Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Yet another Aprilia RS125 problem!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mafizzle
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:36 - 12 Apr 2009    Post subject: Yet another Aprilia RS125 problem! Reply with quote

The joys of being an Aprilia owner!

Basically... Bought another RS125, went up and down the drive a few times, went to start it in the morning and...

du-du-du-du-du.

Again.

du-du-du-du-du.

No go.

I was wary about keep going at it in fear of damaging something!

I tried the choke, I put it fully down but no luck.

Our optimate says the battery is in good health, and the spark plug looks fine. It had some white deposits on the top near the hex, but the threads on the plug itself looked almost brand new.

I have yet to take the plug out and see if it produces a good spark, this is the next step I think.

I think anyone who has had an RS125 is all too familiar with these checks, but my Grandad has an inkling it may be the starter motor. Personally i'm thinking the spark plug!

It's in the garage next week for some bits and bobs and a general service, just thought I would see what you guys think.

It is an 04 plate de-restricted (apparantly) and running a BR10EG.

Also, the see through fuel/oil lines, should they contain liquid at all times, or are they blocked?

Thanks. Neutral Crying or Very sad

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:42 - 12 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

If you have been starting it and running up and down the drive a few times then I would say it has likely fouled the plug. Depends on how much you have been doing this.

That it is cranking over suggests it isn't the starter motor.

The fuel and oil lines should contain fluid all the time. Unless you have run out. Petrol is close to clear though so not obvious in pipes. Oil is normally coloured (often red for 2 stroke oil) so should be obvious.

All the best

Keith

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:45 - 12 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
try & see if you have a spark 1st, with a new plug.
the battery may well be dead, & although the charger is telling you its charged up, it may not be holding a charge.
tried it with a multi-meter?
dont rely on the LCD, though it should give you an indication of the voltage after trying to start it.
if it drops from 13.4 to under 12v right away & doesnt creep back up, then its the battery.
a multi meter will give you a more accurate reading.
if the battery is slightly dodgy, a couple of presses of the starter button will flatten it & it wont start.
try bumping it.
there should only be one see through line/hoser iirc, & thats the 2t oil feed into carb & that should be full of 2 stroke (obviously).
the others are breathers.
what other hoses are you meaning? pics?
cheers,
GAZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mafizzle
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:46 - 12 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kickstart, you've confirmed my suspicions!

I've ordered a new plug, battery, brake pads and air filter as part of my ritual of getting something second hand! So hopefully come midweek it'll be out and about.

It seems quite a healthy bike so fingers crossed it will just be the plug!

I'll let you know how it goes Thumbs Up

Mafizzle
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:55 - 12 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

stirlinggaz wrote:
hi,
try & see if you have a spark 1st, with a new plug.
the battery may well be dead, & although the charger is telling you its charged up, it may not be holding a charge.
tried it with a multi-meter?
dont rely on the LCD, though it should give you an indication of the voltage after trying to start it.
if it drops from 13.4 to under 12v right away & doesnt creep back up, then its the battery.
a multi meter will give you a more accurate reading.
if the battery is slightly dodgy, a couple of presses of the starter button will flatten it & it wont start.
try bumping it.
there should only be one see through line/hoser iirc, & thats the 2t oil feed into carb & that should be full of 2 stroke (obviously).
the others are breathers.
what other hoses are you meaning? pics?
cheers,
GAZ

Unfortunately i've only got an Optimate which drip charges and only diagnoses a problem by a green or red light after it's 'test'

A bit basic I know. The battery has failed this test before, so I will change it when it arrives for my own peace of mind. It does seem strong though, all lights seem bright and on form.

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:24 - 12 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
on the rs, i have found that if the battery voltage drops below 11.5v, then it wont start with the electric starter, though all the lights etc will work.
& a few attemps at starting will be enough to drop the voltage down to below 12v, on a fecked battery.
get a new plug first, seeing as thats the cheaper option, lol
& check for a spark.
& borrow a multi-meter or volt meter, even the basic multi-meters are only about a fiver.
then you can test the battery properly, ie at idle & at 5000rpm.
edit-seeing as you have ordered a new battery anyway, im sure that, combined with a new plug, should get it going.
if your gonna be letting it idle or just using it for commuting, get a BR9 plug.
cheers,
GAZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mafizzle
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:27 - 12 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

stirlinggaz wrote:
if your gonna be letting it idle or just using it for commuting, get a BR9 plug

I will be using it for commuting, and I will need it to idle whilst I let attractive women driving Chelsea tractors perform a 39-point turn.

Is getting a BR9 plug the done thing then?

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:14 - 12 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
the BR10 is recomended for full power bikes, however it is more likely to foul, if you dont get the bike up high in the revs enough, or your stuck in traffic often.
(ALWAYS carry a spare plug under the seat)
which is why aprilia recomend the BR9 "for predominately(sp) urban use"
i always used the 9.
though others swear by the 10.
if your gonna be revving the tits off it, constantly, stick with the 10, lol
your money,your choice.
cheers,
GAZ

Mafizzle
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:50 - 14 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

New spark plug put a bit of life back into the old girl...

It was late, and I turned the garage into a two stroke sauna Razz

It idled for a while, blipped the throttle a bit to clear the system a bit.

Will get it out tomorrow and give it a good seeing too.

Make of that what you will Razz

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:09 - 14 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
sounds like your sorted then,lol
i learned that after while, the usual with the rs, you send ages wondering why it wont start & ripping it apart, stripping carbs, washing out filter foams etc
only to realise its fouled a plug & shoving a new one it solves all your problems! lol
now i ALWAYS carry a spare plug under the seat on every 2 stroke that i use.
& i have a routine now as soon as it doesnt start.

1 : check to see if theres petrol in it (used to run out all the time, i blamed the lack of a fuel guage)
2 : kill switch? side stand switch?
3 : check battery voltage with multi-meter
4 : check for a spark
5 :check compression
6 : check theres fuel in the carb
7 : check the air-filter

by the time i get to no.7, i usually find the culprit or give up.

dont leave it idling for long or it'll foul another plug, lol
cheers,
GAZ

Mafizzle
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:24 - 15 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

stirlinggaz wrote:

1 : check to see if theres petrol in it (used to run out all the time, i blamed the lack of a fuel guage)
2 : kill switch? side stand switch?
3 : check battery voltage with multi-meter
4 : check for a spark
5 :check compression
6 : check theres fuel in the carb
7 : check the air-filter

by the time i get to no.7, i usually find the culprit or give up.

dont leave it idling for long or it'll foul another plug, lol
cheers,
GAZ

I've just put this as a post-it on my phone. Good drills!

Never knew idling would damage a plug, i'll nip that in the but then!

Had a cheeky blast tonight, still waiting on the V5 to tax it though so it was a bit of a naughty jaunt on some private roads. Naturally Wink

dannylc
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:58 - 16 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i dont think its the battery as all the dash and your side beams and headlights will be extremely dim but to be on the safe side switch the ignition on and use the M button on the lcd to cycle through the modes and you will see one thats telling you what voltage your battery is chucking out if its under 13.4 then try tightening the earth cables on your battery itself as where its loose it might not be hitting from time to time to give the right turn over voltage but if its not that its most likely the spark plug all the best dann
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 7 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1