BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Noisey CB250N

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Pretendra
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:09 - 20 Oct 2008    Post subject: Noisey CB250N Reply with quote

Hello, there is a loud progressive knock from the bottom end of the engine. could some one please help.

I just finished the restoration job last week and fired the engine. The engine was pretty smooth except for the balance chain, which was rubbing against the lower crank case due to excessive slack. i rode the bike for around 8 kilometers and noticed that the oil pressure indicator was illuminated, turned around and headed home. i opened the engine and noticed that the oil strainer was completely choked. After cleaning the strainer the oil pressure was back to normal. But noticed that the engine has become extremely noisy and becomes louder as the rpm rises.
Due to my stupidity and ignorance i feel i will have to completely redo the engine.
I guess i need to work on the crank.
Could some one please advice on the procedure. never worked with shell bearings on a bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Finglonga
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 20 Oct 2008    Post subject: Re: Noisey CB250N Reply with quote

Pretendra wrote:
Hello, there is a loud progressive knock from the bottom end of the engine. could some one please help.

Sounds like you have shagged the big end bearings by riding it with no lubrication. As you have probably realised now the oil light means turn the engine off straight away, not turn around and ride home.

Pretendra
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:28 - 20 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Finglonga what you said is true. i should have done that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:23 - 20 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Unfortunately, Honda oil lights are a device which tells you that your oil pressure dropped well below adequate about five minutes ago and your engine is now screwed.

You'll almost certainly get a reconditioned/second hand crank or a second hand engine for less than it would cost to rebuild your current one.

If the bottom end has starved of oil, you'll probably want to check the condition of the camshaft and the oilpump too.

I just checked, there are two CB250N cranks on ebay right now for under £50 delivered.

Pretendra
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:48 - 20 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i bought the bike it was unused for a while, i really didnt know the oil strainer could get clogged this bad, but after i cleaned the strainer and checked the oil pump for wear the oil pressure was back to normal. I am thinking of getting the crank ground if it really works. what are the bearing size that are available, i am a bit confused about the colour codes for the bearing.
need advice.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 189 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1