Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Does your bike ever warm up in this freezing cold mist?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

apple tango
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:19 - 15 Dec 2008    Post subject: Does your bike ever warm up in this freezing cold mist? Reply with quote

The commute to work this morning was appalling. Even after 6 miles my engine hadn't warmed up.

All the way there my bike was coughing and spluttering, with hardly any power at lowish revs. It sounds and feels like the bike is low on fuel, but its not.

For pretty much all the journey i had to have the choke fully out (causes the bike to idle at like 3k), which Ive never had to do before.

There's no way to really avoid this is there? Apart from obviously warming the bike up for 10 mins before setting off in a garage or something.

repiV
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:30 - 15 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it could be carb icing. Does it run fine at high revs, and stall when you're off the throttle? Are you getting abysmal fuel economy?

I was having a nightmare of a time with the Fazer, but super unleaded fixes it completely. Assuming it is carb icing you're suffering from. Also, look into Silkolene FST/Idleboost.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

apple tango
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:44 - 15 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

repiV wrote:
Does it run fine at high revs, and stall when you're off the throttle? Are you getting abysmal fuel economy?

Yes to the first 2 questions. I'm not sure about the fuel economy. I havn't noticed any difference recently, but the bike only started doing this today. I may be able to tell come the end of the week when its due a fill up.

I'll look into that Silkolene FST stuff, or try super unleaded.

Cheers

kev...
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:46 - 15 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tape half the rad up on mine Thumbs Up

repiV
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:48 - 15 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

apple tango wrote:

Yes to the first 2 questions. I'm not sure about the fuel economy. I havn't noticed any difference recently, but the bike only started doing this today. I may be able to tell come the end of the week when its due a fill up.

Cheers

Sounds like it's definitely carb icing then in that case. I got about half the usual fuel economy on freezing days before I sorted the problem...it's an expensive issue to have!

I found the Silkolene made a slight difference, whereas the higher octane fuel completely solved the problem. It runs perfectly now even in -5 and thick fog.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:48 - 15 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redline it, my BROS gets up to temp pretty quickly doing that off the lights in the morning Thumbs Up

apple tango
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:57 - 15 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

repiV wrote:
apple tango wrote:

Cheers

I found the Silkolene made a slight difference, whereas the higher octane fuel completely solved the problem. It runs perfectly now even in -5 and thick fog.

So are you now always buying the super unleaded fuel during these cold months? Or did you just fill it up once with it, then switch back to the cheaper normal unleaded?

I think you're right about the carb icing. The bike is garaged, but its a shitty cold damp one. When i go into it on a morning, my bike is glistening in damp and condensation or something. It can't be doing it much good, and these foggy wet mornings aren't helping too.

Last edited by apple tango on 22:04 - 15 Dec 2008; edited 1 time in total

apple tango
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:59 - 15 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr jamez wrote:
Redline it, my BROS gets up to temp pretty quickly doing that off the lights in the morning Thumbs Up

I always shit my pants about revving the tits off it or redlining it when the engine is cold though, or am i just being a wimp?

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:05 - 15 Dec 2008    Post subject: Re: Does your bike ever warm up in this freezing cold mist? Reply with quote

apple tango wrote:
For pretty much all the journey i had to have the choke fully out (causes the bike to idle at like 3k), which Ive never had to do before.

Ever think that having the choke on is actually causing problms with the plugs getting too much fuel in the mixture to burn properly.

There is a very interesting thread in the workshop section about this.....

Sorry but tis no where near cold enough for your carbs to ice up.

Try cleaning all the crud out of the air box.
The problem is more likely to be moisture in there that is causing the problem with the idle jet. Once you are abve say 3K you are onto main jet and its less effected by heavy moisture.

repiV
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:14 - 15 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

apple tango wrote:

So are you now always buying the super unleaded fuel during these cold months? Or did you just fill it up once with it, then switch back to the cheaper normal unleaded?

I will be - it was my first tank of the stuff a few days ago and it's run absolutely flawlessly since, whereas beforehand it would run like shite on cold mornings. One particularly cold day I had to go up to Taunton for work, and the 70 mile round trip ran the 22litre tank almost half dry.

You will need to keep filling up with super unleaded to see the benefits, I can't remember exactly why it works but it's much more resistant to the cold. It's also worth noting that I chucked some Silkolene FST in before I filled up, so it may be a combination of the two that's solving the problem. If one alone doesn't work, try both.

Quote:

I think you're right about the carb icing. The bike is garaged, but its a shit cold damp one. When i go into it on a morning, my bike is glistening in damp and condensation or something. I can't be doing it much good, and these foggy wet mornings aren't helping too.

Yeah, I have to leave mine outside. It was getting caked in ice overnight so I've started covering it, which can only help. Although I did find that the bike ran fine initially (as in, for a few seconds) and then after moving off it started running badly.

repiV
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:17 - 15 Dec 2008    Post subject: Re: Does your bike ever warm up in this freezing cold mist? Reply with quote

iooi wrote:

Sorry but tis no where near cold enough for your carbs to ice up.

My mechanic disagrees...and he had the same problem with all his Fazers, solved in the same manner. If the temperatures are freezing outside, why wouldn't it be cold enough for the carbs to ice up - especially when you factor in windchill?

It's been -3 in the mornings when I leave for work quite often lately. Always ran like shite in the morning, usually ran fine in the evening. Only happens when it's near freezing outside. Sounds like something icing up to me...

kitty kat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:41 - 15 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never had a problem with my Fazer, even when I was setting off from home at 4.30am 2 winters ago, bike standing outside in freezing temps all day then heading on an 80mile trip back home again. I have never had to use choke, if I do use it the bike won't start and mine is not the best maintained bike in the world. I only changed the factory fitted spark plugs this year at 43000 miles, as an example of my bike maintenance and in 48000 miles it has had 3 oil changes Shocked

bigwill
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:19 - 15 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

my bandit6 used to do the same in this shit weather mate, get some of that silkolene pro fst stuff that the guys are on about, that should get rid of it. I used to ride for about 4 miles before hitting the throttle hard on it to get it working a little better just so i know the engine has warmed up enough.

rotax81
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 00:02 - 16 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

kitty kat wrote:
I have never had to use choke, if I do use it the bike won't start and mine is not the best maintained bike in the world.

without sounding funny Confused if you are not using the choke then you need to service it more often, getting the right things serviced.
it just points to your bike permanently running rich and wasting fuel/wearing it out Wink

......................................................................................................

to the original poster. it certainly sounds like carb icing to me, i used to get it on my old zx7r from novenber through to april.
doesnt have to be less then 0 degrees to ice up Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mord
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 00:43 - 16 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2-3 mile winter commuting looks like this...

- 10 minutes putting my gear on
- 15 minutes of warming up the engine (choke for 15 seconds then idle) - eating breakfast, putting gloves on, pushing bike to a driveway
- 5 minutes riding
- 10 minutes locking the bike (2 chains) and covering it

Laughing Laughing

salty21
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:01 - 16 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 minutes warming the engine up Shocked, bit drastic if you ask me lol.
mine gets a roll to the end of the road(100m ish) and maybe a minute at the end as the neighbours have all complained about the noise of me leaving it running outside while i gear up Rolling Eyes

dont know if its just me but my bike loves the cold, it feels loads better to ride, much more responsive on the throttle.
the colder the better as far as mines concerned.

strag
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:45 - 16 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is perfect weather for carb icing, cold and damp.

Ben.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:11 - 16 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

as long as mine doesnt cut out whilst its idiling my bike is loving the ultimate BP petrol and cold air.

everyone will says its carb iceing because bikes and cars can be prone to it in this weather...

next time it feels funny, leave it for 5 mins then set off, if the problems worse its you useing your choke wrong, if it gets better its carb iceing.

Mord
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 09:32 - 16 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

salty21 wrote:
15 minutes warming the engine up Shocked, bit drastic if you ask me lol.

Enough time for breakfast Laughing It's a tiny engine which doesn't want to warm up quickly lol.

Somehow when I start riding the temperature goes down a bit but then after a minute or two it's back to proper level again. For those two minutes I ride like a granny.. then I rev it Cool

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:47 - 16 Dec 2008    Post subject: Re: Does your bike ever warm up in this freezing cold mist? Reply with quote

repiV wrote:
My mechanic disagrees...and he had the same problem with all his Fazers, solved in the same manner. If the temperatures are freezing outside, why wouldn't it be cold enough for the carbs to ice up - especially when you factor in windchill?

It's been -3 in the mornings when I leave for work quite often lately. Always ran like shite in the morning, usually ran fine in the evening. Only happens when it's near freezing outside. Sounds like something icing up to me...

Well the freezing point of petrol is -60, Yes i know that its mixed with very cold moist air.
Perhaps your Mech needs to take a look where the carbs are sited as if anything like 99.9% of bikes that is right behind a great big lump of HOT metal. Which when winds passes over it warms up, and should keep the carbs warm enough not to freeze up.

Perhaps it could also be the siting of the air intake. Might help to make up one that takes air for behind the block to make use of the warmer air.

Cold moist air is a lot heaver and it is more likely to be excess moisture in the mixture that causes the problem, when its run through the small idle jet.

How do you think the likes of skidoo's manage to run is really sub zero temps.

Your engine will get pretty much as hot on a freezing day as on a warm day.
If you don't believe how hot your engine gets, on one of these cool damp mornings, try touching it after a run Shocked Laughing

Jamrock
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:51 - 16 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

She takes a couple of minutes of riding in the lower gears to warm up but she enjoys the cold other than that, I swear it makes the bike run better.

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:10 - 16 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye my ZX6, I dont really go over 6k unless i have 3 bars on my temp guage, and in this weather is seems to take twice as long to hit that...

Why is it whenever i get a tailgater its always when i have cold tyres and a cold engine... Motherfucker cant you see the crazy amount of smoke coming from my exhaust, back off...

Oliver_FF
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:15 - 16 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta give full credit to Honda - another CBR600f here that starts first time in this weather and doesn't even splutter as the automatic choke does its business Thumbs Up

Just gotta be careful though as it tends to idle around 3.5krpm when its still warming up... which is like 18mph in first gear... You tend to shoot off rather rapidly XD

MinhDinh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:08 - 16 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am having trouble until my bike reaches 65 celcius. when i first had my bike 55 celcius was okay in cold like this. in the summer i have no problems. i went to a garage who said he couldn't put anti freeze because he was clsoing up but he also advised me not to get it done. the bike is 3 and a half years old now. any ideas? or is it just normal?

magpiemale
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:17 - 16 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bike runs okay in the winter average temp 80-87 fazer 1000 though it is new'ish Embarassed so no carb icing for me.I will say this my 92 NSR125 used to go high on the rev's and then low then high while hardly any power to move it forward and it was jerky too but only on certain days in the winter.Then I used FST pro in the tank and never had a problem after that you only need to used it while in winter which is just as well as it is expensive just to put it in your tank.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 105 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2