on Monday morning.

Despite the fuel tap being on reserve, and the trip meter reading well over the max miles, I somehow managed to convince myself that I had filled up, and had just forgotten to reset the tap or guage.

Still, good to see that despite nobody nodding to each other anymore, 3 out of 4 bikes stopped (excluding piss pot wearing C90 riders for a moment) to ask if I was ok, including a well dressed chap in a Merc who apparently owned a Ducati, and a cyclist of all people!

Bit of a pointless post really, but just thought I would share my muppetry. Wink
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

yandy_yay
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:55 - 19 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops bad luck mate, I only ever did i once and the push to the petrol station was enough for my brain to remember never to do it again....Well until next time Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:02 - 19 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm, been riding the TDR for about 2 months and ive managed to do that about 4 or 5 times, thankfully most times ive had friends with a jerry can come and bail me out.

I find the "lean the bike to the left* so any remaining petrol goes to the petrol tap" technique is very handy Thumbs Up

*or right if thats the side your petrol tap is on

c_dug

Graham88
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:15 - 19 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran out twice on my VFR when I first got it.

I was unaware of what a reserve tap was. Very Happy

prawny1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 19 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

my virago wouldn't go on to reserve one time (electric) so had to push to the first petrol station which had closed down, the next one i got to had been waiting for a delivery i didn't wait as i don't fill up if the tanker is there/due because you get all the crap from the bottem of the garage tanks (condensation dirt rust dead rats etc) so i pushed to the next garage finnally filled up,

I ended up pushing for about five miles and Im 6.5 so pushing a low handlebarred virago is a bit of a pig called college told them i wasn't coming in and went home i was knackered as you can imagine hot summer morning, carrying a rammed rucksack leather bottoms and jacket and a helmet to carry,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

spike_Alike
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:41 - 19 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do it all the time on the ZXR, the reserve doesn't work Rolling Eyes

yandy_yay
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:43 - 19 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

prawny1 wrote:
the next one i got to had been waiting for a delivery i didn't wait as i don't fill up if the tanker is there/due because you get all the crap from the bottem of the garage tanks (condensation dirt rust dead rats etc)

So your saying that petrol station fuel tanks have a fuel pickup that lowers itself as the fuel level goes down, an not just sat at the bottom of the tank like any normal designer would have put it ?

Coxyzxr
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:49 - 19 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did it once actually on my way to the petrol station but thought I'd skip the first one as I *thought* I had enough petrol.

I was flying passed cars on the way only for them to fly past me about 4 minutes later as I'm pushing it along side the road *car toots* as he drives past "Yeah thanks for that mate..." . I must of looked a right dick. Rolling Eyes

Jebus
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:41 - 19 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the best time i did that on my wee dt125, ran out of petrol as i rolled into the station had to push it to the pump lol close shave!

Deano_44
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:56 - 19 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I nearly ran out of petrol on Sunday, riding back home on some lovely country lanes when the petrol light comes on. I think, "ok I will fill up in the next town," three towns/ villages later there is still no petrol station.

Luckily hiding behind a tree and some houses further along there was one, in fact there were about 3! So that saved some embarrassment and a long walk!

Very Happy

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 20:06 - 19 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate the south west.

These days I do a lot of work down to the south west often late at night and in the early morning mainly using the A303. There have been a lot of petrol station closures down there.

Couple or weeks ago I was in Exeter at 1am. Who would have thought all the petrol stations close at 11pm, theres only one open and that's a Tesco pay at pump one hidden outside the main EX1 post code.

I hate the south west.

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:16 - 19 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best thread tittle...ever Very Happy

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 08:41 - 20 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run out on the RXS, I had left the petrol tap on and there was a very slight leak. I had been ill for 3 weeks at uni and not rode it. I thought I had a good 10 miles left. So went into town and had to push the bike to a petrol station. For those of you that know Portsmouth I pushed it from where the registry is to the shell garage near lidl it was about 2 miles. This was the first day I felt like I could leave the house after being ill for 3 weeks so I wasn't in the best condition.

On the S4 I ran out just coming into the petrol station, I also run out about 2 mins walk from the petrol station. The funniest time was after the AU ball, I had pulled that night and was taking the lady to breakfast in the morning (Classy, me) Afterwards, we said our good bye she drives off I ride away not a minute later I splutter to a halt I was thanking christ she had buggered off, I was bailed out by my flat mate that time.

The TDM when I first had it I thought I had enough of reserve to get to work but I ended up 2 miles out I had to jump in a cab and get some petrol. that time, that was an expensive mistake.

Knacker
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:58 - 20 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once took my fuel line of the carb so we could use some petrol for BBQ, I didnt realised how much i took and how much i had left. Got on bike for work next day and got about a mile and a half of a 3 mile journey, With the nearest petrol station about 4 miles away Embarassed

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:03 - 20 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tap on my TDM is on the other way round from my previous honda, that explained the first time...

Who ever owned it before must've owned a honda and for ease of use decided to turn the tap around so when it was pointing to 'on' it was actually on 'res' and vice versa, that explained the second time.

Got it licked now though. Rolling Eyes

Thumbs Up

(Don't think I'll ever grow bored of calling this bike a heap of shit. Its arguably the worst thing I've ever bought... Ever...)

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:15 - 20 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bike do you have these days anyway Goosey? Smile

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:18 - 20 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive only really pushed the bike once close to running out of petrol, the zx10r flashes FUEL at you on the digi speedo and you get the petrol light coming on, i got about 20miles out of the bike then got to the garage, its easily done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 09:22 - 20 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I,ve never ran out of fuel but the closest l,ve had was in Finland on my XR650R with a 25L tank (250 mile range) middle of nowhere running on reserve trying to make it to the nearest town 30 miles away, made it to a pay at pump with only a cups worth of fuel left in the tank.
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian

PostPosted: 10:13 - 20 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

You deserve it goose, for being a muppet!

If you run out again, check to see if there's petrol in the tank by throwing a match in there, if it sets on fire, then you know you still have teh petrolz!

Wink

Luke
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:27 - 20 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe we've all done it Laughing

reu
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:51 - 20 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been there got the t shirt except i was in a field about half a mile from my house so wsnt to bad. Unlucky mate lesson to be learnt now isnt there? Laughing

msgander
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:01 - 20 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
how stupid do you have to be to do that

And yes dear, I do believe that several years ago I was on the receiving end of that quote!! (or similar!!!).....

Sign of getting old I believe... Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 223 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1