Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Vango Banshee 200

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:47 - 16 Feb 2010    Post subject: Vango Banshee 200 Reply with quote

Anyone have any experience of using one?

I've looked at a few reviews and it's seems to be getting good write ups. It's a Duke of Edinburgh recommended product (I don't know if that is any good though).

I'm attracted to it because of its weight and pack size.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:02 - 16 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does look like a neat little tent. Interested myself.

It's the same material as my spirit 200 which has stood up to the elements very well.

I did have some problems with the ferrules on the poles snapping. They swore black is white there was nothing wrong with them when I complained then changed the pole design on the following years model.

The ones that failed had the pole sections joining with seperate alloy "slugs". The newer ones have the end of the pole itself tapering in and fitting into the next section.

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:05 - 16 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
That does look like a neat little tent. Interested myself.

They seem to have been selling well over the last few years but with the more modern one, rather than pitch inner first, you can pitch the inner and outer skin at once.

Prices vary a bit and on some other forums I've read people getting them for £50 which seems like a steal. Still for £70 it looks decent.

I'm hopefully going to a camping shop this weekend to have a look at an erected one.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:23 - 16 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's basically a copy of the Hilliberg Akto, which is universally acknowledged as a superb tent, although rather on the expensive side.

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:30 - 16 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
It's basically a copy of the Hilliberg Akto, which is universally acknowledged as a superb tent, although rather on the expensive side.

Now that is expensive Surprised

I'm glad you posted in here. If you like the look of it, I think It'll be fine for me Laughing

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:05 - 16 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

OT..kinda

Can you get a protective footprint for that Vango?
Reason i'm asking is some pitches are really rough and tent makers use very thin groundsheets.
My Illanois is getting abit old now, no leaks or tears but looks dated. (snobby Pat?)
I do like the fact i can easily get dressed in it or a poo, has a porch for bags n boots. Weighs 2kg
https://www.gear-zone.co.uk/eshop/Wild-Country-New-Ilanos---SS06.html

Pat-Turtlehttps://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m174/howlingterror_2006/pattheturtle.jpg

Pat
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:45 - 16 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Immensely Large Bits wrote:

Can you get a protective footprint for that Vango?

You can get a blue tarp off ebay for a couple of quid. Then cut it to size.

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:21 - 17 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in the end I went for this tent.

Clicky

The pack size and weight is only a little bit more than the Vango so for £22 (had to get it delivered as it's not in stock anywhere) I'll take a gamble. It comes with aluminium poles and tent pegs too which for the price I thought was pretty amazing.

I read a review of the tent on a BMW GS forum and the guy rated it highly.

I'll be testing it for leakiness with a hosepipe when I get it Laughing If it turns out to be a pile of crap, I'll then go and buy the Vango.

BanditJeff
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:36 - 17 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard good reports about that 1 man tent from Argos.
Personally i cant do small tents, so i just put up with the large packed size and weight of a 4 man.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:08 - 17 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

ms51ves3 wrote:

Clicky

The pack size and weight is only a little bit more than the Vango so for £22 (had to get it delivered as it's not in stock anywhere) I'll take a gamble. It comes with aluminium poles and tent pegs too which for the price I thought was pretty amazing.

Gets good reviews at UKCampSite, I'm tempted to get one myself. It depends on the state of my "bachelor tent", which I put away in the loft about 15 years ago Smile

https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/tents/p/497

[edit] After reading more reviews, I've ordered one. Some good pictures here :-

https://www.stevewaltonsblog.com/search/label/tents
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Last edited by The Shaggy D.A. on 14:52 - 18 Feb 2010; edited 1 time in total

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 13:03 - 17 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Vango Storm 300+ and it's the bees knees. Thumbs Up Plenty of room for me, and my panniers, boots, jacket, and all the rest of the camping gear I take...plus I have two porches.

Though I probably wouldn't be amused if I had to carry it far by hand.

Perfect for the bike or the boot though. Cool

geordie_e
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:23 - 17 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one last year and took it straight back... good tent if you like the feeling of sleeping in a coffin !!

I use a kyham freelander, massive tent but massive pack size too !

This year I have a MSR Mo room3 (bought in the usa last year on holiday)

Its only been up in the living room so far, just waiting for the weather to break to try it out

Cheers
Geordie

ms51ves3 wrote:

Clicky

I read a review of the tent on a BMW GS forum and the guy rated it highly.

I'll be testing it for leakiness with a hosepipe when I get it Laughing If it turns out to be a pile of crap, I'll then go and buy the Vango.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Handsome
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 17 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/acatalog/Coleman_Bedrock_2_Tent.html

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:39 - 17 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

geordie_e wrote:
I bought one last year and took it straight back... good tent if you like the feeling of sleeping in a coffin !!

I'm not bothered, I know it's going to be pretty small but I just need somewhere that will keep me and my bag dry that doesn't weigh a ton and take up loads of room.

This tent will fit on top of my rucksack.

ADAM79 wrote:

Weighs too much and the pack size is massive at 54 x 14 x 14 cm.

Handsome
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:47 - 17 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

ms51ves3 wrote:

Weighs too much.

I was posting it more for the price than weight Chives...

I bought a ' Two Berth ' from Argos last year for a rally, didn't get chance to put it up before hand, got there, unpacked, put it up and got in it as it looked a little small...

My head stretched the back and I had to sleep with my feet in the porch ffs, if it was a ' two berth ' it must have meant two fucking Umpaa Lumpaas, I'm only 5' 8" and I filled it, I had to stash all my gear in a mates porch, went to take it back when I got back and couldn't find the reciept so had to keep it, the only upside to it is it's light so I'll use it on summer rallies, should have bought the three berth as I'm assuming that'll be a one and a half / two berth...

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:59 - 17 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADAM79 wrote:
ms51ves3 wrote:

Weighs too much.

I was posting it more for the price than weight Chives...

But it's nearly twice the price of the Pro Active and the internal size is only a little bigger. Plus it uses fibreglass poles and steel pegs unlike the aluminium the Pro Active uses.

It makes sense if there are 2 people sleeping in it, but in my case, I'll be on my own.

Handsome
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:45 - 17 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH...

See, what I did was just type the name of the tent into the Great Googly Moogly and it bought up one picture the same style that I'd posted, I skipped across your post and saw the 70-100 quid price tag you mentioned and I thought " Hold on, I've got a link to a similar tent for less than that "...

Not realising you'd found the Happy Shopper Decafe version at Argos...

That'll teach me to speed read...Pfffttt...

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:54 - 17 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADAM79 wrote:
That'll teach me to speed read...Pfffttt...

Tut Tut

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:21 - 18 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tent arrived today.

It weighs less than the stated weight of 2.1kg:

https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/ms51ves3/DSCF1483.jpg

The measurements:

https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/ms51ves3/DSCF1468.jpg

https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/ms51ves3/DSCF1471.jpg

And the size of it compared to my (not so small) sleeping bag:

https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/ms51ves3/DSCF1482.jpg

I unpacked it and I'm impressed with it so far. It's pretty easy to pack away back down to it's small size even though you get an important notice on the instructions telling you to remember how you unpacked it.

I'll pitch it at the weekend and do a proper review of it Thumbs Up

Charlie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:54 - 18 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several small tents (well my Dad does) and my biggest problem with them is what do you do with your wet bike gear? Tents without a decent size porch just mean you have to keep your wet jacket and trousers in the main tent. And if it has been really raining then they just stay wet and take up space.

I'd like to have a go with hammocks and using tarp to provide area out of the elements.

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:51 - 18 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie wrote:
I have several small tents (well my Dad does) and my biggest problem with them is what do you do with your wet bike gear?

I just use some Dickies building site waterproofs which consist of a plastic coat and some pants so it's not really an issue as I could just flap them about outside, bring them in the tent and they'd be dry in no time.

There is supposed to be a small porch which is just big enough to cook in so there should be enough room in there for my boots.

Charlie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:43 - 18 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it matters what gear you use. If you have a textile with a waterproof liner then it stays wet for unless properly aired. A light waterproof on the other hand will dry quickly and not talk up room... hmm ideas for my next bike jacket Very Happy

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter

PostPosted: 06:38 - 19 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at that Argos one lastyear when it was up for £15 and was going to get it but the day I went to order it, it was back up at £25 so I went for the Coleman Bedrock 2 instead. I'm glad I did as with my bike kit the Bedrock 2 man tent is still pretty crampt inside, the Pro Action one would be impossible. It's supposed to be a good tent but I think it's a bit more suited to hiking or activities when you having nothing but yourself and one bag.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:39 - 20 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've posted a review up in Show and Tell.

Clicky

2E
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:20 - 20 Feb 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a really really cheap 2 man tent from ASDA once, cost me about £7, took it to Germany on the bike with my brother, we put up that tent for all our gear and a £50 tent to sleep in..

Woke up in the morning to find the inside of the tent soaking (condensation) we were dry and it was fine if you didnt touch the sides/roof...(although it was great fun hitting the roof and getting my brother soaked Laughing )

Checked the cheap tent to find other than a small amount of water pooled around the door (and i mean a small amount) it was dry! Very Happy

I had tested the cheap tent in my garden prior to the trip and slept in it and there was no condensation.

Throw a airbed in it and your set, no worries.. i was impressed. Thumbs Up

Doubt I would fit in that diamond shaped 1 man thing though Laughing

The cheap one is the orange and blue one, the green ones the expensive tent, also the cheap tent just got pegged down in the four corners, no guy ropes at all...

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/essexbikers/2e%20intenational%20adventure/DSCF0742.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 40 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2