Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

changing brake pads

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

dansrockin
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:40 - 26 Jun 2010    Post subject: changing brake pads Reply with quote

hi, i started doing a service on my 93 pan european last night, did the oil, filter and plugs in about 30 mins, easiest bike ive ever done that on! but when i came to the rear brake, the problems started!
old pads came out easy enough, just one pin to move and the pads fall out, but i cant get the pistons back into the caliper body far enough to put the new pads in.
i tried levering against the old pads but the piston closest to the front of the bike is too far forward to get much leverage on. i undid the fluid reservoir but it was no easier.
i dont really want to take the caliper off as it involves taking the back wheel out, which then means ive got to get some moly grease and do all the splines before its put back in!
surely there must be an easier way?
any ideas
cheers
dan

rob_scott92
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:01 - 26 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to suggest putting a piece of wood into the caliper pressing against the pistons and use a G-clamp to press them in. Thats what i did when changing the front pads on my bike but as you say the caliper is on, you might not fit a g-clamp round it. Possibly worth a try though.

Rob Thumbs Up

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 16:18 - 26 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try putting something like a bit of wood between the pistons and pump them out as far as you can without them coming right out and use a toothbrush and some brake fluid to give them a good clean. Keep pumping them in and out and cleaning them until hopefully they go back in.

Marmalade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:28 - 26 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are known for it, pistons seizing etc

I take off the calliper, simples with 2 bolts and use a huge pair of grips to push them back in.
April i bought new seals and pistons, piece of cake to do and lubed it all up with greace, now changing pads is piece of cake. do mine about every 8 weeks, sometimes less.

Front ones about every 4 months
Nobby the Bastard: How yo tell the difference between the actual japanese and her just screaming because she's had live fish stuck up her arse? [url=https://www.nicks-shop.co.uk/bcf-goodies-15-c.aspGet BCF stickers and things here[/url] Reflective helmet stickers - Legal requirement in france - Clicky
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rob_scott92
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:20 - 26 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
do mine about every 8 weeks, sometimes less.

Shocked
You change your rear brake pads every 2 months, sometimes less?!
Either you meant 8 months or something's seriously wrong with your rear brake Laughing

Rob Thumbs Up

dansrockin
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:27 - 26 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

the thing is the rear isnt just two bolts unless im missing something, the haynes manual says to take the axle out and remove the rear wheel to get the caliper free. the fronts look alot easier but the back has no access at all!
i'll try cleaning it as best i can but if all else fails its looks like i'll have to pull the wheel out. my pads are nearly all gone so i cant put it off any longer.
cheers
dan

rob_scott92
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:33 - 26 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

There no room for G-clamp or other kind of thing to work it with? Perhaps if you posted a pic, someone with more experience than me might be able to help Wink

Rob Thumbs Up

Marmalade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:42 - 26 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob_scott92 wrote:
Quote:
do mine about every 8 weeks, sometimes less.

Shocked
You change your rear brake pads every 2 months, sometimes less?!
Either you meant 8 months or something's seriously wrong with your rear brake Laughing

Rob Thumbs Up

Nope, they last about 10/12,000 miles on the back, which seems about normal

dansrockin wrote:
the thing is the rear isnt just two bolts unless im missing something, the haynes manual says to take the axle out and remove the rear wheel to get the caliper free. the fronts look alot easier but the back has no access at all!
i'll try cleaning it as best i can but if all else fails its looks like i'll have to pull the wheel out. .....

Looking at caliper from left side, use 12mm spanner on right hand slider/bolt ans a 14mm? socket on the left, the caliper will lift up and remove once it's cleared the disc, as you've removed pads it'll be simples

-----
edit: If you have the genuine toolkit you can do the remove/refit with these, trust me. It is easy, done it lots of times
Nobby the Bastard: How yo tell the difference between the actual japanese and her just screaming because she's had live fish stuck up her arse? [url=https://www.nicks-shop.co.uk/bcf-goodies-15-c.aspGet BCF stickers and things here[/url] Reflective helmet stickers - Legal requirement in france - Clicky

Last edited by Marmalade on 22:17 - 26 Jun 2010; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Marmalade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 26 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, where you at?
If you're not too far away i'll come help you and bring a spare caliper in case yours is really shagged

----
edit again
Or bring it to Salisbury and do it here where i have shelves full of bits

Last edited by Marmalade on 22:18 - 26 Jun 2010; edited 1 time in total

rob_scott92
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:03 - 26 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Ok then, my apologies Embarassed .
But 12,000 miles in 2 months Shocked You do 72,000 miles a year, hope your bikes economical Laughing Fair do's to ya Wink

Rob Thumbs Up

Or have i completely misunderstood this? Embarassed

Marmalade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 26 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

There abouts, i can get 50mpg if i try but average is 42mpg.

Bought it last april 29th on 29,000, took it off road the end of may while waiting for alternator and it's on 93,000.

Using a zzr600 as a temp measure, bought it 2 june, 6 days later i killed it after doing 1200 miles, 10th june back on the road after i put an engine in it and i've since done another 4300 miles in that 2 weeks.
Not great on fuel or tyres but needs must, another 2 weeks i'll have my free alternator. (£500 at dealer)

hondapartsman
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:23 - 26 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob_scott92 wrote:
Quote:

Ok then, my apologies Embarassed .
But 12,000 miles in 2 months Shocked You do 72,000 miles a year, hope your bikes economical Laughing Fair do's to ya Wink

Rob Thumbs Up

Or have i completely misunderstood this? Embarassed

Indeed lots of miles, although I'd hope to get more than 12,000 miles out of a set of pads, that said I'm one of these boring people who use brakes as a last resort. My CB250Rs is still on the original rear brake shoes after 55,000 plus miles, lots of life left still, second set of front pads, I think, about the third new piston in there though which might be down to me not using the brakes enough or just two many winter miles.

Marmalade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:32 - 26 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use fronts much unless it's dire need, i ride flat out most the time but plan ahead so don't need to slam on all round at the last minute.
Only changed front pads twice in 64,000 miles, once because they were low and again in april because i was taking it out to Portugal and didn't want to have to do anything to it while out there so potentially have another 60,000 miles in them, plus 280kg bike and fat bastard riding it is a lot of weight to stop from 70mph officer

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 23:06 - 26 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost the thread of the OP's Q here with the debate about mileage....

BUT: Most brake problems start with a pad change, and most often on the backs.

On bikes they either seldom get used, as the rider is front brake dependent, or they get heavily used as they are front brake scared.

Mostly the first, leading to back brake pads seldom getting changed and the pistons corroding a long way out the caliper, between changes.

Then when they do need changing, the piston, corroded and covered in crud gets pushed back into the caliper where the crid & corrosion expands the seal, leading to a seal failure, OR the corroded piston, pushed back into the cylinder working in an are where there is a lot of pitting or corrosion where the seal now is, eading to seal failure.

So my first CAUTION is, if the piston dont want to budge, bite the bullet, pull the caliper off, strip it, clean it, check the pistons... becouse chances ARE they are corroded, and IF you forve it back into the caliper, you are likely to have a seal failure on your hands pretty soon!

If the pistons look iffy, pull them, fit new ones with new seals, fit new pads, put back on bike... job jobbed, well and truly.

HOWEVER.....

If you CAN see in there and can get at and can clean up the pistons to inspect in situ, and ARE confident that they are OK and you AREN'T going to give your self grief pushing them back in.....

Undo the bleed nipple......

That open, piston should go in nice and easily, venting excess fluid out the bleed nipple!

Taking the lid off the reservoir only vents the reservoir to air, you are still trying to push the fluid past the non return valves in the master cylinder!

BLEED BRAKES after fitting new pads!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

rob_scott92
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 23:23 - 26 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Lost the thread of the OP's Q here with the debate about mileage....

Sorry 'dansrockin' didn't mean to go so far offtopic with all that Embarassed

dansrockin
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:45 - 28 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the advice and help. marmalade, many thanks for the offer of helping me! i managed to get it loose after a bit of a clean up, a good push on the piston and it went back into place.
i tried to get the caliper off, but i really cant see any way to do it apart from pulling the axle, it says that in the manual too. maybe i have diferent calipers to yours?
anyway, alls good now, the front pads were real easy but they still had plenty of meat let so ive now got spare pads for the fronts! Laughing
cheers
dan
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 277 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1