Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

GSXR 600 SRAD wont start.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

stoorty
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:58 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: GSXR 600 SRAD wont start. Reply with quote

Hello there,

Im looking for some help with a problem with my bike. It started recently, where i cant get it too start anymore. I took it out one day to work, and when i got home i put the side stand down while it was still in gear which caused it to kill the engine, nothing new there. However, when i put it back into neutral and went to start the bike again i got nothing.

Usually when i press the fob for the alarm it will disarm and then i turn the key and the fuel pump usually kicks in, but now when i do it, im not getting the fuel pump coming to life

I've tried the usual suspects like fuses and kill switches, and i even tried to check out some of the electrics, but they seemed to check out. Bought a brand new battery, removed the alarm/immobiliser but it still wont come to life. I even tried running power straight to the starter and the fuel pump and they both want to go.

Now as this is my first bike, im not too clued up, but i would like to think i aint as daft as a brick either lol. Is there anything anyone can suggest for me to try as its really making me lose interest in my bike, when all i wanna do is get out and play on it!!

Thanks,
James

P.S. Its a 00 model, 600, carb'd, and broke Sad

Tim..
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried bridging the side stand switch? I would also double check the wiring after removing the alarm/immobiliser.

Tim

Last edited by Tim.. on 13:15 - 18 Mar 2010; edited 1 time in total

stoorty
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:13 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a look at the side stand switch, Cleaned it up with some WD40 and even checked it with a continuity tester, which it checked out fine when i pushed the switch in. Tried to jumper it too, but still nothing.

Tim..
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the rest of the bike 'turn on' with the ignition, lights etc?

stoorty
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:21 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, my alarm still beeps and flashes, the dash lights all come on, but i just dont get my fuel pump priming, which was always pumping when i needed to start the bike.

dibbster
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:24 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you get the neutral light coming on when you switch it on?

The side stand switch doesnt control the fuel pump priming it is the bike been in neutral. It sounds like the bike is not recognising been in neutral, I would investigate that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stoorty
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:34 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea neutral light is on, and it stays on. Bike is defo in neutral, i can spin the back wheel freely up on the paddock stands.

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:51 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange. Does sound like a kill switch or cut out of some sort (perhaps the immobiliser). In my experience, those are the usual reasons why bikes don't prime.

It's unlikely, but you may need a new pump?

Liam_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:18 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:
It's unlikely, but you may need a new pump?

The starter wont turn either, unless both pump and starter have gone at the same time which is highly unlikly tbh.

The pump will prime and the starter motor will turn if connected direct to the battery.

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:22 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I even tried running power straight to the starter and the fuel pump and they both want to go.

It's a little unclear here. By want to go do you mean the pump primes and starter turns when you connect them directly to the battery?

Urbanracer: IME, on certain bikes, the starter won't turn before the pump has been primed.

stoorty
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:16 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the confusion, both the starter motor and the fuel pump will prime if connected to the battery directly.

And i have disconnected the alarm/immobiliser unit, and jumpered the correct pins to bypass the immobiliser but the bike still wont prime Thumbs Down

lonner
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:40 - 18 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you checked the fuel pump relay Question

if you can get the pump to run off the battery then check the relay circuit as it may be faulty or have a dirty contact.

hth

stoorty
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:19 - 19 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, i've not checked the coils yet.
How would i go about said task, if anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated!

And heres hoping you win a fiver then mate!

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 11:37 - 19 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, SRAD coils on the 600 are part of the spark plug cap. And there's a plug connector that plugs into the top.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stoorty
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:44 - 19 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea i think they are, do i just check the voltage between the wires on the caps?

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 11:53 - 19 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd have to have a look at a wiring diagram and how many pins are in there. I'd suspect there are probably 3 pins, positive, negative and a trigger.

So you've want to be checking for 12v across the +ve and -ve.

Personally I think you'll find no problem with the coils. If the fuel pump isn't work, I'd be looking more closely around the fuel pump.

On the SRAD (I can't remember on my one) does the fuel pump still whirr if you switch the ignition on with the kill switch off? I think it does.

A weird thing, on the left side of the front fairing, there's an indicator relay (that might incorporate the side stand switch relay as it does on other Suzukis). If that's lose, or fallen off the bike won't start.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 41 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1