Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

XR125 - very slow initial idle speed

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 20:23 - 03 Mar 2009    Post subject: XR125 - very slow initial idle speed Reply with quote

Can anyone give a little info before I start poking around my bike?

2,000 mile XR125, based on a CG125 engine. When I first start the bike after being left overnight, or when leaving work, it'll only start with a little choke and absolutely no throttle. Any throttle just kills it. Once the bike has started, it idles very slowly - but doesn't die. It'll allow me to blip the throttle only after a minute or so - any sooner will kill the motor.

It'll then idle fine after a couple of minutes after that.

Just a bit worried as I presume a very low initial idle could damage the engine?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:30 - 03 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds perfectly ok to me, you could try half a turn on the tickover screw on the carb that will speed it a tad but it may race when hot.

Acemastr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:54 - 03 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

my ybr is similar, except i give it full choke and press the starter, idles slow for a second then begins to pick up

ash-2009
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:46 - 16 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the same bike honda xr 125 2004 8k on the clock it does the same thing mate im guna try turning the screw a bit as said above Tops out about 75mph the guy before me took the throttle restricter out of the carb or something

Thom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:07 - 16 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craigs, was your CG not like this?

The ones ive used have all done exactly the same...

It's natural im sure. aslong as it idles properly once warm, and you can ride it from cold without too much of a problem i see no problem unless it stalls at junctions etc eithout throttle.
Previous Bikes: 1990 Honda NSR125 'Rothmans' (The smoking one), 1990 Suzuki GS500e 'Caf? fighter' (The loud one), 1987 Kawasaki GPX400r (The quick one), 1997 XJ600s Diversion (The reliable one), 2000 Kawasaki ER-5 (The spontaneously combustive one)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Gawain
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:29 - 16 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds fine maybe try choke for a little longer if it worries you. May help.

ash-2009
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:32 - 16 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

my xr 125 cuts out when warms up dont kno why any ideas

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:12 - 16 Mar 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the choke off?
that bike has a two step choke.
fully on should only start when given a little bit of gas. will start like this in the coldest of weathers. never failed to start the bike for me.
half on - as soon as you start the engine flip it one notch. keeps the engine running a little higher than normal tick over.
full off used when engine is warm
when its cold i usually: start the bike with choke, flip it one notch to half on. put gloves on, put helmet on. flip the choke off. if it still doesn't idle i ride to the end of my road on half choke or as I'm riding along my road and switch it off as I'm riding. by the time i get to the end of my road it idles fine
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 49 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1