Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Aprilia rs 125 problems

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Gordy85
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:31 - 31 Jul 2009    Post subject: Aprilia rs 125 problems Reply with quote

Just recently put a new engine in my Aprilia rs 125, had it fired up and running, until recently everything seemed fine, we finished putting the rest of the bike back together.

We got to the exahust, put the back pipe on, and for some reason since we've done this, we can't get the engine to start at all.

We have cleaned the carb out fully to make sure it wasn't blocked (Was sitting for 6 months doing nothing).

Changed the coil over as the old 1 wasn't giving a spark, so I now have a spark.

We have tried everything we can possibly think of, but we still can't get it to start.

I have been told by a garage to try quickstart, but my dad is really iffy about using this, as he said engines tend to rely on it once you've used it the first time.

Any help would be appreciated, and thank you ina advance.

bmwsport
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:47 - 31 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you taken the exhaust back off to see if it runs?
So you have spark, do you have fuel in the float bowl of the carb? I'm guessing its spinning over normally, you have compression?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Gordy85
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:59 - 31 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything else seems fine, compression seems ok, taken the exahust back box off, but haven't taken the whole exahust, haven't checked if fuel to see if there is fuel in the float bowl, as we've only just put the carb back onto the bike.

What would be causing the fuel not to be getting into the float bowl?

Philious
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:54 - 31 Jul 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gordy85 wrote:
Everything else seems fine, compression seems ok, taken the exahust back box off, but haven't taken the whole exahust, haven't checked if fuel to see if there is fuel in the float bowl, as we've only just put the carb back onto the bike.

What would be causing the fuel not to be getting into the float bowl?

Could be something trivial like a kink in the fuel line or a bit of crap in the line. Take the tank off and remove the hose to the carb and blow through it or leave it on and turn the fuel tap on and see if fuel comes out. Easy way of checking the fuel into the float bowl is just to undo the drain screw on the bottom if it has one.

Your dads right about the easy start though, I had a moped that had an easy start addiction, no matter how much i kicked it over normally it wouldnt start yet one squirt into the air box and she started first time.

Gordy85
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 01:25 - 01 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did think there wasn't enough fuel coming out of the tank to be honest, when I turn the fuel on, hardly anything comes out the line, and usually when you turn it on the fuel comes flowing out, so maybe I'll have a look at that tomorrow.

When we cleaned out the carb, there was a lot of petrol in it, but it wouldn't start.

Maybe I should just garage it.

bmwsport
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:46 - 01 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok bud, when you stripped the carb was the inlet manifold wet? does fel appear to be getting into the cylinder?

As for the tap, it shouldnt poor out, it is quite slow, but certainly doesn't trickle either.

If the last time it ran it had no exhaust at all i'd go back to that step and retry, does it sound like it has compression when turning over?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Gordy85
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:59 - 01 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything on the carb was wet, but the carb itself was pretty dirty inside, so we cleaned everything out to the best we could.

Sorry, I don't understand the second question, Fel?

We have tried taking the exahust off again since, and with no luck, it still doesn't start. :/

d-bug
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:25 - 01 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you took the spark plug out an put a tiny bit of petrol in the top and tried to fire it up that way ?

d-bug

Gordy85
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:01 - 02 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

We haven't, no, I assume that does the same kind of thing easy start does?

Philious
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:49 - 02 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gordy85 wrote:
We haven't, no, I assume that does the same kind of thing easy start does?

Yea but its a sure fire way to see if it will start, remember fuel, air and spark. As long as you've got those and compression she should fire up.

Also it doesn't become an easy start junkie. Thumbs Up

Gordy85
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:55 - 03 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will be trying that out tonight, see if it works or not, we also have easy start to try out, just incase.

I have been informed that if it doesn't start with easy start I need to take it to a garage, I would prefer to do this anyway.

Gordy85
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:21 - 03 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried to start the engine putting petrol on the spark plug, no go, so we decided to use easy start...it started, then cut out as soon as it started, so we're led to believe the carb it blocked somewhere we couldn't find, or the petrol tank is blocked.

How long does it take for petrol to go stale?

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:37 - 03 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately use a fresh tank of fuel after cleaning out the carbs and tank.

Gordy85
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:55 - 03 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, we're going to empty it, going to take my spare tank and clean it out, then destory the old petrol and wash out that tank too before we start again.

So far this is my 4th engine for this bike, I got screwed on 1 engine I brought off ebay, the guy sent me an engine that was fked.

Gordy85
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:20 - 04 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like such an idiot, we got the bike running today and it was running perfectly while we were bleeding the water.

The problem was water was sitting in the bottom of the petrol tank, so instead of it sucking petrol through it was sucking water (I blame my dad, he was always trying to start the bike on reserve tank, thus sucking the water through)

So all is well, for now haha

Fnatic
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:05 - 05 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up Nice one.

My RS wouldn't start randomnly yesterday so I changed the fuel in the tank, cleaned and re-oiled the filter and cleaned the carb out.

Fired up first time, weird.

Gordy85
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:24 - 05 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just when I thought all was well, the bike now won't change gears when sitting, it's like it's stuck in neutral, won't even knock down into first, I'm really concerned about taking the side of the engine off again, as we just brought a new gasket and we've used 2 bottles of gearbox oil so far, as when we recieved the engine, it was in 4th gear for some weird reason.

Is there any way you can check the gears without opening up the engine and moving all the gears to check if everything is working?

Gordy85
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:42 - 07 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we have got the bike changing gears now.

I'll post some pics of the bike soon, my dad has done a new paint job on it, and it's looking really nice.

d-bug
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:35 - 07 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had water in my carb an tank over the last 2 days with my mito , funny maybe a thing with these little wonna b race bikes lol

cheers d-bug

Gordy85
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:28 - 07 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics of the bike with everything on bar the side fairings, I'll get 1 of them when my dad finishes spraying them.

Can you guess my name?!

https://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c194/Hwang01/Newkill003.jpg

Full shot from behind.

https://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c194/Hwang01/Newkill004.jpg

Gordy85
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:55 - 08 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have found what I think is another problem, but my dad doesn't seem to think so.

The engine seems to rattle a lot, and there seems to be some kind of low grinding noise coming from the engine, I'm pretty sure we've done everything right, so any ideas what it could be?

Just sitting idle within 5 minutes the temp is going upto 80+, my old engine would sit at 65 until you ride it.

Just took the bike for a ride up and down my road, it stalled 4 times and would only start with the choke on, would this be caused by the mix of petrol/oil being off?

After starting the bike for the 4th time, I got it to keep running, but it seemed to pull away like the engine was still cold, but the radiator was boiling hot, and the water temp was sitting at 72, I got a little worried about this

tshort2007
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:51 - 08 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you bled the air out the cooling system?

Gordy85
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:29 - 08 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did, but I believe we didn't do it enough, just started it a minute ago, the bike was still making a really weird engine noise (Could be because of not getting enough cool water?)

The head was hot, but some of the pipes were cold, and the water in the chamber above the head was cold too, which doesn't make sense, as the radiator was hot as well as the head.

tshort2007
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:14 - 08 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

check the thermotat. drop it in boling water, and check it opens.

Gordy85
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:16 - 08 Aug 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, we're gunna do that tomorrow, and hopefully my mechanic friend is gunna come round and have a look at it too.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 254 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2