Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

SV1000 info please.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

TimNorwich
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:29 - 18 Sep 2009    Post subject: SV1000 info please. Reply with quote

Hello there!

So basically, i'm looking into ?up?grading my bike in April (when my restricted liscence runs out).

I was, at first looking at 900 Fireblades, around the age 1998, however they all seem old/tatty with very high mileage.

In looking at bikes from dealers and private it seems i'd get alot more for my money buying a SV1000. They certainly look spectacular in the looks department too!

They have steering dampers, fuel injection, digi speedo, awesome tail lights.. All as standard.

A problem I may have is fitting onto the bike too, i'm a tall lad at about 6.2-6.3. I did however manage to fit on a GPZ500 for a year so as long as its no smaller than that.

However I need to know if there are any things to look out for? Im looking at getting a half-faired model.

Also if I'd be making a bad move buying a SV1000.

Thanks,

Tim.
Speedshite 50cc > Honda XR125L > Kawasaki GPZ 500 S > 02 Honda Hornet > 05 Honda CG125 winter hack > 04 Kawasaki ER-5 > 99 Honda Hornet 600 > Kawasaki GPZ 500 S > 99 Honda Hornet 600 > 05 Honda CBR600F > 01 Honda Hornet

Last edited by TimNorwich on 16:38 - 18 Sep 2009; edited 1 time in total

BanditJeff
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:37 - 18 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I test rode one and found it as uncomfortable as hell. i'm 6'2" same as yerself.
Felt really cramped on it and all the weight was on my wrists.

Apart from that they are good bikes with a really punchy v twin.

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian

PostPosted: 17:33 - 18 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

SV1000 vs Back of car

SV1000 wins

I had one, was a great bike, I miss it now, great for doing everything from commuting to tracksdays, wheelies to knee down.

I reckon the bkini faring ones look ace too, sound awesome with after market cans too.

Dont mention the MPG though Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kat250
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:56 - 18 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke wrote:
SV1000 vs Back of car

SV1000 wins

Ah the legendry sv1000 that wrote of a car and was driven away by chriss (or so the story goes)

Very underrated bikes. My dads got one had it for 5 years or so now and loves is apart from the clipon's due to arthritis and smashed wrists. The finish on them is up to suzukis budget finish. Bear in mind that the bike at the end of the day was a budget "street bike" and didnt have anything spectacular on it but it works and works well and doesnt look too bad Smile. Have had a shot of one and i like it nice engine handles ok for what it is and do sound good with a set of after market cans Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mark83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:36 - 18 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're interested in an VTR firestorm, then I've got one for sale.

It's in good nick and I've just had it serviced.

It has to go as I've just bought a brand new Guzzi to go touring 2-up with the Mrs!!!

PM me if you're interested.
Mark
Thumbs Up

Handsome
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:02 - 18 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loves mine I does and I whole heartedly recommend them... Thumbs Up

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 20:07 - 18 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not ridden one, but have a few mates that have, and they say they are the bees knees. I ride the 650 version, have 35" inside leg and until recently all has been well. Ideally would like a little more space between seat and pegs...but its doable. Thumbs Up

_Will_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 18 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be knowing of an svthou with some nice cans going cheap, lemme know if you want more info.

Lowers (fairing)
Blue
Just serviced
£600 worth cans

£2700
|| 1999 Cbr1100xx Blackbird ||
||| 2000 Kawasaki Zx12R ||| (|2009 Street Triple R |) // 2004 Honda Hornet Streetfighter \\|=| 2000 BMW R1100S |=| ------ My Bikepics page ------
Suffering Bike Withdrawal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:57 - 18 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

NSR-AD wrote:

Just don't change the oil yourself. Wink

Handsome
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:25 - 19 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

flip wrote:
NSR-AD wrote:

Just don't change the oil yourself. Wink

Whistle
Wilson123 This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

TimNorwich
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:33 - 19 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated... Hopefully before buying one I will be able to test ride it.

What sort of mileage are they good to?

Is maintenance fairly hassle free on them? From looking at pictures it looks like one half of the engine goes up under the seat, and the other half points towards the front wheel?

Many thanks!

Tim.
Speedshite 50cc > Honda XR125L > Kawasaki GPZ 500 S > 02 Honda Hornet > 05 Honda CG125 winter hack > 04 Kawasaki ER-5 > 99 Honda Hornet 600 > Kawasaki GPZ 500 S > 99 Honda Hornet 600 > 05 Honda CBR600F > 01 Honda Hornet

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian

PostPosted: 15:36 - 19 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maintainance? Ha!

I never maintained mine, despite lots of shit wheelies, commuting and a track day, and still never had any problems, had it for almost 2 years, no chain and sprockets, no oil change, was still going fine at 20,000 miles. Someone stole it in the end, the jokes on them Razz.

Oh yeah and it was running with no baffles and backfiring the whole time so the fuel injection was probably buggerd too.

Still no problems, bullet proof Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TimNorwich
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:40 - 19 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realise backfiring messed up the FI, I thought all the beefy zuasts on bikes backfired?

Are the aftermarket cans legal if they have baffles in and are BSAU stamped? My understanding is that they are still loud with the baffles in.

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian

PostPosted: 15:46 - 19 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it fucks up carbs, so /*shrug*/

Think it messes up the timings as well Very Happy,

I had a set of scorpions, one of the baffles actually flew out on a morning commute Doh!

Smile

TimNorwich
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:50 - 19 Sep 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what you told the police anyway Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 228 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1