Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Trailworld off road school and tour - St Albans

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 23:36 - 09 Apr 2009    Post subject: Trailworld off road school and tour - St Albans Reply with quote

Well, I started off the day by being an hour late after some numbnuts crashed and got the M1 closed. The day was bought for me by my gf Claire last christmas and I'd saved it until now to do it, so I'd get the best weather.

The venue was just off of j9 of the M1, right next to a shooting club, and close to the motorway and Luton airport (no problems making noise then).

The day was advertised as being split into two parts, a school in the morning where you learn some off road skills, and a tour around the locality in the afternoon.

All on either a Yam WR250 or a Honda CRF230. When I arrived both the WRs were gone (they're slightly bigger).

The venue didn't look much, but this part was only the 'school'.

https://www.gaz-racing.co.uk/images/trackday_520.JPG

The school took place right at the very far end. Basically we rode around a small track, rode around some tyres, learnt about weighting pegs, and the standing position. (You stand a lot more upright than I was expecting! I needed a bigger bike tbh the bars were too low).

Then we did some wheel locking, first rear wheel then front wheel. The instructor pissed about doing huge wheelies.

Then we had some lunch and went out on the green lanes. And boy that was fun! It wasn't too muddy, but there were some very rutted, rocky, rooty etc green lanes. It was amazing fun. The bikes were plenty capable.

Then whilst happily riding along a green lane I saw a sign saying "Ford", I looked up and saw the instructor was riding through what I can only describe as a well established river! Oh well in I go!! Water well up over my knees. Throttle wide open, just trying to keep going. We did 4 fords in all, got absolutely soaked and it was amazing.

And today I ache like absolute buggery. There were 4 others in the group. One guy in his 50s, 2 in their 40s and a guy in his late 20s.

I managed to not fall off once, which part of me thinks I wasn't trying hard enough.

Now I'm very tempted to try and road register the KX, or get a road legal one. Off roading is cracking!

https://www.gaz-racing.co.uk/images/trackday_522.JPG

(My bike is the one at this end).

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:07 - 10 Apr 2009    Post subject: Re: Trailworld off road school and tour - St Albans Reply with quote

Gazdaman wrote:

I managed to not fall off once, which part of me thinks I wasn't trying hard enough.

Indeed. First time I did it, must have fallen off ten times or so.
To be fair, half the time was riding my DR600 with supermoto tyres that didn't even have road-legal amounts of tread left, but I still managed to fall off plenty more on knobbly tyres Smile.

Though, from a couple of weeks ago, it does seem I may, err, have slightly re-arranged the top of my hip bone Confused.

silky666
Captain Rulebook

PostPosted: 13:17 - 10 Apr 2009    Post subject: Re: Trailworld off road school and tour - St Albans Reply with quote

Gazdaman wrote:

it was amazing.
And today I ache like absolute buggery.
Off roading is cracking!

Gaz

Shhh! keep it quiet ... the tarmac lickers will all be wanting to join in Very Happy

Gaffa tape is like "the force" - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hazylogic
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 10 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds great how much did it set her back?

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 20:21 - 10 Apr 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was about £200.

I think my lack of falling off was down to extreme skill.
I had some very very hairy moments. But I just sort of pointed it where I wanted to go and held the throttle open. And it was just luck that every time the bike sorted itself out and got me there.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 19 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1