Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Suzuki GZ 125 Marauder - More power please ;)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:04 - 12 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

When selling, you should be able to buy a better bike that has also depreciated a similar amount.
Have you tried many other bikes to know you like this better than others?
Personally, to me, it seems silly to spend a load of time and money trying to 'polish a turd' effectively. Myself, I prefer to cruise at, at the very most 70% of an engine's max revs; so a bike that does a maximum speed of 100mph to sit at 100mph.
I upgeared my KTM to do a theortical 125mph or so (from 107mph) so that I could more comfortably cruise on motorways.

CBA
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:31 - 12 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

i won't be spending so much on it, and i'm thinking about taking a tooth off the small cog and adding two to the big one or so.
the ecu takes me from 7 to 11kw or so, should be able to do this for £100. come on, someone must know how to get the imported parts cheaply, my bike shop will get the ecu but its £187, if i can get the ecu for £50... and the cogs for the same i've cracked it and have a reasonable commuter, good for weaving around traffic and stable at 60 without the vibration, a "better" marauder. oh 100mpg and £101 insurance, £15tax... over the year its about the price of a crap mountain bike.

its to get me to college and maybe then uni for next few years, and it has to cost basically nothing. i'm not going to be racing it, maybe with other marauders lol.

the battery is a bit gash, what size is it, what power would you reccomend. it may be stood for maybe a week sometimes and it would be good if it would start on its own. so focusing on easy starting and long standing i'm getting pretty buff with the standard battery.

Tyron
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:57 - 18 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, been a while; i got an rs125 so had no need to work on the gz further.

Problem being by buying an rs i opened anther box of worms, the bike i bought had been raked and treated very badly, the bike had about £900 worth of damage so i decided to sell the bike on; so i am back on the Gz125.

I got the 250cc engine and yet again not as easy as i had of hoped the brackets in which the bike sits are different and i need to alter the frame; i do not feel comfortable welding and making the changes my self as most of my welds break; do not want to be heading up the road frist run and the frame to split and the engine to fall out lol.

As for the bikes i have drove.

GZ125
Virago 535
rs125
nsr125
Honda shadow 125
Gn 125
GT0 125 ( the worst )
Yzfr125
Honda xr
Cdr 125
Banndit 650

Noxious89123
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:16 - 18 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to suggest an XV535. Similar style to your bike.

If you've only done 600 miles, you really haven't even begun to get the most from the bike...

What was your issue with a larger bike? Didn't like the weight? A 125 is very nimble, light and flickable, but once you get used to the weight of a bigger bike, you soon learn how to get the most from out of it.

It *is* possible to really hustle a big heavy bike. Take a look on youtube at japanese bike cops doing training... They really chuck those big tourers around Shocked

Also, a Virago 1100 with slash cut pipes sounds awesome. I imagine riding one, teh vibes would be awful. Following my gf's mum on hers, makes my visor vibrate when sat in traffic behind it. Shocked

hmmmnz
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:13 - 19 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck a air cooled dr250 engine in it
job done,
there really isnt any point trying to get more power from the 125 lump

CBA
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 05:23 - 25 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you know what you want to chop and modify on the frame then do the cutting and just tack the parts onto the frame how you want, you can then go down to bodyshop/garage e.t.c. and have them weld it for you... shouldn't be hyper expensive and pretty much guaranteed to be strong and safe.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 3 years, 344 days between these two posts...

Johnkpy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:11 - 03 Nov 2013    Post subject: I am looking to replace my exhaust on my Suzuki GZ 125 Reply with quote

Hey there,

I have a Suzuki GZ 125cc and I want to change the exhaust and was wondering if a universal exhuast would fit onto my bike? or if anyone could give me any advice.. Smile Many Thanks
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 320 days between these two posts...

Skull Rider81
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:18 - 20 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Get a bigger bike, it is really not worth the money you will spend on it you will be lucky to get a few more BHP. I doubt any other engine will fit.

Maybe you can't afford a bigger bike or still like your GZ. Here's what I did,
Check your CDI its probably the wrong one? I got a new one for only £40 then got a new exhaust and drilled 4 holes around the one restricting hole. Iridium plug, oil change and cleaned the filter. Got it going 70 rather than the irritating and embarrassing 55. Make sure you use super unleaded from Esso or Shell and never supermarket petrol as they buy the cheapest old crap and mix it themselves. I keep up with 250's this way. Make friends with motor mechanics! I did as all you'll get on these threads are comments like "Get a bigger bike" which is ok if you got loads of spare cash knocking around. My Yreg is proper nippy now thanks to getting out there and meeting people who've been in motocross for 30-odd years. Get a manual too and learn to repair it yourself so if you have a breakdown you know how to get the bike running again as I have had to. Cable ties are a saviour as is a good multi tool. I do 500miles a week on mine and I've only had one breakdown in 6 months since I built her out of parts and spares! There's also octane boosters in Halfords that add a bit more kick and clean your fuel line. Don't let people put you off, we all start somewhere after all. I'm no mechanic as you probably guessed by my lack of knowledge of what the "hole" in the exhaust is called but even I learnt these few tricks. If you want to go faster ok a bigger bike but the speed limit is there for a reason, to keep you from killing yourself and other road users. English roads are not race tracks, race tracks don't have potholes and Diesel on them!!

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:37 - 20 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skull Rider81 wrote:
I'm no mechanic as you probably guessed by my lack of knowledge of I'm a necro-posting retard, fantasist.

FTFY
MCN. This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 191 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2