Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Alexio's trip to Ireland 2009

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Alexio
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:28 - 25 Nov 2009    Post subject: Alexio's trip to Ireland 2009 Reply with quote

So, I've just set a date for my next epic 125 journey, I've promised to visit my friend in the south of Ireland, Cork. On my CG125. In 8 days time. So on with the planning! I'm going to set forth from Hastings in the early hours of the 3rd of December and try to make it to Fishgaurd in Wales to catch the ferry over.

The first part of my journey I plan to head up the A21 to London, find the A40 that starts in the very centre of London and then follow the A40 (without getting off of it once) all the way to the very end of Wales where I will be getting that ferry. Of particular interest here is the challenge of riding the length of the A40, one of the longest A roads in England I think.

Google maps tells me via directions that it is:

Quote:
Driving directions to Fishguard, Dyfed, UK
332 mi – about 8 hours 53 mins

Shocked Good fun!

Clicky

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/journey1.jpg

The CG is currently registering 19570.5 miles on the clock (although I know for a fact that 500 miles went missing recently). It's only been 500 miles since my last oil change but I will definitely be changing the oil before I set forth. The chain and sprockets have only been on there a couple of thousand miles if that and the engine seems to be sounding healthier than ever.

So, the plan is to set off while still dark, early in the morning, and stop once every hour along the way and make a post here, to this thread, with my iPhone detailing my progress and uploading pictures as I go. I have just ordered an iPhone extra battery pack in the hope that it will give me enough power to do this.

It looks like the latest ferry is at 14:30, so if it really does take 9 hours to get there, I'm going to set out at 01:00 am to make sure that I make it (don't worry, I'll plan a good night of sleep the day before).
https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/ferry.jpg

Finally, the journey from Rosslare to Cork is about a 3 hour ride.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/journey2.jpg

I'd really, really appreciate your thoughts and comments on if you think I can do it or not and what I might need to bring with me for the journey. Personally, I'm just praying for good weather. Thumbs Up

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:58 - 25 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only advice would be to wrap up Laughing

Good luck and I will be following your progress Thumbs Up

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 19:41 - 25 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's an epic journey...hope the weather is kind to you. Thumbs Up

Devans
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 01:16 - 26 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck dude, i'll be keeping updated.

Take care and ride safe Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
cvntdude This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Pernig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:42 - 26 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making roads a focal point of your journey is always fun. When we went to Cornwall we followed a Roman road as much as we could. Originally it went all the way from Lincoln to Exeter!

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:47 - 26 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good trip. I did a 300 miler on a Yam SR125 and it wasn't that bad.

What I found most helpful was simply not to care when you get there. Just rest easy and be happy to bumble along slowly. I was doing 50-55 most of the way on the 125. You're gonna get there at the end of the day so sit back and enjoy the ride.

Stay hydrated, its easy not to drink when your riding for many hours... I get bad headaches if I've got a helmet and I don't keep my fluids up.

Lastly, don't fret about stopping. Need to take a leak or sort that tight spot in you lid. Just pull over and do it, same with adjusting clothing as the weather dictates. Get the lid off and massage those ears as often as poss too it really helps keep the blood going and avoid horrible pain. Zorst makes a great way of heating hands too when things are getting dire, just keeps the gloves on.

Drink up, wrap up and take it easy and you'll be fine.

Enjoy the trip!

Rich
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Faldo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:45 - 26 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly looks like an epic 125 journey.

Godspeed Thumbs Up .

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:00 - 26 Nov 2009    Post subject: Re: Alexio's trip to Ireland 2009 Reply with quote

Can you leave the day before and stay/camp somewhere on the way?

Were it me, I'd be tempted to do half the UK bit the day before then stay somewhere the night. Suspect I'd find it more fun that way.

Have you checked you can ride on L plates in southern Ireland?

Alexio
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 26 Nov 2009    Post subject: Re: Alexio's trip to Ireland 2009 Reply with quote

G wrote:
Can you leave the day before and stay/camp somewhere on the way?

Were it me, I'd be tempted to do half the UK bit the day before then stay somewhere the night. Suspect I'd find it more fun that way.

Have you checked you can ride on L plates in southern Ireland?

Well, that seems to kind of lessen the challenege of doing it all at once but I agree that it would make it much more managable. As it happens there is the possibility that I could do the first part of the journey wednesday evening and sleep at my sisters flat which is pretty much in central London. Then, I could tackle just the A40 the next day.

As for riding in Ireland, I haven't been able to find any official information at all yet (on the whole of the internet!), other than that they do use the same L plates as we do in England. Along with how lazy road enforcement has been described to me by my friend I think there is very little chance that I will be stopped. At least, that's what I'm hoping. If anyone can help me with this information there will be much karma to go around.

Thanks for all of your encourement and tips already people Thumbs Up

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:02 - 26 Nov 2009    Post subject: Re: Alexio's trip to Ireland 2009 Reply with quote

Depends if you see the challenge as the fun or the general riding Smile.
I've done long days on the bike, but tend to find it tedious more than anything.

For the record, google says 'no' - but then throughout my time riding in Europe I never had anything checked across eight countries Smile.
Might be worth checking out the possible penalties and seeing if it makes sense to take your L plate off.

Alexio
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:58 - 28 Nov 2009    Post subject: Re: Alexio's trip to Ireland 2009 Reply with quote

G wrote:
Depends if you see the challenge as the fun or the general riding Smile.
I've done long days on the bike, but tend to find it tedious more than anything.

For the record, google says 'no' - but then throughout my time riding in Europe I never had anything checked across eight countries Smile.
Might be worth checking out the possible penalties and seeing if it makes sense to take your L plate off.

Well, for the sake of being alive when I get to Ireland, I've decided to split the journey in to two parts. Up to London on Wednesday night, a short sleep and then onwards the length of the A40. This will allow people to follow my journey a bit better I think too. As for riding in Ireland, I think I'll just be able to get away with it to be honest with no L plates Thumbs Up stuff like insurance and their own version of the CBT (learner permit) I'm sure isn't all that important. There are hardly any cars on the road over there compared to here anyway.

Jamie S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 28 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I went to cardiff on my 50, I only had one problem in 512 miles, that was the split link broke on my chain. Luckily I was only about 5 miles from a bike shop and a nice farmer gave me a lift, I bought a brand new chain and fitted it out side the shop !
I reccomend for the cost (no more than £3) you carry a spare split link some where on your bike , I allways have a spare in my jacket just incase.

If you have room: id reccomend you carry a whole chain cut to the right length, two spare spark plugs and something to remove your plug with, any tools you need to remove either wheel, a can of tyre weld, (again, for the sake of £6 id never go any where long
distance with out one) a few pairs of disposible latex gloves, nothing worse than having to fix somthing on your bike to then find out you have oily hands, and have to put your gloves back on... Sick
Also a hi-vis jacket + tourch , just incase you brake down some where with no lights, on an unlit road

Alexio
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:35 - 29 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamie stokes wrote:
When I went to cardiff on my 50, I only had one problem in 512 miles, that was the split link broke on my chain. Luckily I was only about 5 miles from a bike shop and a nice farmer gave me a lift, I bought a brand new chain and fitted it out side the shop !
I reccomend for the cost (no more than £3) you carry a spare split link some where on your bike , I allways have a spare in my jacket just incase.

If you have room: id reccomend you carry a whole chain cut to the right length, two spare spark plugs and something to remove your plug with, any tools you need to remove either wheel, a can of tyre weld, (again, for the sake of £6 id never go any where long
distance with out one) a few pairs of disposible latex gloves, nothing worse than having to fix somthing on your bike to then find out you have oily hands, and have to put your gloves back on... Sick
Also a hi-vis jacket + tourch , just incase you brake down some where with no lights, on an unlit road

You recommend I carry with me;
Arrow an entire chain
Arrow two spark plugs
Arrow an entire tool kit
Arrow tyre weld
Arrow latex gloves
Arrow hi-vis jacket
Arrow torch

Shocked my goodness, I think that's a bit extensive for my tastes. I always carry with me an adjustable spanner where ever I go, that lets me do most things on my bike and my pen knife has it's screwdriver for various other things. I know it'll end up being about a 1000 mile round trip but that list is just silly.

I'm pretty sure my chain and spark plug is completely fine and they are really quite new anyway. I have absolute faith in my electrics, my phone(s) act well as torches, some of my gear has various hi-vis bits on it and I think I can cope with slightly oily hands.

I'm pretty confident then really except for my tires. I am very tempted to buy a spare inner tube and take it with me. I won't have a way to pump it up but I do have break down cover so at least if I am reached by a recovery vehicle I'll all be sorted out pretty quickly.

I plan on bringing a spare fiver petrol money and hope I get there Thumbs Up

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 14:00 - 29 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the number for an SOS mobile bike mechanic if you need it...

Jamie S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 29 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexio wrote:
Arrow an entire chain
Arrow two spark plugs
Arrow an entire tool kit
Arrow tyre weld
Arrow latex gloves
Arrow hi-vis jacket
Arrow torch

Shocked my goodness, I think that's a bit extensive for my tastes. I always carry with me an adjustable spanner where ever I go, that lets me do most things on my bike and my pen knife has it's screwdriver for various other things. I know it'll end up being about a 1000 mile round trip but that list is just silly.

Well, you may just live to regret it, and that "sillly" list doesnt even take up a quater of my topbox. so hardly a space issue really is it ?
Also , I don't know if you know but plugs can just randomly stop working, often this happens when your miles from home and don't have one to hand ... Wink
I'd hazzard a guess you wern't even planning to carry a plug spanner ?
Jamie.

Alexio
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:22 - 29 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamie stokes wrote:
Alexio wrote:
Arrow an entire chain
Arrow two spark plugs
Arrow an entire tool kit
Arrow tyre weld
Arrow latex gloves
Arrow hi-vis jacket
Arrow torch

Well, you may just live to regret it, and that "sillly" list doesnt even take up a quater of my topbox. so hardly a space issue really is it ?
Also , I don't know if you know but plugs can just randomly stop working, often this happens when your miles from home and don't have one to hand ... Wink
I'd hazzard a guess you wern't even planning to carry a plug spanner ?
Jamie.

Well, when I had my Lifan 125 I carried my spark plug spanner with me everywhere and a spare plug and it was incredibly useful! I've mostly just come to rely on the CG as entirely bulletproof though, especially proved by the time it got me home while leaking oil. I hope I don't live to regret it, but if you've just gone the last year with a faultless bike when it comes to most areas of it, why would change your thinking now?

I'm jealous of your top box though, that's something I've been wanting. If I did have one then no doubt I would be able to carry such things with me. As I said though, I have break down cover, so if it's something as silly as a plug, I'm absolutely sure that the AA carries such things with them in their vans Wink

Oh, and thanks for that number Clanger Smile

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:44 - 29 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a CG125, why would it break down? Only thing I'd say is I wouldn't fancy sitting on motorways/dual carriageways all day on a 125, so I'd try and make the route as interesting as possible without doubling the time it'd take (or just accepting that and camping/B&B/hosteling). Even if the boring roads don't bother you it's not as if you can use half of the ones you've got mapped on L plates anyway.

27cows
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:52 - 29 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with carrying a good supply of tools and replacements. It's a pain and it takes up valuable space, but imagine having to abandon your trip because of something silly.

I always carry a foot pump, spare tube, tyre weld, spare brake cable (can be used as a clutch cable with the aid of one washer, in an emergency), spare throttle cable, multi-screwdriver, two spare split links, 3/8" ratchet, six sockets, three spanners, tyre levers, pliers, gaffa tape, spare bulbs for headlight and tail light, stanley knife, plug, plug spanner, mini torch, three bungee cords, some rag, mini can of WD40, 500ml of 2 stroke, a foot of spare fuel line, a foot of spare oil line, superglue, spare nuts and screws for things like the chain guard, spare 17 and 19mm castellated nuts, plumbers sealing tape, Red Hermetite and a mobile phone.

I've probably forgotten a couple of bits too Wink

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:56 - 29 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quarter of top box sounds like rather a lot - on my daily ride I generally have the top box full of stuff needed for when I get to the other end, as well using an additional tank bag.
Generally an 'official' tool bag will contain all the basics you need.
I've never had a plug randomly stop working, though it is known for them to get a bit coked up on competition 2 strokes (I've never had this, I thought I was, but it turned out to be a dodgy HT lead.) Taking a spare, maybe, taking too seems rather excessive.
When off-roading I often carry a small can of push-bike tyre weld, this is useful, but you're much more likely to get punctures when riding over rocky stuff with 10psi! A decent but short-lived key ring LED torch is useful for most things, but a phone will do the job ok most times too.
A spare chain links can be sensible, a whole spare chain again seems excessive - get to the point you're towing a whole spare bike behind you Wink.
In conclusion, I'd maybe add a couple of bits to under-seat tool kit, but no more than fits under the seat, unless you're expecting some kind of nuclear armageddon, anyway.

Faldo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:59 - 29 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

27cows wrote:
I agree with carrying a good supply of tools and replacements. It's a pain and it takes up valuable space, but imagine having to abandon your trip because of something silly.

I always carry a foot pump, spare tube, tyre weld, spare brake cable (can be used as a clutch cable with the aid of one washer, in an emergency), spare throttle cable, multi-screwdriver, two spare split links, 3/8" ratchet, six sockets, three spanners, tyre levers, pliers, gaffa tape, spare bulbs for headlight and tail light, stanley knife, plug, plug spanner, mini torch, three bungee cords, some rag, mini can of WD40, 500ml of 2 stroke, a foot of spare fuel line, a foot of spare oil line, superglue, spare nuts and screws for things like the chain guard, spare 17 and 19mm castellated nuts, plumbers sealing tape, Red Hermetite and a mobile phone.

I'm suprised you can pull off with all that strapped to a 100cc bike Laughing . Serious overkill. I'd honestly take less than that tool wise on a 5000 mile European trip.

Alexio
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:24 - 29 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

yellowninja wrote:
27cows wrote:

I'm suprised you can pull off with all that strapped to a 100cc bike Laughing . Serious overkill. I'd honestly take less than that tool wise on a 5000 mile European trip.

LOL Laughing he probably has to carry all that around on his bike because the sheer weight of it all is what constantly causes his breakdowns Razz I bet he even does top end rebuilds on the road side when he needs moar powar!! Thumbs Up

This thread is now getting rather ridiculous. I have break down cover and so the only thing I'm going to carry with me is a spare tube and possibly a small foot pump if I can be bothered to go out and find one. That's IT people. Thanks for the advice and general lunacy though Laughing

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:34 - 29 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

After getting a puncture and the breakdown not being able to do anything about it (they gave me a knackered Fiesta to get home in), carrying a spare tube makes sense, but I'd be tempted to stick some levers in too, as not sure they'd be able to get it off either.

27cows
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:37 - 29 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

yellowninja wrote:
27cows wrote:

Might sound excessive, but over the years I've been glad of my caution. Never had to call the RAC yet. Of course, I don't carry all that lot on shorter trips, just if I'm going to be doing serious distance. The RXS and the Bandit are virtually indestructible, but I've had bikes in the past where doing various roadside maintenance was par for the course. I've done all sorts in laybys and then been able to continue my journey Wink

I've had punctures on the RXS (bad enough to need the tube replacing a couple of times). Had a plug suddenly die once. Leaky carb, which I stripped and sorted. Chain adjustment is fairly common. Then again, I tend to cover quite high mileage Wink

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:38 - 29 Nov 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

27cows wrote:
Might sound excessive, but over the years I've been glad of my caution. Never had to call the RAC yet. Of course, I don't carry all that lot on shorter trips, just if I'm going to be doing serious distance. The RXS and the Bandit are virtually indestructible, but I've had bikes in the past where doing various roadside maintenance was par for the course. I've done all sorts in laybys and then been able to continue my journey Wink

I've had punctures on the RXS (bad enough to need the tube replacing a couple of times). Had a plug suddenly die once. Leaky carb, which I stripped and sorted. Chain adjustment is fairly common. Then again, I tend to cover quite high mileage Wink

Breaking down and having to bodge something adds to the adventure. You don't get that because you just tow your whole garage behind you Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 145 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4