Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hey Everyone At BCF

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

superstar288
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:08 - 05 Nov 2008    Post subject: Hey Everyone At BCF Reply with quote

hey i been reading your forums for the past few days and i thought i would make my 1st post Very Happy. well at the moment im trying to persuade my dad to let me get a bike he is a against it atm cause his bro passed way on a motorbike accident many years ago.but hopefully i can gain his permission.nyway i was just wondering for some advise please. im 20 years old looking for a 125 just to get around town etc dnt really need it for the motorway as i have a car.i have never riden a motorbike before so mainly want the 125 just 2 get some practice etc.im a big lad play rugby so dnt really want a small bike but would like a sporty looking bike Very Happy. Also i knw that most people would recommend leathers over textiles but it rains alot in the uk so what would people recommend?Thats about all the questions i have lol please let me knw thanks[/u]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:16 - 05 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you can always move out and thus be in control of your own life, though moving out is expensive.....

There is no such thing as a 125 sports bike, bar the RS125 , which explodes every 10K, is bad on fuel and is expensive to run / repair and build,

Depends actually on the situation for clothing , anedotally leathers slide , since leather when applied to heat liquifies, and thus is highly abrasion resistant... thus if you come off you slide in leathers ,

In textiles codura which I'm familiar with it slides a bit grips then rolls,

And thus different things for different situations, I like leathers for ride outs and textiles for city commuting , in that leathers you may slide under a lorry or something, but thats only my thoughts, but textiles are ok , but choose wisely , most which claim to be water proof are not water proof at all.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

superstar288
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:24 - 05 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for the reply m8 i wasnt looking for a sporty 125. just want something that looks nice but has good reliability aswell. lol not asking for much am i lol.
yea i will defo think about clothes carefully,
ohhh another Q shoes and gloves buy cheap gloves or get more expensive? and is there any differences in them??

jack_zxr400
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:36 - 05 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

heya

yammy yzf 125 Wink

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:39 - 05 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much depends on how you fall..... just feel around yourself where bones are exposed , ie shoulders , hip , elbows you want protectors there , ok so a cheese sandwich will be more effective than some armour but some is better than none.

Gloves just make sure they are protected where it counts ie gaunts over the wrists and knuckles where the vulernable bits are ie where the bones aren't wrapped in protective meat, some gloves also have the small finger sewn to the next finger to prevent breakage, but definately bike specific gloves as other gloves aren't up to abrasion resistance. Also a you should have to pull them on with some force else they are too big. Also consider loss of dexterity ie big padded gloves will be warm but you lose control, while my ultra thin race gloves which are paper thing feel like they aren't there but aren't as warm or padded as thicker gloves.

Boots , do the test , ie grab the boot by the toes and try to bend it downwards, human toes can dislocate upwards 'fairly' easily, and thus can be popped back fairly easily. Human feet don't bend nicely the other way in that bones break and meat tears, which is the purpose of the test... my £19 Akito monzas were ok for shin protection (hard bit on the shin) and fairly hard impacts but failed the sole test miserably...

The next bit is sort of the ankle test in that it should restrict the movement of the ankle again if you crash your ankle has certain limits the boot should protect it going over these limits...

Half boots don't protect as high up though.

Then you have shin protection , my duchinis have a hard formed plastic bit on the base of the shin , my Sidis have something similar.

The last bit is a bit iffy in form fitting test in that if you ever get your foot shattered , your boot should be close enough fitting to hold your foot together.

Price is not an indicator of protectiveness, an example ross loves to use in Manchester's bike shop is he shows you a glove , it costs £55, they are ok gloves, he tells you to go to the Dainese shop about half a mile away you will see EXACTLY the same glove but with a dainese logo on it for £95.

Also whatever gear you wear the protection still isn't very good in that you can still be seriously hurt whatever you wear, I don't count as I am expert at death avoidance, 105mph crash last year got up and thought whoa, I'm completely ok.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Rowey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 05 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

For winter, I would only recommend textiles. They are pretty close to leathers in the safety level they provide. They are warmer and water proof. If you get one with removable liners and zippable vents, they'll be fine for the summer too.

Go for a good pair of winter gloves, you're hands will get very cold if you get a shit pair. When you're moving the wind chill is pretty significant, if it rains too, it will make it twice as bad. You can also get some thin under gloves as an extra layer.

Boots again go for a water proof pair with a good liner, and buy some thick socks too.

Other things to consider would be a balaclava.

jingeroo
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:50 - 05 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome,

What about a hyosung comet, they are sporty. Plus they are four stroke so they will be more reliable in the long run than a 2 stroker. I prefer the ones without the full fairing.

They are much bigger than most 125's so would suit you. I would recommend a cg but it aint sporty and its too small for anyone over 5'10.

Clothing wise, i have textiles which have so far stayed waterproof, plus leathers will be costly. Also get some proper gloves and some decent boots, you could try J and S.

Good luck

daemonoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:59 - 05 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

superstar288 wrote:
cheers for the reply m8 i wasnt looking for a sporty 125. just want something that looks nice but has good reliability aswell. lol not asking for much am i lol.
yea i will defo think about clothes carefully,
ohhh another Q shoes and gloves buy cheap gloves or get more expensive? and is there any differences in them??

I've got a hyo 125, great for bigger people. see my sig </blatant plug>.

I've got a mate who was hit from the side at a roundabout, the docs said the high quality boots were the only thing that saved his foot.

Oh and gloves, keep you warm as well as saving your fingers/knuckles in the event of an off - for office workers like me top of the range gloves are an investment!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

deanoet
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:16 - 06 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums Thumbs Up

The Yamaha YZF125r is a bigger 125cc sports bike, will do an indicated 80mph and do look very nice.
Problem being they havent been out long, and due to popularity they are still quite expensive (3k ish)

You are best just to go round some dealers and sit on a few of the bikes
See how they feel to you.
I was comfy on the CG125, yet some people on here say it is an uncomfy bike

If you are looking to doing your full test then dont spend a lot on the 125. Save for the test and the bigger bike.

125s carry a premium as they are learner legal, have a look on Biketrader and compare what 125cc bikes you can get for a grand, then do the same with 500cc bikes
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 201 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1