BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Fork Seals

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:58 - 24 Oct 2010    Post subject: Fork Seals Reply with quote

So, I went to take the bike out today and noticed that the right hand fork was leaking. I removed the dust cover and there is oil sitting above the seal. I'm guessing that the fork seal has gone.

I bought the bike (varadero XL125) from a Honda dealer. My question is, as the bike is just over 3 years old and done 4300 miles will they replace the seal under warranty, or is it gonna cost me a small fortune?

Cheers. Thumbs Up

ಠ_ಠ

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 16:16 - 24 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fork seals need replacing now and then, think of them as a consumable.

You could try cleaning the dirt from out of the seal first like shown here which if you're lucky will mean they don't need replacing.

https://www.mxboards.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:14 - 24 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

definately not a warranty job (unless you just bought it recently) as its a consumable/service part.
the seals themselves are cheap enough (think their 9 quid for a pair, fo each fork leg for oem parts)
but the labour will shock you, some places are charging around £100+ to do them!
an easy afternoons work, if you've never done it before,
cheers,
GAZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:24 - 24 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

stirlinggaz wrote:
definately not a warranty job (unless you just bought it recently) as its a consumable/service part.
the seals themselves are cheap enough (think their 9 quid for a pair, fo each fork leg for oem parts)
but the labour will shock you, some places are charging around £100+ to do them!
an easy afternoons work, if you've never done it before,
cheers,
GAZ

I've only had the bike for about 3 weeks, so I was hoping they'd replace it under warranty, only way to find out is to ring them in the morning. Fingers crossed.

@ Joe - I removed the dust cover and gave it a clean, thanks for your help.

Cheers Thumbs Up

ಠ_ಠ

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:34 - 24 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 weeks? then i'd expect them to do it under warranty.
leaking fork seal is an mot failure, so i'd argue the fact that the bike is not fit for purpose?
cheers,
GAZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 17:37 - 24 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've only had it 3 weeks then it's definitely worth bringing it up with the dealer with an aim of getting them to sort it.

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:02 - 24 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, like I said, I'm gonna give them a ring in the morning and get them to sort it out. I won't be happy if they are thinking of charging me for it as I've only had it 3 weeks. As you've rightly said Stirlinggaz, they sold me a bike so it should be sold as "fit for purpose", same as if you were buying anything else.

Luckily the leak isn't major, there are no crazy spurts of oil when I rode it slowly round my road, I even bounced the suspension with the dust cover off. It seems like it's leaked overnight when it's been stationary, so I'm not really sure of what is exactly wrong with the seal.

I'll definitley post back stating what they said and how they went about sorting it out. I won't be fobbed off though, I've had to make a fuss in a few stores before when they try and fob me off. I'll keep you posted.

ಠ_ಠ

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 19:06 - 24 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't go in all guns blazing, play it nice at first and you might just find they sort it.

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:12 - 24 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
Don't go in all guns blazing, play it nice at first and you might just find they sort it.

Oh yeah, I don't plan to make a scene lol. After all they provided excellent customer service when I went to buy the bike, so it's only fair that I give the same amount of respect.

Thanks for your help Thumbs Up Smile Thumbs Up

ಠ_ಠ

neil.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 24 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure it's fork oil and not something like WD40 or ACF50? A lot of people give the stanchions a good covering of this to protect them against corrosion, especially over winter. Perhaps the previous owner did this? I do it and a couple of MOT's ago, the tester pointed out what he thought was oil but was satisfied when I told him it was ACF-50. It'll have that distinct smell to it that fork oil doesn't have. Seems quite a low mileage to have the seals fail already (mine is 5 years old, 32'000 miles and still has the originals), unless the bike has sat outside over winter or the forks are pitted, or maybe the rubber has just perished over that time but seems a bit strange to me.

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:57 - 24 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil. wrote:
Are you sure it's fork oil and not something like WD40 or ACF50? A lot of people give the stanchions a good covering of this to protect them against corrosion, especially over winter. Perhaps the previous owner did this? I do it and a couple of MOT's ago, the tester pointed out what he thought was oil but was satisfied when I told him it was ACF-50. It'll have that distinct smell to it that fork oil doesn't have. Seems quite a low mileage to have the seals fail already (mine is 5 years old, 32'000 miles and still has the originals), unless the bike has sat outside over winter or the forks are pitted, or maybe the rubber has just perished over that time but seems a bit strange to me.

It's definatley oil, it's got "that" smell lol. I've just give it the 35mm film trick and i'll check on it again in the morning. I've wrapped a rag around it too, don't want any oil on my disc or my wheel.

Thanks for the tip though neil, will be helpful over the winter Thumbs Up

ಠ_ಠ

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:17 - 25 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just rang up the Honda dealer and the seal is covered under warranty! Success!

Got the bike booked in for Thursday morning. I gave it the once over today and for some reason after giving the 35mm treatment last night it doesn't seem to be leaking. Just gotta watch it till thursday.

ಠ_ಠ
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 177 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1