Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

My first crash. Damn it hurt. Yay I'm a statistic!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Askura
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 04:46 - 15 Sep 2008    Post subject: My first crash. Damn it hurt. Yay I'm a statistic! Reply with quote

First crash for me 2 days ago, as a result I've broken my left shoulder, my right hand and wrist and have a stupid amount of cuts and burns.

Kinda put all my current plans out of line for now.

So what happened?

Basically I was coming along a nice long bend where I live on the way home, it's a 60mph road and I was just under the speed limit as this is the road where I did my first knee down. The only problem with this road is that it looks like a nice easy bend, but half way through it cuts a little sharp. Kinda forcing a knee down, or slow down on me. I'd also like to add I was less than half a damn mile away from home...

As I usually follow the knee down approach as I want as much practice as I can..I dropped down and took the bend as usual. HOWEVER. Some bastard (Kids I assume) left some corrugated iron or something left in the middle of the road for me to hit just at the sharp point. As it was 3am and I was on the way back from my friends place I didn't see it until I was almost on it.

Well damn.

My bike hit the iron and flipped to the right, bringing me with it. Upon first contact with the tarmac I then flipped along the road, rolling high speed until I hit the curb, which at that point I had something nice and solid to wrap it all up with. I was up on my feet almost instantly shocked, damn well confused but angry all the same. First instinct was to pull my helmet off after struggling with the clasp, and swear. So I did. At this point a car went past, avoided the sheet of iron, then continued on.

Bastards.

Although at first I couldn't recall the details of what happened, looking back I can see clearly what happened and even remember the abject panic and the thoughts that I should tuck my body in as I started rolling on the tarmac. Everything was stupidly slow when it happened, my guess is when you think you're going to die, the mind says to you "Hey, these are your last moments...let's get it all in detail" and let's you appreciate everything before you go.

I went to my bike, which at this point I couldn't really tell what damage was done, and picked it up, or rather failed to as my left arm wouldn't move.

Kinda swore a little more here and used my body to prop up my bike and get the kick stand out so I could see the bikes damage. Everything control wise seemed either broken, twisted or just fuc**ed. But it started. So with that I rode back to mine, ditched it behind my garage and went and took a shower. (Shower looked like a murder scene afterwards) Thought I'd try and sleep off the damage...

But when I woke up it hurt like hell so went to A&E with a friend and got given the hard details of what has happened to me.

So here I am now...

Atleast I'm alive I know, but I'm still agitated by what has happened. I now know how some of you feel when I first read about crashes on here.

Sucks eh? I don't want any sympathy as I know I was reckless as all hell,

Oh and I've added some pics of the area where it happened, I'll get on taking pics of my bike.

https://img205.imageshack.us/my.php?image=crashpiconeyi8.jpg

https://img205.imageshack.us/my.php?image=crashpictwovk3.jpg

kitty kat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:39 - 15 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

It bloody hurts when you come off doesn't it? Been there, done that Sad At least like me though, you have relatively minor injuries compared to some recent crashes on here.

Wishing you a speedy recovery Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Joenitro
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 08:59 - 15 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad your still in one piece Thumbs Up Hope your bike isn't expensive to fix.

Askura
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:55 - 15 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah stings a fair bit. Thanks guys. My tax disc was handed in by someone who lives up the road from me, didn't even notice it had came off like. Made me laugh though.

Hopefully the bike will a quick and cheap fix, here's to hope

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:00 - 15 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the next six weeks of second guessing yourself. Sad

Soon as you are able to get your arse on a bike, even if it is only pillion. It helps defeat apprehension when you are ready to go back out on the road yourself.

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

meach
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:50 - 15 Sep 2008    Post subject: Re: My first crash. Damn it hurt. Yay I'm a statistic! Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your crash, hope you and bike heal soon.

Askura wrote:
Sucks eh? I don't want any sympathy as I know I was reckless as all hell,

I wouldn't really say you were reckless...... you were under the speed limit, you know the road, it wasn't your fault some **** had left the metal in the road
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:28 - 15 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't ride faster than you can see, the OP knows which is why he put his hands up to it. In better conditions he'd have seen the obstruction and been able to do something to avoid it.

Fair play to him for putting his hands up without blaming everyone and everything else.

The max speed limit is the maximum that you should be travelling in ideal conditions, not all conditions.

yandy_yay
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:05 - 15 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

GWS mate, hope the bike doesn't take too much ficing up either, take it steady and don't let it put you off too much.

Kal wrote:
The max speed limit is the maximum that you should be travelling in ideal conditions, not all conditions.

+1 Thumbs Up

Mudskipper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 15 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal wrote:
Soon as you are able to get your arse on a bike

He did, and with a broken shoulder too!! Laughing Now that's hardcore... Razz

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:58 - 15 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did mean mean without the benefit of shock, but seeing as I rode for a few hours after I broke my wrist I'll accept your reply and basque in the reflected glory of such an enterprise. Thumbs Up Cool

bs16
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:29 - 15 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal wrote:
I did mean mean without the benefit of shock, but seeing as I rode for a few hours after I broke my wrist I'll accept your reply and basque in the reflected glory of such an enterprise. Thumbs Up Cool

I hate being the typo Police but that is one of the best ever. Thumbs Up
So were you in the contested region of Spain or ladies lingerie Laughing

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:39 - 15 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, thank you, thank you - I'll be here all week.

What can I say except but for physcial restraints beyond our control I have been depraved all year and my mind wood currently have to ascend several levels in order to reach sewer levels.

Fortunately parts arrived for the bike at the weekend so I should have my ride back in the next couple of weeks and that will provide me with a great deal of relief once I have made sure everything is properly lubricated in a thorough service.

Alex-RS
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:46 - 15 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kudos for getting that bike home mate, can't have been easy.

GWS!

Moonie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:45 - 15 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

GWS soon mate.

The Corrugated Iron could well be farmers not kids, they're terrible around here for leaving all kinds of shit on the road, including a track for a CAT digger Shocked

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:16 - 15 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Construction traffic. They drop loads of stuff on their way to fly tip it.

tutton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:23 - 15 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get well soonage.
waiting upon bike pictures Razz

Askura
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:34 - 16 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudskipper wrote:
Kal wrote:
Soon as you are able to get your arse on a bike

He did, and with a broken shoulder too!! Laughing Now that's hardcore... Razz

Would be if I was aware...ignorance is semi bliss!

Kinda thought I'd be afraid after a crash. But I'm keen to get back on as soon as I can. Bike was picked up by a mate of mine and taken to a local bike shop so it may be fixed up pretty soon. Thanks for the support guys, I'll try to get some pics before they work on it.

Need to work on some kind of hobby while I'm out of action methinks~

Any ideas?

Kal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 16 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about origami?

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 226 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1