Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

GSXR750/1157 hybrid

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:30 - 06 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

would brakes and forks need changing?? maybe tyres, although they are pretty damn wide as is!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:01 - 06 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

You probably could get away with using the 750 carbs with a suitable jetting kit. My GSXR11 has some 38mm carbs on it that I think came from a GSXR750.

All the best

Keith

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 23:55 - 06 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about putting rf900 barrels and pistons on it? I think they fit. I would have though the bandit engine to not have anywhere near the top end of the 750. The extra cc should give you some more grunt while keeping the top end.

chris-red

PostPosted: 23:55 - 06 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about putting rf900 barrels and pistons on it? I think they fit. I would have though the bandit engine to not have anywhere near the top end of the 750. The extra cc should give you some more grunt while keeping the top end.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 00:01 - 07 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

RF900 is a water cooled engine, while his 750 is an oil cooled one. Loads of differences.

The 1200 Bandit engine is probably a very easy fit. Just need some spacers for the rear engine mounts and a few minor odds and sods. The Bandit is one of the few bikes that gains a serious amount of power just from changing the silencer let along the full system, and with that it would easily have way more top end than the 750 but with massively more in the mid range. GSXR cams in the Bandit engine would help even more.

All the best

Keith

chris-red

PostPosted: 00:51 - 07 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough, I think it must be the newer 750's that you can put the rf900 barrels on.

What sort of power would a lightly fettled bandit 12 make?

bandit
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 02:10 - 07 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have seen people do your mode...

The problem is going to be the cost Sad / you time i love the gsxr,s...
But instead of spending £1000 plus and all the work Sad , just go and buy a Bandit with all the hard work done Very Happy ..
( getting cheaper at the moment Very Happy Very Happy )

I have owned lots of 1200s the best engines are the pre 2001 i have 2002 model with out lots of modes its more like riding a 600.
(they changed timing, carbs etc etc etc)

My last 1999 model with dyno jet kit gsr750 early inlet cam and exhaust, moded air box , head skimmed 5 degree advance etc,(138bhp at wheel) moded suspension would pull from 20mph in top Very Happy and give me the best fun i ever had as well as trying to smack me in the face with the bars every time i wacked the throttle open in 1st & 2nd Evil or Very Mad , better than sex well just Confused ...

Even after owning R1 and Busa and others Laughing Laughing Laughing the Bandit with Modes always Rocks my Boat in the £1 for power stakes..... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

It can be the loving sister or the Evil mother in law all in one package,,,, Let The Fun Begine Cool Cool Cool Cool

All the best with your project Thumbs Up

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 08:42 - 07 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
What sort of power would a lightly fettled bandit 12 make?

You will get 10+hp just from changing the can, and getting on for 20hp from a full system. More easy bolt on gains from some cams. Bit over £300 for a set of 1216cc pistons, bringing the compression up a bit. 150hp is not that difficult to get (about what mine manages having had the work done by Big CC).

All the best

Keith

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 08:58 - 07 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

To those apart from Keith and BlueX5:

The GSXR 7-11 is a commonly built bike to try to get the advantages of the 750 with the advantages of the 1100 and none of the downsides. Apparently it works surprisingly well, and a lot of the old skool professional stunt guys used 7/11s.

https://oldskoolsuzuki.info/uk_lee/Thebikes/711/711Buildup.htm

The above thread might be useful BlueX5... Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SW Motech Shop UK
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:47 - 07 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that there are still people out there who want a 7/11. I still think the 750M is one of the best looking bikes ever.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:43 - 07 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLUEX5 wrote:
especially as good 1100's are £2.5k plus.

Have they gone up that much? When I bought mine (April last year) prices for an oil boiler were from about £800 to about £2000. I paid ~£1600 for mine, and that includes paying extra for it as it had a longer Spondon swinging arm fitted (could have had a nice standard one for about £1300). For £2500 I would expect one in concourse condition.

All the best

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 15:12 - 07 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

In which case they have rocketted in the last year. £1300 was the going price for a pretty nice K locally when I bought my L. At £1600 the L came with the Spondon arm (which I wanted for what I bought the bike for), 3 spare sets of carbs (a set of 36mm carbs, set of 38mm carbs and a tatty set of 36mm flat slides), dyna 2000 ignition, load of spare gaskets, lockup clutch kit and some other stuff I have forgotten about.

All the best

Keith

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 16:44 - 07 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Lee's a mate of mine. Buys bits off of me as well. Wink

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 20:08 - 07 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's good reason to use the B12 bottom end, the cam chain is considerably stronger than the GSXR11 item. also the B12 has a different output shaft to the 11K motor that is suitable for use with a 180 rear tyre.
Although iirc the B12 is a lower compression motor than the 11 add a 750J/K head which has the same size valves as the 11 and a wider bore than the long stroke 750 and the compression will end up slightly higher than the 11 lump so overall a slight power increase.
1216 big bore although not that big a jump ups the volumetric efficiency nicely giving a bigger mid range.
You will as far as I know need an 11 exhaust.
Carbs I would use the 38mm mikuni's. Factory do a kit for them on the 11 engine, pretty sure the airbox won't fit as the 11/B12 is a taller lump. The best inlet manifolds are the ones off of the 750L/M, straighter inlet path. I have several sets kicking about, some take off that haven't been used and are almost new condition.
If you were feeling up to it a crank balance can make a hell of a difference to smoothness on these lumps, they are good as standard but a little extra help never goes amiss.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:46 - 08 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its anything like my slabby 7/11, its pretty easy.

I used RS36's for mine.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:21 - 08 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Things

That's some serious knowledge you have their sickpup. Thumbs Up

I've only ever seen standard GSXR1100s, and judging by the size of the steering damper they were rather wayward. (For those that haven't seen it, similar to a bicycle pump.) That bike was mint and standard and only cost £1500 a couple of years back.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:43 - 08 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

Carbs I would use the 38mm mikuni's. Factory do a kit for them on the 11 engine, pretty sure the airbox won't fit as the 11/B12 is a taller lump.

It wont, the intake angle is a little different and the GSXR11/B12 motor is a fair bit taller. I just fitted the obligatory K&N double pods.

Its worth drilling and tapping the tops of the outer K&Ns (or S&B or whatever) and fitting a rain cover as the right hand pod can let water in when parked on the sidestand.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 15:17 - 08 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I kept the stock airbox on my Bandit when the engine was tuned. Guy who did the carb setup wasn't too happy as he thought he could get it better on single filters, but it went well, was fairly quiet and fairly subtle (gave a dyno guy a shock when he ran it without knowing about anything more than the exhaust). I did chop the lid of the airbox up though rather than keeping the small stock intake.

Currently it has some 40mm flat slides which mean it is running on K&N filters (and a chopped up airbox to hold the chrome covers and hide the air filters).

All the best

Keith

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:25 - 08 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLUEX5 wrote:
Meh....would be a stretch as I've spent the last 15 years telling everyone how shit pod filters are. I'm still not convinced the standard airbox can be matched for all round running, especially with a K&N drop in filter.

Its more of a case that the airbox simply wont fit with the B12 engine in place.

treat yourself to a nice set of RS36's, work lovely with pod filters. Also perfectly tractable on the road. I disabled the accellerator pump on mine and was still great. I averaged 40-45mpg on a cruise with them on my 1100G.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 205 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2