Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

GSX-R400 GK71F

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

TAX MY BRAIN
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:04 - 26 Aug 2008    Post subject: GSX-R400 GK71F Reply with quote

Just got my hands on this little pocket rocket,
Can't wait to get it on the road, its still got mot but the bike is in need of a few man hours and some cash throwing at it.

First thing i did when i got her home was to strip the back end out
seat off, plastics, seat hanger, battery tray, back wheel, mud guard all taken off, got in there with the degreaser a tooth brush n some good old elbow grease.

Re-painted the seat hanger, battery tray and shock,
new chain and sprocket, new rear indicators.

Im now part way through stripping the front end, going to need a full exhaust system, fork seals, some more degreasing !! and a paint up of the rad guard n clock hanger,

Brake calipers will need looking at, tank requires a re-spray
the list will go on no doubt,
well thats where i am at the mo!!

Heres is a few pics of the bike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

prawny1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:20 - 26 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother had a d-reg impulse (gk71e) had a right game getting it to run right turned out to be a pulse coil breaking down, just a heads up incase yours starts playing up and running on two cylinders. We changed everything ignition coils, plugs, cdi, we stripped the carbs loads of times even did the valve clearances a couple of times before we figured it out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TAX MY BRAIN
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:33 - 27 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the advise,

The bike seems to be running ok apart from running a bit rich...
have been told this could be due to warn carb rubbers, wondered if your brother had the same trouble or you could advise ??

im just waiting on a set of forks and a set of exhaust headers
soon as got them fitted will be tackling the task of getting the bike running sweet,

Need all the help i can get the parts are hard to find and this is the first suzuki i have ever worked on,

looks like i picked a pig !!

well nothing like a challenge hey !!

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 18:15 - 27 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worn rubbers would make it run lean if anything. I'd suspect it's got a dirty air filter.

Keep us updated with the project!

Gazb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TAX MY BRAIN
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:40 - 27 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the tip there, new air filter needed by the sound of it, going to bung new leads n plugs, oil n filter change also,

The bike has had years of neglect..... good job the bloke who had it before me loved chain lube and not cleaning it....... under all that grime its in good nick !!

Will keep you all updated on progress, going to add more pictures once i figure out how to make the pictures small enough to post

TAX MY BRAIN
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:07 - 27 Aug 2008    Post subject: Here's the pictures i promised Reply with quote

The bike so far

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 19:21 - 27 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rear end's come up a treat! White wheels are good for that, with a bit of elbow grease they look stunning.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

TAX MY BRAIN
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:27 - 27 Aug 2008    Post subject: parts and manual Reply with quote

cheers for the advise,
This bike is a pain in the a*** to get bits for the closest bike i have found is the gk71b the british version of the bike ( i belive ) correct me if im wrong,

The bike came with a manual buts its on cd-rom bit of pain to look through, would much rather flick through the page of a book!!

Gonna try a set of exhaust headers for a gk71b that i got off fleabay, will have to see if they fit, the ports should line up its just the angle it takes under the sump that worries me !!

Also got a set of forks for a later model, complete with yolks and bearings , im hoping these will bolt straight on !!

Wish me luck or call me a fool and say no way they wont fit

well fingers crossed

jack_zxr400
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:27 - 27 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck with it!

looks like its going well so far, hope to see the final pics Wink

TAX MY BRAIN
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:09 - 28 Aug 2008    Post subject: FIRST SET BACK !! Reply with quote

The forks came today........and guess what........they are a couple a mil bigger than the original's on the bike and the axle bolt is differant,

Plan A

If i go down the route of making these fit im gonna need handle bars to fit these fork tubes an axle bolt and i thinking the wheel spacing may not be the same so could be another wheel too.
its sounding like a nightmare.

plan B

Get the old forks re-cromed.

Plan C

try to find some forks that will slip straight in,

Ideas anyone??

p.s thanks for your post's they will be an engouragement to keep going with this project !!

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:39 - 29 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good, I like the shape of the tail looking at it from the rear, but from the side it looks a little dated. Thats kinda cool in itself - but I couldn't be doing with having 'Full Floater' written on the side of my bike!! Mr. Green

Mudskipper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:43 - 29 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might find a browse around the 400GB and old skool suzuki forums helpful too:

https://www.400greybike.cc/newforum/index.php

https://forum.oldskoolsuzuki.info/cgi-bin/Yabb/YaBB.pl

Thumbs Up

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 10:52 - 29 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Fork wise I would get them rechromed.

As mentioned there was a small batch imported officially of that model (I was told 50 were imported, mainly intended to be sold for racing). Pretty rare though even when newish.

Don't think the gk71b was officially imported.

All the best

Keith
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

TAX MY BRAIN
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:42 - 31 Aug 2008    Post subject: FULL FLOATER Reply with quote

Cheers marjay
RE- FULL FLOATER......

It does'nt look good the full floater bit and i can tell you for sure it will be coming off when its re-sprayed !!,

im guessing its the japs who put this on with no thought to what it meant in english

dont want it known as the turd bike !!

TAX MY BRAIN
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:49 - 31 Aug 2008    Post subject: suzuki gsx-r400 models Reply with quote

full list and spec of the gsx-r400
just follow the link below not sure how to add link just cut n paste to your browser

https://www.suzukicycles.org/GSX-R-series/GSX-R400.shtml

TAX MY BRAIN
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:48 - 31 Aug 2008    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

Fork wise I would get them rechromed.

As mentioned there was a small batch imported officially of that model (I was told 50 were imported, mainly intended to be sold for racing). Pretty rare though even when newish.

Don't think the gk71b was officially imported.

All the best

Keith

Hi

your knowledge of the gixser 400 impresses me,

so do you think im mad trying to restore this bike to its former glory??

or would you yourself just street fighter it , cutting the hassle of trying to get the right parts and paint job to make it look like it should if you get my drift,

regards steve

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:10 - 31 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Afraid 99% of streetfighters to me just scream "wreck that the owner couldn't be bothered to fix".

Personally I would fix it. With luck the fairing lowers will be available as a fibreglass piece, but probably no longer advertised.

All the best

Keith

TAX MY BRAIN
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:52 - 31 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

Afraid 99% of streetfighters to me just scream "wreck that the owner couldn't be bothered to fix".

Personally I would fix it. With luck the fairing lowers will be available as a fibreglass piece, but probably no longer advertised.

All the best

Keith

guess wot...... i have the lower fairing it came with the bike its in blue
but hasnt got the fixing holes to fix to upper fairing, so with a bit of care and a drill should be able to fix it up !!

TAX MY BRAIN
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:29 - 06 Sep 2008    Post subject: HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY Reply with quote

The exhaust turned up yesterday........

Its from a gk71b and guess what it fits !!!!

so if there is anyone out there hunting for a set of down pipes too fit a gk71f grey import i can assure u a gk71b fits,

gonna have to modify it a bit so i can get an end can too fit,

soo all is looking good,

TAX MY BRAIN
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:15 - 25 Sep 2008    Post subject: progress so far Reply with quote

Was having trouble finding a set of forks....... a mate said go see gary burton at cawston just down the road from where i live in norfolk ( g.b motorcycles ).

Turned up to his workshop bike parts piled high as the eye can see
asked if he had a set of gsxr400 gk71f forks, now let me see, yeah i got a gk71f in a barn down the road so off i go tools in hand with the young saturday boy in tow,

The barn doors swing open and there it is a gk71f with a great set of forks on it , my lucks in here !!

I undo the forks and take the cailpers to thinking these could come in handy,

I head back to the workshop and do a deal for £40 bargin ,

The bike had sat for 10 years and no one has ever asked for parts for a gk71f EVER !!

Moral of the story sod fleabay get yourself down to your nearest motorcycle breakers you never know what will turn up

TAX MY BRAIN
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:21 - 25 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the restoration is back on track,
all thats left to do now is fit forks, exhaust and can, and a few little minor jobs

Then its painting the fairing's that need a bit off plastic welding too,
so all is looking good,

the next question is do i prep and paint the fairing myself or pay a few quid to get a real top class job ??

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:57 - 25 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAX MY BRAIN wrote:
the next question is do i prep and paint the fairing myself or pay a few quid to get a real top class job ??

Depends how good you are at painting and how good you want it to look. But a real top class job would probably cost most than the bike is worth.

All the best

Keith

TAX MY BRAIN
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:04 - 25 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
TAX MY BRAIN wrote:

Depends how good you are at painting and how good you want it to look. But a real top class job would probably cost most than the bike is worth.

All the best

Keith

I've done ok paint jobs before with aerosols but wanted a better finish than aerosols give,

I've got a compressor with water trap and paint gun in the shed just never got round to having a play with it,

Looks like a crash course in spraying is on the cards

anything that moves will be painted hehe !!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 218 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2