Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The ideal commuter?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:54 - 13 Dec 2009    Post subject: The ideal commuter? Reply with quote

My current commuter is definitely starting to show it’s age, with more issues re-occuring. It really needs a decent amount of engine work, which I don’t have the time or money for.

So, I thought, what makes a good commuter?
I’m mostly riding in town, if my journey didn’t include any town work, it might be a bit different of course.

Ease of use – I’ll be riding it twenty minutes after I’ve got out of bed, so I wan’t something that shouldn’t need too much ‘work’.
So 2 strokes that need revving are definitely out. A broad range of torque/power is in, however.
More power throughout the rev-range means less gear changes needed. If I see a gap, I want to be in it as soon as I’ve thought about it.
Smooth power delivery has to be the way forward on this too.

Nimbleness – again, it needs to be able to move to where I want as quickly as I can think about it.

Brakes – good consistent front brakes that can be trusted to perform when a car pulls infront of you.

Wheel sizes – should be a ‘popular’ size to take cheap second hand tyres with good life left for budget miles.

Width – must about to fit through tight spaces between a Bus and a second queue including sports cars and transits.
So, tourers with big panniers are out. As are bikes with two exhausts sticking out either side.
Trail bikes get chucked out too, thanks to their wider bars.

Visibility – doesn’t come amazingly well with most bikes. I want to be able to plaster it with reflective stuff and silly lights.
A loud exhaust isn’t going to hurt, especially for pedestrians.

A reasonable riding position – this is very much in the seat of the beholder, but too leant forward and I find the weight of the helmet gives me some pain in my upper back.
Lighter helmet I would like, but unfortunately the 1kg BMW carbon fibre ones aren’t a great fit for me, never mind the cost.

Ability to carry luggage – I would like to be able to carry quite a lot, but still be in the 'width' confines', don't know of anything that will do this without custom making the boxes.

And the answer... A RXS100, of course!
Err, ok, maybe not Wink: however, if you’ve got some thoughts, feel free to air them... And no cheating, I’m looking at you Marjay!

Ingah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:16 - 13 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds to me like you should consider a Japanese 4-stroke twin with an aftermarket exhaust as it does seem to tick those boxes.

c-m
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:32 - 13 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the forum has spoken before and decided that the GPZ500 is the ultimate commuter.

Over 200miles per tank. 0-60 in less than 4seconds, 125mph top speed. Lock nut valves so cheap to service, comfy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Alexio
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:13 - 13 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

c-m wrote:
I think the forum has spoken before and decided that the GPZ500 is the ultimate commuter.

Over 200miles per tank. 0-60 in less than 4seconds, 125mph top speed. Lock nut valves so cheap to service, comfy.

After having a look, I do agree that various Japanese 4 stroke 500cc twins might make you an extremely happy person.

Kawasaki
Honda
Suzuki

Well, any of those would make me extremely happy anyway.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 03:25 - 13 Dec 2009    Post subject: Re: The ideal commuter? Reply with quote

G wrote:

Ability to carry luggage – I would like to be able to carry quite a lot, but still be in the 'width' confines', don't know of anything that will do this without custom making the boxes.

This makes a deauville spring to mind, as they have built in secure panniers. Lots of old commuters have after market panniers fitted.

Another option, would be to attach one of those wide two helmet top boxes lengthways, to the rear of the bike over the pillion seat.

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:55 - 13 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say a CB500 with a screen, bar muffs, top box and a can. I'd like twin front discs also but don't know if they're available with that.

This thread has actually made me want a commuter 500 twin now. Probably no point as by the time I could afford one it'll be the back end of winter anyway.

The Original Muzza
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:43 - 13 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit. Nothing to see here.

Last edited by The Original Muzza on 13:22 - 13 Dec 2009; edited 1 time in total

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 07:49 - 13 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ingah wrote:
It sounds to me like you should consider a Japanese 4-stroke twin with an aftermarket exhaust as it does seem to tick those boxes.

500cc twins lose out on 'range of power through the revrange' quite a bit.
Pretty much every big twin I've ridden has been a bit jerky low down. I have always fancied a TL1000S, as I can remember marvelling at a review of one when I was 16/17 when they first came out. However, also loses out on the width thing, as well as smoothness.

27cows
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:55 - 13 Dec 2009    Post subject: Re: The ideal commuter? Reply with quote

G wrote:

And the answer... A RXS100, of course!

Only recommended if you have a very high level of skill and the reflexes of a cat Wink

On which basis, probably best to stick to something like a GS500, ER5 or CB500. All of which are great bikes for those who don't mind spending about three times more on running costs than they strictly need to Cool

Mord
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 09:18 - 13 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDEAL COMMUTER BY MORDOKLEJ Laughing

- 4 stroke
- 250cc with more than 20 bhp (125 too slow, 400cc and bigger too poor fuel economy)
- windshield (to cover from wind at motorway speeds)
- no fairings or half faired (just in case you drop it it doesn't cost fortune to repair)
- crash bungs
- heated grips

The bike above will be probably f00k ugly but with great fuel economy, enough speed, cheap to fix.

Dr. DaveJPS
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:33 - 13 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally i'd go with a KTM950 (adventure or sm) but i know you've dismissed them for the wide bars but i have found when filtering they go over the wing mirrors.

aside from that a VFR 750?

boundy
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:49 - 13 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gis a grand and I'll let you have this

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Gallery%20%20A/SUZUKI%20GSX%20750%20%2097%20%201.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hmmmnz
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:59 - 13 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

i reckon my mz500 is the ideal (apart from trying to get parts for it in nz)
but any largish dirt bike/supermoto with a pack rack or panniers would do the trick quite nicely

Thom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 13 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote GS500.

Air cooled engine, nice and reliable, bullet proof engine, cheap as chips no run, parts a plenty, loads of tweeks available should you wnat them (I.e exhaust), will pull away in 5th if you so wish and it will bimble along on idle in 5th no problem too.

I dont see the need for power through the whole rev range hwoever these lil twins will pull all the way to 105.
Previous Bikes: 1990 Honda NSR125 'Rothmans' (The smoking one), 1990 Suzuki GS500e 'Caf? fighter' (The loud one), 1987 Kawasaki GPX400r (The quick one), 1997 XJ600s Diversion (The reliable one), 2000 Kawasaki ER-5 (The spontaneously combustive one)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:30 - 13 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

A VFR750 would be ideal.

Narrower than an IL4
Great weather protection from fairing
Smooth power with torque anywhere you want it
Pretty rapid at the top end too
If serviced, the engine's good pretty much forever
Standard 17" wheel sizes
Just be sure to check the downpipes

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:47 - 13 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experiences of commuting around town, I would say the ER6n is the best commuting machine. I only had one for ~6 hours whilst I was waiting for my Versys to be serviced. But found it to be incredibly willing, both low down and top end. It's very small, light, thin, get's good mpg, you can get them in white so they are quite visible and you can easily enough throw a top box on the back.

The 650cc is that bit more willing than the CB500 as well for when you do need more power. Okay, a fair bit more £££ but I really rate it. The F model might be as good but I haven't used one in town yet (well, at all for that matter)

Duncs
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:49 - 13 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

well seing as they made a big thing out of them and i've seen nothing of them since, what about

...the new ninja 250? or am i being daft?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:50 - 13 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is only one thing that actually fits those requirements and that is a TRX850.

I do have an SV650 in the garage that is for sale if you're interested though G.

instigator
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:56 - 13 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I do have an SV650 in the garage that is for sale if you're interested though G.

Cruel but funny. Laughing

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:00 - 13 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
There is only one thing that actually fits those requirements and that is a TRX850.

Twin exhausts, which makes it no more or less suitable than a VTR/TL/SV or indeed any number of Dukes.

Devils Advocate
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:00 - 13 Dec 2009    Post subject: Re: The ideal commuter? Reply with quote

G wrote:
A broad range of torque/power is in

More power throughout the rev-range

less gear changes needed.

If I see a gap, I want to be in it as soon as I’ve thought about it.

Smooth power delivery

Until you wise up about modern v-twins youre never going to get what you need Very Happy

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:05 - 13 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont have the KTM anymore so its not a sales pitch... but.

KTM 400 EGS

> bars are about 10cm higher than all car wing mirrors but 4x4's and people carriers. about the same amount lower than transit mirrors.

> can shift up to about 65mph

> tyres cost £100 a pair, fitted, for decent ones.

> not fast enough for the wind to be a problem

> plastic fuel tank, and high seat so you dont get cold balls from the tank (plastic)

> a footpeg alongside the genny and clutch cover that gets nice and hot so you dont get cold feet

downsides:

> not fast

> noisey

> results in penis migration syndrome after about 20 miles.
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith

WishayKillie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:36 - 13 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ducati Multistrada: It's very narrow being an air-cooled L-twin plus you have a decent seat height at IIRC 850mm. I'm not sure if it's just panniers it fits or if it could take a top box instead.

Triumph Tiger: Ticks most of the boxes although think the bar width might be a bit wide.

What about an old WD bike like a BSA M20. Nice and narrow, decent power Neutral and you can stick on panniers no problem Thumbs Up

yummy

https://www.cotswold-classics.co.uk/data/bikes/SDC11951.JPG
Wilson123 This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:00 - 13 Dec 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

People,

You also have to bear in mind that if it costs up to about £1500 that is good. Remember that any bike owned by G, whether it be purchased for 100k or 5k will only be worth a maximum of about a grand afterwards.

So no brand new Ninja 250's or anything.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 138 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6