Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

DT 125 de-restricting!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rocky_mx
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:44 - 02 Sep 2006    Post subject: DT 125 de-restricting! Reply with quote

What do i need to do to de-restrict a 05 modle dt 125 x?

I need more power....getting boysen power reeds and new exhaust soon! Only ones i can seem to find are dep?? Any more kicking about?

Also what else could i do to get more power Twisted Evil Re-jet with something bigger?

Thanks Smile

Jebus
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 01:25 - 03 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

try this site it got a load of info www.dtr125.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

coarl
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:00 - 03 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

take out catalyzer, drill YEIS on diameter 10mm

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:07 - 03 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drill out the thing in the zorst to unlock the heady 18bhp.

dgk13
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:52 - 03 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friends got a DT125Re on an 05' Plate. There wasn't any exhaust restriction, only restriction was that the powervavle wasn't earthed out. If its anything like his, there will be a red wire with a hoop at the end no connected to anything. Earth it out my putting it on a bolt on the chassis and then you'll have full power if its like the 05 model. Hope that helps.

Type_Mo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 03 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

DO NOT CUT THE MANIFOLD OPEN LIEK IT SAYS ON THAT WEBSITE!!!!

made me lose top end speed Sad

element
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:46 - 04 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type_Mo wrote:
DO NOT CUT THE MANIFOLD OPEN LIEK IT SAYS ON THAT WEBSITE!!!!

made me lose top end speed Sad

messes with the fuel flow I belive..

Also tail can doesnt make a difference. Swapping the front pipe for a DEP makes a huge difference Ive read. You could get a stock secondhand pipe though, cut it open and remove the restriction which would then make it pretty much like the DEP.

Blocking the cat should in theory help too but one guy said he lost 5mph by blocking the pipe?!

Whats your top speed restricted? Ive managed 65 out of mine and it thats with it screaming. I heard these can do around 85!

Look for the wires going to the speedo. There will be 4 wires going to the block and only 3 wires on the other side going into the speedo. You need to earth that wire thats doing nothing.

Ive heard drilling holes in the snorkel helps too and you can easily tape em up if it ends up running to lean. I would be careful messing around with that though.

You can get Big One exhausts too and they are half the price of the DEP but you get what you pay for.

Last edited by element on 15:53 - 19 Dec 2007; edited 1 time in total

Rocky_mx
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:18 - 04 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omg! Shocked

Just earthed the wire....and cheapest performance upgrade Razz

Now the powervale actually does something! Very Happy

element
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:29 - 09 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocky_mx wrote:
Omg! Shocked

Just earthed the wire....and cheapest performance upgrade Razz

Now the powervale actually does something! Very Happy

big difference huh? Very Happy

done mine a little while back. I noticed as soon as I pulled off and pinned it from 3rd. It now pulls all the way to 60 with no flat spots. Power used to die off while the revs carried on climbing. I think it might do more than 65 now but I didnt try. Rear disc was warped so bad the caliper was moving side to side and I started to think what would happen if the back locked..

Also noticed its easier to ride. No longer have to keep inside the narrow powerband so you dont need to keep changing gear.

Last edited by element on 18:24 - 26 Sep 2006; edited 1 time in total

Hoody90
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:48 - 25 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

will earthing that cable lower the mpg i will get? Obviously if i go faster it will decrease the mpg i get but if i am going at the same speed w/o the earth, will there be a difference in mpg?

Cheers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

element
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:32 - 26 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoody90 wrote:
will earthing that cable lower the mpg i will get? Obviously if i go faster it will decrease the mpg i get but if i am going at the same speed w/o the earth, will there be a difference in mpg?

Cheers

well considering I used to change gear at 7k because the power was no longer there and now I can just let it go all the way to 10k yes it will drink more petrol. But at a steady speed say 50mph in 6th then you wouldnt notice a difference. Only time your gonna drink more petrol is going higher into the powerband which you couldnt do before!

if I ride sensibly ill get 110+ miles outta my tank (not inc reserve) were as if I keep it in the powerband all the time im refilling after about 80 miles.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 83 days between these two posts...

prawny1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 19 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is the red wire located?

Some people are only alive cos its against the law to kill them.

prawny1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 19 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

prawny1
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:51 - 19 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

element
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:53 - 19 Dec 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

take the front light off then look for a connector block going into the speedo. there will be 1 wire in that block that doesnt connect to anything. You need to earth it. I thought it was green or was it brown?!? not red. Been a while now....

I got a big one full system on mine now and it will do 80 maybe a bit more if I really pushed it.. The front pipe was definately restricted as I noticed a bit of a difference when I fitted the big one. Thats an 04 plate though. Im pretty sure the 05/06 and 07 is restricted too..

Willenium
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:21 - 02 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably the earthing mod has now been carried out to concentrate on mechanical restriction. The airbox snorkel just pulls out and that will help a lot. Get an aftermarket exhaust on and then rejet your carb roughly two sizes up on the main jet.

Power gains using the above will be significant.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:10 - 03 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

a little off topic but if you were to insert a switch into the earth line on the powervalve so that at the flick off a switch you could restrict/derestrict the bike what could the police do if they pulled you over? even if you were riding it derestricted the second you saw the blue lights you could flick the switch and theyd have nothing on you, right?

c_dug

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:54 - 03 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
a little off topic but if you were to insert a switch into the earth line on the powervalve so that at the flick off a switch you could restrict/derestrict the bike what could the police do if they pulled you over? even if you were riding it derestricted the second you saw the blue lights you could flick the switch and theyd have nothing on you, right?

c_dug

Wrong.

It's probably worse to have the switch than to just have it de-restricted as you're trying to pervert the course of justice or something.

The same way flip up plates are worse than just having a small one.

If the contraption is found that is.

ghettostan
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:32 - 03 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:

c_dug

the police never check the power of the bike anyway....

i got pulled over by a police on a motorbike and he dint ask if it was restricted or anything along them lines...

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:33 - 03 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghettostan wrote:
c_dug wrote:

c_dug

the police never check the power of the bike anyway....

i got pulled over by a police on a motorbike and he dint ask if it was restricted or anything along them lines...

Yeah they do sometimes, people have been done. Someone in the SE section was done quite recently. Although that was the 33bhp thing.

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:45 - 04 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big_Ham wrote:
c_dug wrote:

c_dug

Wrong.

It's probably worse to have the switch than to just have it de-restricted as you're trying to pervert the course of justice or something.

The same way flip up plates are worse than just having a small one.

If the contraption is found that is.

Yes and then you just say in bad weather I turn the powervalve off so that I have reduced power thus meaning my wheel doesn't spin. Very Happy

EDIT: It would be handy if you were doing your test on your own bike as you could ride there restricted and when you've passed, flick your switch and wheelie away Very Happy
All in my wonderful fantasy.

element
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:44 - 06 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yes and then you just say in bad weather I turn the powervalve off so that I have reduced power thus meaning my wheel doesn't spin. Very Happy

the back wheel wont spin unless ur riding like a twat in the rain (how do I know that? Mr. Green )...

just earth the wire and forget.. Mr. Green

DT125SM
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:04 - 11 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy guys Very Happy

I have read this post with great interest.

My friend has a 2006 Yamaha DT125X SM.

I had a go on it and it was no where near as quick as the 1990 DT125R I had back in the day.

So today we de-restricted it bu cutting the green/brown wire and by adding more wire we rigged it up to the negative terminal of the battery.

Also we took off the airbox snorkel completley.

The result ? sounded deeper when the bike started, pulling off it wants to bog down, defo sounds better but might put the snorkel back on at least until he can get a K&N air filter in there.

We took the bike to a LONG duel carridgeway to see what we could get top speed... and the most we could get outta it ...

78mph ... Rolling Eyes

Now my old DT125R went off the clock at 85mph so how come this one is only gettin 78mph ?

Is there anything else we can do to it guys to make it quicker and a better top end ? or are these the only two mods available for his 06 model.

Oh its got a DEP sport exhaust on it too.

Many thanks.

Matt Smile

ghettostan
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:12 - 11 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

element wrote:
Hoody90 wrote:

Cheers

well considering I used to change gear at 7k because the power was no longer there and now I can just let it go all the way to 10k yes it will drink more petrol. But at a steady speed say 50mph in 6th then you wouldnt notice a difference. Only time your gonna drink more petrol is going higher into the powerband which you couldnt do before!

if I ride sensibly ill get 110+ miles outta my tank (not inc reserve) were as if I keep it in the powerband all the time im refilling after about 80 miles.

are you sure?

i ride mine normal most of the time, chaging gears when it reaches around 6000rpm any higher than that on mine would hit the powerband ? but still i have to refill every 70/75 ?

and around 90/95 with reserve

i have a DT125 R 2001 by the way

Willenium
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:13 - 12 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT125SM wrote:
Also we took off the airbox snorkel completley.

The result ? sounded deeper when the bike started, pulling off it wants to bog down, defo sounds better but might put the snorkel back on at least until he can get a K&N air filter in there.

Hence why I stated that rejetting may be necessary. My bike ran well enough before I fitted the new jet but it definitely took less finesse to get it revving afterwards. Fitting a K&N will not help you in any way and you're better off sticking with the original airbox and just increasing the main jet size.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 99 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3