Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

It was inevitable...(now with damage pics)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ZaphodBeeble
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 25 Feb 2009    Post subject: It was inevitable...(now with damage pics) Reply with quote

I had been on the road for 4 years without incident. I knew it was due...

It was about 6PM on Monday, I was riding home from work. The roads were dry and in good condition and I was enjoying the warmer weather. So I'm riding along a 30 limit road in minor traffic and I'm heading towards a junction. Cars up ahead turn off at the junction to the left so I have a clear view for about 50 yards or so. I can see a car up ahead facing me in the filter lane waiting to turn across my path into the junction where the other cars had gone. I approach the junction with the waiting car sat still. At this point it is quite dark and I can clearly see that his headlights are facing me and not moving. I continue to approach while keeping an eye on him. JUST as I get to the junction (I'm going straight on) he decides he wants to go and pulls directly into my path. I managed to pull the front brake and turn to the left just a little to scrub a bit of speed off but I just didn't have any time to do anything more spectacular. Cue me taking off over his bonnet with, I think, my arms flailing due to the speed of my rotation through the air. I think my right leg caught underneath my right handlebar which caused the spin. I want to ask the driver who seen the crash what I looked like flying through the air like that! I landed on my left side about 3 or 4 meters from the bike and the first thing I did was look across at the driver and ask him whether or not he was f$$king blind. He obviously said he didn't see me. He came straight over to me and was telling me to stay still. I told him to get back in his car and stay away from me.

My right leg by this point was hurting like a bitch but it felt like muscular pain and not a bone. I couldnt move my leg though as the bruise was huge and it had started swelling. Paramedics were on the scene in what felt like about a minute. The ambulance on the other hand took about 25/30 minutes which sucks. I went to take a picture with my phone but it's knackered. It would have been an excellent one too. I had to borrow a phone off a paramedic to phone my girlfriend. She thought I was joking when I told her I was lying on the road by Aldi's. When the ambulance finally arrived they stuck me on a stretcher and made some excuses about being off on holiday for a week and it was their first night back! Pfft.

I was stuck in the hospital until 12.30am. I had someone briefly examine me as I got there and then I had to wait until about 12.10am for a doctor to see me. He had a quick squeeze of my leg and told me I needed an x-ray. At this point I was pissed off with waiting so I told him where to go and I came home, but only after he had seen me walk. I can't walk up steps or anything but I'm OK on the flat. Nothing feels broken and I'm not in pain if I sit still (which is my favourite activity anyway).

The driver was quite a nice bloke and I feel a little bit sorry for being so angry with him as he stayed with me the whole time until the ambulance came. It's like what I said to the paramedics about the word 'accident'; it was simply that - an accident. How he didn't see my though I don't know. I had recently put a 100w bulb in my bike instead of the standard 60w. Needless to say but my bike is a write off, totally destroyed the front end.

I really don't think there are any lessons to be learned here. There was simply nothing I could have done to avoid this apart from not riding my bike at all.

Before:
https://www.valleysserver.co.uk/Images/3rd%20person%20view.jpg

Moments after:
https://www.valleysserver.co.uk/Images/TopDownAfter.jpg

EDIT:

Damage:
https://www.valleysserver.co.uk/Images/1235820108707.jpg

Damage:
https://www.valleysserver.co.uk/Images/1235820189256.jpg

Last edited by ZaphodBeeble on 12:40 - 28 Feb 2009; edited 2 times in total

TomDavies
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:46 - 25 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear it Sad hope you make a speedy recovery..

Hows the bike looking?

Neutral
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:51 - 25 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nasty, but it seems you have had a fairly lucky escape with the limited injury.

I will, however make a request for some brusie pictures. I loves a good bruise I does, especially deep ones like yours which will provide a veritable kalidescope of colour as it heals, so spread the joy.

Are you going to take it through the insurance, or is the bloke going to buy you a new bike (I suspect the former)?

ZaphodBeeble
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:57 - 25 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're going through insurance. The bike is a total write-off and is sat in the workshop at work. I haven't had a good look at it yet as it was picked up by one of the boys from where I work just after the accident. The funny thing is; the bike was recovered before I was!

I don't really have any bruising yet which is really weird as it still hurts like hell. I can't use either of my legs properly so I think I've pulled muscles in both and bruised just my right leg. I can assure you I will post bruise and/or bike pictures when I have them! Smile

I agree I think I did have a lucky escape.

Oh and I got a text from my 'friend' while I was in hospital asking me for the fork legs and callipers off my bike to convert his VFR750 to 4 pot callipers! I told him he's like a vulture circling a carcass.

Pernig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:11 - 25 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google Earth paint images are the way forward. And is that a Super Hang-On sprite? Absolute genius.

Anyway, hope you get better soon and things are sorted out swiftly. Insurance can be a rather big pain in the arse.

I believe one way of attracting the driver's attention is to gently move across the lane slightly away from them as you approach, in your case maybe a quick push of the left bar. By the way you described it though, it doesn't look like there was much you could do. Could have been worse if you went straight into him, for you if not for the bike.

Ichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:14 - 25 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damage to the bike doesn't look to bad in the picture, change of forks and straighten the rims. You might want to check your arms, there might be one missing?

Bofh5
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:27 - 25 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad luck man but your right about it being the inevitable....
Everyday when your in that situation you wonder when its going to happen and even if you take every precaution you just can't stop someone else from doing something like this.

Hopefully he wont be a dick about it as some drivers are nice as pie at the scene then turn into Mr Hyde and try and blame you.

GWS

Bikes: Honda 50 / CB125-TDC / 93 CBR600 F2 (Stolen & Trashed) / 2001 SP-1 (Sold) / 95 CBR600 F3

RichieZX6R
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:29 - 25 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loving the detailed images Thumbs Up

Sorry to hear about the accident, heres to a speedy recovery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Smooth
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 14:32 - 25 Feb 2009    Post subject: Re: It was inevitable... Reply with quote

ZaphodBeeble wrote:

The driver was quite a nice bloke and I feel a little bit sorry for being so angry with him as he stayed with me the whole time until the ambulance came.

Nice blokes can still kill/maim you through poor driving.

Quote:

It's like what I said to the paramedics about the word 'accident'; it was simply that - an accident. How he didn't see my though I don't know.

In my view bicycles and motorbikes are not seen as a threat to a car driver, so that many drivers don't really register their presence.

I'd bet money that he would not have made the same turn into the path of an HGV or bus.

MarkJ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:47 - 25 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlucky, I had a similar accident, except I'd only just come out of the junction opposite and the guy hit me side-on, rather at the front. I wish I'd come off the way you did. Instead my left foot was the filling in a car/motorcycle sandwich Neutral

It was deemed 100% the other guys fault, so you'll have no problem winning.

Damofo D.O.G. wrote:
I will, however make a request for some brusie pictures. I loves a good bruise I does, especially deep ones like yours which will provide a veritable kalidescope of colour as it heals, so spread the joy.

Seeing as he hasn't got any, you can have mine:

https://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f186/markjackson13/PICT0202.jpg

https://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f186/markjackson13/PICT0201.jpg

Foot is about twice the size it normally is there Neutral

sagalout
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:54 - 25 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlucky fella.

Rated cool for the effort thats gone into the paint diagrams!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

lonner
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:58 - 25 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
Unlucky, I had a similar accident, except I'd only just come out of the junction opposite and the guy hit me side-on, rather at the front. I wish I'd come off the way you did. Instead my left foot was the filling in a car/motorcycle sandwich Neutral

Damofo D.O.G. wrote:

https://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f186/markjackson13/PICT0202.jpg

https://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f186/markjackson13/PICT0201.jpg

have a butchers at this fooker

don't look if your squeamish

https://niketalk.yuku.com/topic/54494/t/Hot-model-rides--motorcycle---crashes--PICS-WARNING.html

krebsy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:28 - 25 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:

Pah! Call that a bruise? This is a bruise.. Smile And this is after 4 days. It got more and more purple over the next 2 weeks, spreading all the way down my calf and across the "Gentleman equipment" before fading... Smile

K.

1280 x 1024.

thegubner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:19 - 25 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like you say at least no bones were broken, bruises look sore though!

No doubt the all knowing Laughing "G" will be along in a minute to tell you the 2.4 gazillion ways you could have avoided it like he would have.

Just ignore it though, only you were there.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:34 - 25 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlucky, but at least you're on the mend. Thumbs Up

phk6
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:51 - 25 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

jesus unlucky mate, ive remember when my foot looked like that its fooking painful aint it Razz

hope you make a speedy recovery
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:58 - 25 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pernig wrote:
Google Earth paint images are the way forward. And is that a Super Hang-On sprite? Absolute genius.

+1 Thumbs Up

Quality.

Anyway, glad your ok. At least he didn't just bugger off after he hit you.

MarkJ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:05 - 25 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

phk6 wrote:
jesus unlucky mate, ive remember when my foot looked like that its fooking painful aint it Razz

It's my foot, not his Neutral Get yer own! Laughing

Is your foot 100% better? Mine still aches 6 months on.

dicko
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:41 - 25 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep an eye on your leg. If its not bruised yet but feels swollen inside and you cant move it get back to the hospital and get it checked out or you could end up with your leg like mines (though this was a rugby injury and i thought it was only a dead leg). Kept me away from biking for nearly 4 months.

pigmo
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:57 - 25 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm glad you're on the mend, but it is time to make the best of a bad situation.

FreshAL
Sir Crashalot

PostPosted: 18:59 - 25 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

sucks.

Happened to me a couple of years ago.

Very difficult one to avoid, when it happens it happens so fast it's almost impossible to avoid.

My tips
- check your ribs. I'd cracked a couple but didn't notice for days cos the soft tissue injuries on my leg hurt so much more.

- Ibuprofen and a few days of work Thumbs Up take a bit of time to start healing

- remember you can claim on your insurance for reasonable travel costs until they pay out for your bike. Keep bus tickets & any taxi receipts.

Bigbaggiesbik...
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:57 - 25 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to mention this Zaphod, but after closely examining the images supplied in your original post, looking at your position on the bike, i.e crouched down tucked in behind the screen it suggest to me like you were absolutley tanking it through all the gears and traveling at some serious knotts. Nice leathers though! Mr. Green Thumbs Up
Suzuki VL Intruder 125 - Sep 04 to July 05 (Sold) / Aprilia RS125 - Jul 05 to May 08 (Sold) Suzuki RF600 - July 06 to Oct 06 (Crashed) / Suzuki SV1000S - Jan 09 to August 12 (Sold) / Honda CBR600f Track bike - August 12 to present

ZaphodBeeble
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:36 - 25 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

dicko wrote:
you could end up with your leg like mine

Holy $hit man, what the hell has happened there?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:47 - 25 Feb 2009    Post subject: Re: It was inevitable... Reply with quote

ZaphodBeeble wrote:
I had recently put a 100w bulb in my bike instead of the standard 60w.

I'd be tempted to change that before accident inspectors look at the bike on the off chance.
Too bright lights can make it hard for other people to work out how far away you are or how fast you are going. Something I worry about with my recent HID 'upgrade'.

I will reply to govern's petty baiting... it is a tad concerning that he seems happy to encourage people to repeat mistakes and open themselves to injuring themselves or much worse in the future Rolling Eyes.
So, on the 'nothing I could do' - if there was no cars waiting to pull out, you could have been further over to the left presumably.
Did you do anything to attract his attention - I often blip the throttle with the clutch to remind drivers and pedestrians what's coming.
Presuming there was streetlighting, you should have been able to get some idea of whether the driver was looking at you or not. 'Eye contact' is a very good start.
I'd have probably ended up in the same situation, but I bet there's others that wouldn't.
On the bright lights - I've got some side lights that extend to the side of my handle bars, which hopefully should give a bit more road presence.
I was in a similar situation a few days ago and while I did stop, it probably wasn't in time as after I stopped the car driver slowly pulled forward and nudged my front wheel Confused (then pulled back and let me go.)

Incidentally, it doesn't have to be just lack of thought, I believe it's been shown that as bikes aren't 'familiar' shapes that car drivers see regularly (especially after the last few months) their brains are less likely to register them with a quick glance.

Anyway get well soon and definitely do get that X-Ray, especially when insurance is concerned.

ZaphodBeeble
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 25 Feb 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with pulling over to the left when approaching this type of junction is the presence of adjoining traffic from the left. The middle of the road is the only place to be. Blipping the throttle is pointless as I have (had) standard exhausts on the bike. The headlight bulb was a standard H4 100w bulb. Let's be honest, it doesn't matter how bright your light is, if you only have one of them it's still very hard to determine how far away you are. I like the idea of lights on your bar ends though!

As it was dark I couldn't see the drivers face, I always try to make eye contact, especially with drivers pulling out of junctions. I also watch the front wheels of the car as it's the easiest way to check for movement.

The woman in the car with the bloke that hit me said that she seen me, she said that she was saying 'bike! bike! bike!' to the bloke as he was pulling in front of me. He remarked about a car that was in front of me that had pulled off to my left which I believe caught his attention and caused him not to see me.

The weird thing was that he didn't move for a while, it seemed like he had seen me, then all of a sudden as I'm right next to him, BAM.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 56 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3