Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Will idle, but will not rev up

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ant132
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 30 Nov 2009    Post subject: Will idle, but will not rev up Reply with quote

Hi all, ive just put a new engine in my Triumph Trident, however, now that its up and running it refuses to rev. It will generally idle fine but will not rev up past about 1750/2000 rpm without cutting out.

Any idea on what to look at?

Thanks, Ant Thumbs Up

oldbiker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:55 - 01 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to diagnose from so far away,

cutting out through weakness?
I would check for fuel starvation first, Is the fuel line blocked or kinked, tank breather clear?

Then check for carb problems such as crap in the filters or a loose slide needle.
-------------------------------------------------------
Cutting out due to richness?
Check the chokes are not staying on.
Check that all the jets are secure, has a main jet come loose?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:00 - 01 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check all passageways in carb.

Most likely something is blocked and only the idle circuit it working.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:33 - 02 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

tzr.steve wrote:
Hard to diagnose from so far away,

cutting out through weakness?
I would check for fuel starvation first, Is the fuel line blocked or kinked, tank breather clear?

Then check for carb problems such as crap in the filters or a loose slide needle.
-------------------------------------------------------
Cutting out due to richness?
Check the chokes are not staying on.
Check that all the jets are secure, has a main jet come loose?

+1

Check youve clamped the carbs on properly and the airbox is porperly fitted.

Did you mobe the ignition rotor or was it the on on the new engine?

Alexio
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:41 - 02 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time this happened to me I just could not figure it out. Idles fine, but dies as soon as you tough the throttle. Then I looked at the fuel gauge and realised I was empty Laughing Switched to my reserve tank and all was well. It's just amazing that I got my bike home with no problems and used up exactly the right amount of fuel to empty my tank without it dying.

Anyway, it's sure to be a fuel / carb problem as suggested above.

Ant132
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:57 - 02 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies Thumbs Up

I had the carbs back off yesterday and found them spotless, cleaned them anyway but didnt find any blocked jets or anything.

I put them back on and made sure the airbox and inlet rubbers were tight and on properly. The fuel lines are all clear and routed OK with no kinks or snags.

It works 'ok' on the choke but seems to rev up very quickly. As in, the slightest bit of choke will make the revs shoot up, but the throttle wont.

Ignition rotor was supplied with the engine. Also, i definately have enough fuel. Im running it on reserve to make sure but ive also tried it on prime - no difference.

As i say ive already cleaned them again but i havent tried it, due to there now being a dodgy wire or something to the solenoid. All im getting is the occasional clicking. But i dont get anything unless i wiggle the wires about. One thing after another.. Laughing

Thanks all, Ant Thumbs Up

Alexio
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 02 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be weird throttle linkage, or a weird electrical problem them where every time the throttle is opened, it shorts two wires somewhere and it all just dies Shocked That would be unlucky indeed.

Ant132
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:35 - 02 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, sorted that dodgy wire. Turns over now. Thumbs Up

Bad news is that the carb job yesterday hasnt done alot of good, the good news is that it seems to rev now but the bad news is it wont idle so well and now when you rev it the revs stick on. Say, you rev to 3-4 k and loosen the throttle - the revs stay there. Confused

Theres quite a bit of white smoke from the exhausts too, and it also leaks fuel on prime Mad. I reckon the clean up is not enough, i think i may need actual new float needles and not just cleaned ones. What you think?

If not, next step electrics then Thumbs Up

oldbiker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:52 - 02 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

leaking fuel on prime?

could be crap in the float valve,
or the float needle could be worn possible if the bike is say 8 or more years old.
it`s also possible that you may have altered the float height.

carb sticking?

Sounds like the carb cable has got twisted or caught up.

(I`m sure you will get there in the end)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 148 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1