Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mito 350 - Project PMS update: Road test cretin engine

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:16 - 06 Sep 2008    Post subject: Mito 350 - Project PMS update: Road test cretin engine Reply with quote

right, i've now got a cagiva mito project thing that cost £100 off jackdim... i knew it was a shitter from the photo i got sent...

https://img139.imageshack.us/img139/3503/dsc004365je1.jpg

so yeah... realised what i got myself into.

after the collection, and jacks lack of faith in my transport arrangements (upright in a people carrier held up by seatbelts) we went on our merry way.

she had a bit of a hissyfit at moving house, and nearly smashed through the window to get out on a particularly sharp corner, but other than that, was a pretty eventless drive home.

so then came the stripping-ish to see the extent of the damage/ragging. turns out it wasnt that bad! other than the naff all compression (hoping for a holed piston rather than a ruined bore) it all seems ok-ish.

so we got home, dragged her out and shoved her on a paddock stand, and ripped her face off.

https://img385.imageshack.us/img385/9352/06092008281ra0.jpg

followed by removal of the seats/panels etc to find... no battery! (along with no key, that makes matters even more awkward, oh well)

i decided to bodge it a bit to test the electrics using a battery charger.

https://img247.imageshack.us/img247/1255/06092008283xs6.jpg

and then i went about hacking up the ignition to hotwire the thing so i could get it going properly before i splash out on a lock set.

https://img233.imageshack.us/img233/9558/06092008279gk1.jpg

success! she glowed nicely, all the electrics work, and the solonoid pings! (should turn with a charged battery).

https://img377.imageshack.us/img377/1108/06092008282aq4.jpg

so yeah... thats all so far from today. stripping continues tomorrow, until then its all tucked up in bed for the night.

https://img377.imageshack.us/img377/5711/06092008280hn1.jpg

the plan is in the long run to turn it into a mito 350 at some point, which would be pretty fucking cool, but at the moment im going to get it running as a 125 temporarily (also means i can sell the working engine to go towards the 350 parts).

im also beginning to think the previous owner was a right fucktard (before jackdim i mean)...

the docs say...
it was imported/sold in 2005 for £1600.
has an MOT certificate saying 21000 miles.
IT NOW HAS 24000 miles.

so basically, from 2005 to whenever jack got it, it had done 3000 miles ish, and managed to get royally fucked!

even if the kid had owned it to this day, it would have cost him like £1.40 per day of owning it! apparantly jack got it off him for about £20, so yes... the kid was a mong.

stay tuned sports fans

cheers mito queers xxx
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith

Last edited by mattsprattuk on 22:12 - 15 Aug 2011; edited 7 times in total

Moonie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 06 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know theres a hundred times easier way to hotwire them yeah?

The blackbox comes off the back of the barrel with 2 screws Laughing

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:25 - 06 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moonie wrote:
You know theres a hundred times easier way to hotwire them yeah?

The blackbox comes off the back of the barrel with 2 screws Laughing

fucks sake... tell me that AFTER ive completely mullered the lock with an impact driver.
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green

Moonie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 06 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahah I've been starting mine like that for 8 months since the key snapped.

The tank lock eats the key and wont give it back, then you tug it and you get the plastic bit back on it's own.

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:26 - 06 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

little update... as i dont want to sleep, i went for a play...

managed to find a battery for it (that i spent about an hour looking for earlier today to no avail).

it had a little charge left in from when i last charged it about 6 months ago, and the engine turned nicely! only thing is that the starter clutch seems to have an intermittent sticking fault, but by the looks of it its pretty rusted in there, so ill whip it out for a clean.

i found a nice full tank of 2 stroke oil, a fuel filter full of fuel.

i also did a poor mans compression test, and theres quite a bit of the stuff!! so maybe no need for a rebuild, just an exhaust.

i did find however that there was no spark. probably a wiring fault i suppose, so ill play tomorrow.

battery is on charge at the mo ready for tomorrows tinkering... and ebaying for a new (well, 2nd hand) exhaust system.

Tristan.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:57 - 06 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a plan, if we get a tin can with no top (or soup in it) and knock a nail through it, then hold it over the port do you reckon we'd get a vague bit of backpressure? To be fair we probably wont get round to it by the time we've finished touching ourselves because of my new bike.

Fnatic
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:25 - 07 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.members.lycos.nl/yagiva/yagiva/525%20kuip01%20web.JPG

Track bike it with the SP 525 fairings from www.mito350.tk Thumbs Up

https://www.freewebs.com/tomppade/Mito%20sp.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 08:16 - 07 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tristan the wrote:
because of my new bike.

WHAT?! What's this about sir?!

mattsprattuk wrote:
i also did a poor mans compression test

Plug out and finger over the top stylee? Laughing

lllN30lll
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:30 - 07 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsprattuk wrote:
little update... as i dont want to sleep, i went for a play...

managed to find a battery for it (that i spent about an hour looking for earlier today to no avail).

it had a little charge left in from when i last charged it about 6 months ago, and the engine turned nicely! only thing is that the starter clutch seems to have an intermittent sticking fault, but by the looks of it its pretty rusted in there, so ill whip it out for a clean.

i found a nice full tank of 2 stroke oil, a fuel filter full of fuel.

i also did a poor mans compression test, and theres quite a bit of the stuff!! so maybe no need for a rebuild, just an exhaust.

i did find however that there was no spark. probably a wiring fault i suppose, so ill play tomorrow.

battery is on charge at the mo ready for tomorrows tinkering... and ebaying for a new (well, 2nd hand) exhaust system.

https://www.125ccsportsbikes.com/forums//index.php?showtopic=11667&hl=mito+350

this will help you mate, quite a few members have done the 350 conversion and put a lot of helpful links up for conversion kits etc.

lllN30lll
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:33 - 07 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://img89.imageshack.us/img89/7062/mitouptodate001wx9.jpg
https://w1.bikepics.com/pics/2006/05/31/bikepics-599568-800.jpg
https://maurord.altervista.org/_altervista_ht/mitofinita1.jpg

and dougon2wheels's conversion.

https://www.bikepics.com/members/dougon2wheels/95mito125/

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:45 - 07 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

just managed to get hold of an expansion chamber... £40 delivered. about average price, but it was literally the only one on the internet.

i think the 350 will have to wait, as i had no idea how much they cost, so until then, it will be my 125 track/race bike Very Happy

at the moment, its all working other than the spark. there isnt one!
i doubt its the plug as it looks fairly new.
the powervalve servo is also missing, but this wouldnt stop it running.

any ideas on what to check? tristan and i couldnt figure it out. even tried clipping the HT lead, stripping it to do a poor mans plug cap, and re-wiring it with an online manual PDF thing.

Tristan.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:12 - 07 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got a drill? Some of my fairing bolts wont come off.

Also Chris, new bike = pink.

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:23 - 07 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

lllN30lll wrote:
https://maurord.altervista.org/_altervista_ht/mitofinita1.jpg

That looks so impressive Drooling

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:33 - 08 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tristan the wrote:
You got a drill? Some of my fairing bolts wont come off.

Also Chris, new bike = pink.

what is MSN for???

also... i now have a (very weak) spark! spent about an hour today scratching my head about why it wasnt sparking, then touched the end of the HT lead as i turned it over, and got a little buzz... only time ive ever been happy to be electricuted.

heres the problem...

what the FUCK do i do next to get a stronger spark? im going to try cleaning the contacts etc, but it seems like its losing charge somewhere along the circuit (cant think of a more logical explaination)

any other possibilities as to the cause? when a CDI dies, it goes suddenly right?

cheers queers xxx

Moonie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:27 - 08 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do what I did and prod everything with a multimeter until you find what's going wrong

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:30 - 08 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earth them properly, as in make a new earth, just for the coil straight to the frame, that should help.

And yeah, if a CDI goes it goes, it wont half work or anything.

Cheers
John
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

twotakt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:10 - 08 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you've tested the sparkie cap? Coil and Leads? avec the multimeter?

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:31 - 08 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackdim wrote:
I assume you've tested the sparkie cap? Coil and Leads? avec the multimeter?

at the moment im testing for a spark by cutting the HT lead back to the core and touching it on the frame to make sure when it works, a bad plug doesnt cause me to miss it.

its exactly the same when i use the HT lead from the lifan.

unfortunatly i dont have a multimeter, so cant check the coil. i've checked all obvious connections, found 2 which i was sure would solve the problem as one had a snapped off bullet which i re-crimped, and the other was green/blue, so i scraped it off and re-fitted.

still the same Sad

am i right in assuming that a coil is a coil? and near enough any one will fit provided its a single?

Moonie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:41 - 08 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multimeters are about £4 you cheapskate Laughing

Tristan.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 08 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a multimeter, do you have a drill?

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:48 - 08 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tristan the wrote:
I have a multimeter, do you have a drill?

if you supply the bits, then yes.

twotakt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:45 - 08 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most coils are interchangable (on 2t's anyway) i.e. a rg125f coil worked on my mates aerox 50cc

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:48 - 08 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, the CDI works... i think theres a dodgy wire somewhere as i was fiddling around with the engine turning just a sec ago, and got a shock that made me wee a little.

so just a case of finding the bastard. its definatly related to the 3 connectors entering the CDI, so i replaced all the connectors and clipped the wires...

still the same.

i think its teasing me.

any ideas?
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 182 days between these two posts...

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:44 - 10 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would appear i havnt updated this thread in ages...

UPDATE:

its becoming a mito 350.

the engine mounts are on their way after spending an extortionate £211 on them delivered, ive ordered loads of brakey things like a hydraulic clutch conversion, as well as a brembo front master cylinder.

both of which look sexual as illustrated.

https://img5.imageshack.us/img5/1157/10032009292i.jpg

the 125 engine sold for £250 plus £30 delivery, so thats me £100 in profit after buying everything.

im reboring the barrels tomorrow at work, and sending the crank off in 2 weeks when money permits.

getting the engine mounts welded in by a guy i know this thursday because my TIG isnt quite up to scratch, especially on aluminium alloy. i've been sent a tracking code for the parcel, so it should definatly be here by then.

so then i got the fairing professionally resprayed and they came back like this, at a grand total cost of 5 lottery tickets... considering this normally costs about £400, ive done pretty well.

other than that, here she stood before the engine removal:

https://img5.imageshack.us/img5/6521/28012009282.jpg

and heres how she stands now, albeit in a shed in many more bits.

https://img16.imageshack.us/img16/9459/28012009283.jpg

so not much left to do!

in 3 weeks, the engine should be rebuilt, sorted, and ready to run, then all thats left to do is get the exhausts.

and to all those people who said it would never happen...

Laughing @ u

hmmmnz
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:42 - 11 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

who said it wouldnt happen??

and your not done yet Mr. Green Thumbs Up
keep it up though Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 22 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8