Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How do you balance carbs?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

twotakt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 15 Sep 2009    Post subject: How do you balance carbs? Reply with quote

Need to balance mine and wondered what methods/tools people use and how successful/difficult they found them?

Do you go for this cheapo method? Click

Cheap (relatively) tool? Gunson Carb Balancer

Expensive posh tool? Davida 4-way Vaccum Gauge

For me, it'll be rarely used but I want something accurate enough for road use Smile. It's something that I'd only want to have to buy once, not interested in false economy.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:31 - 15 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

use a piece of metal rod and set all of the slides or butterflys the same against the rod and reset the idle screw. Dead easy.

The Original Muzza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:35 - 15 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Above method can be done, but vacuum gauge is most efficient.

Davida 2 cylinder gauge costs half the price of the 4 cylinder, and you can easily balance 4 cylinders using it.
Just keep one gauge on your first cylinder, then balance the rest from that, one at a time. Thumbs Up

FerretFing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:30 - 16 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this one;

https://www.carbtune.com/

Thumbs Up

twotakt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 16 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ended up buying the Davida 2 Gauge, saves me £50 over the 4 gauge.

Cheers lads Smile

Rufus
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:51 - 16 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

ngsavfc wrote:
I use this one;

Thumbs Up

was looking at this yesterday as i phoned round a few garages asking how much to balance the carbs on the pooperdream and they all just ummed and ahh'd so fuck em.

how does it compare to the davida gauges? considering they're bloody expensive when compared to pattern gauges or don't you know?

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:16 - 16 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muzza wrote:
Above method can be done, but vacuum gauge is most efficient.

Davida 2 cylinder gauge costs half the price of the 4 cylinder, and you can easily balance 4 cylinders using it.
Just keep one gauge on your first cylinder, then balance the rest from that, one at a time. Thumbs Up

Right in a way but you'll find that the vast majority of IL4s are set-up so you have to balance carbs 1 to 2, 3 to 4 and then 1 and 2 to 3 and 4. You can do it with a 2 gauge balancer but it's quicker and easier with a 4 way.

I bought a Morgan Carbtune, top piece of kit.

Cheers

Grim
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.

twotakt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:25 - 16 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

the grim reaper wrote:

Right in a way but you'll find that the vast majority of IL4s are set-up so you have to balance carbs 1 to 2, 3 to 4 and then 1 and 2 to 3 and 4. You can do it with a 2 gauge balancer but it's quicker and easier with a 4 way.

Whilst I agree it's easier, its doesn't seem to be an awful lot harder with the 2 gauge. Most IL4's have 3 adjusters AFAIK? (could be wrong).

No.1, balances cyl 1&2, No.3 Balances cyl 3&4 and No.2 balances 1&2 against 3&4. Like this:

https://www.zxrworld.co.uk/zxr400/workshop/carbs/carb5.jpg

With the 2 gauge, put it on cyl 1&2 balance, then on cyl 3&4 balance and then on cyl 2&3 and balance them against each other?

Please correct me if I'm wrong because I'll have to msg the seller to get them to upgrade my purchase to a 4 gauge Smile.

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 16 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackdim wrote:
the grim reaper wrote:

Whilst I agree it's easier, its doesn't seem to be an awful lot harder with the 2 gauge. Most IL4's have 3 adjusters AFAIK? (could be wrong).

No.1, balances cyl 1&2, No.3 Balances cyl 3&4 and No.2 balances 1&2 against 3&4. Like this:

https://www.zxrworld.co.uk/zxr400/workshop/carbs/carb5.jpg

With the 2 gauge, put it on cyl 1&2 balance, then on cyl 3&4 balance and then on cyl 2&3 and balance them against each other?

Please correct me if I'm wrong because I'll have to msg the seller to get them to upgrade my purchase to a 4 gauge Smile.

You are absolutely correct, but remember that the engine always needs to be up to temperature before balancing the carbs and I got fed up with burning my fingers on the block whilst trying to change hoses.

As I said, a dual gauge will allow you to do the job but a four way makes the job easier.

Cheers

Grim
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.

The Original Muzza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:59 - 16 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balancing with a 2-way takes longer, but jackdim wanted to be thrifty without purchasing a sub-standard piece of equipment. He saved 50 quid and got an excellent quality tool, extra time and fiddling is the compromise of the tight pursestrings of people like jackdim and myself. Laughing

beast rider
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:49 - 16 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could have bought these for less then the ones you got and they do all four at the same time
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

FerretFing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 16 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rufus wrote:
ngsavfc wrote:
I use this one;

Thumbs Up

was looking at this yesterday as i phoned round a few garages asking how much to balance the carbs on the pooperdream and they all just ummed and ahh'd so fuck em.

how does it compare to the davida gauges? considering they're bloody expensive when compared to pattern gauges or don't you know?

All I can say is they did the job for me - I don`t have anything to compare them to but found it easy to use (which I need!). I looked at various reviews & it seemed a safe bet Thumbs Up

twotakt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:20 - 16 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muzza wrote:
Balancing with a 2-way takes longer, but jackdim wanted to be thrifty without purchasing a sub-standard piece of equipment. He saved 50 quid and got an excellent quality tool, extra time and fiddling is the compromise of the tight pursestrings of people like jackdim and myself. Laughing

Noes it! 2 Gauge is enough and I got a top quality bit of kit Smile.

yuri2085
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:24 - 16 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used some cheapo thing with two tubes with a ball in each one, tube had two ends (for two cylinders) and the other tube had a ball just affected by gravity, to balance the cylinders one just needed to align the balls.

For 16 quid it worked pretty well although I did wish I didn't have to keep swapping around.
p.s. not INCREDIBLY accurate either but I believe it got the job done.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:25 - 17 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

beast rider wrote:
You could have bought these for less then the ones you got and they do all four at the same time

I tried a set of them once and they were absolutely terrible. THe hose barbs are huge compared to the adjustable restrictors so the hoses are impossibly difficult to fit on the gauges or leak air around the restrictor fittings, which is worse than not having a set of gauges as you get false results.

The Davida ones have restrictors built into the hose fittings on the gauges. They are really very good.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:25 - 17 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

beast rider wrote:

I tried a set of them once and they were absolutely terrible. THe hose barbs are huge compared to the adjustable restrictors so the hoses are impossibly difficult to fit on the gauges or leak air around the restrictor fittings, which is worse than not having a set of gauges as you get false results.

The Davida ones have restrictors built into the hose fittings on the gauges. They are really very good.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

beast rider
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:02 - 18 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow they must have been bad for you to tell me twice Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Peirre oBollox
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 09:29 - 19 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

beast rider wrote:

I got a set of those spare, nearly new condition.

I recently bought a Pilot screw adjusting tool to do the job, almost no need to remove the tank, saving you time

yanto
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:16 - 19 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

ngsavfc wrote:
I use this one;

Thumbs Up

i have tryed them all i find these the best
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 216 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1