Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Sorry, another 'what bike' thread...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

Wozza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:14 - 08 Mar 2010    Post subject: Sorry, another 'what bike' thread... Reply with quote

So I fancy a bit of greenlaning. I also want something I can ride to work on rainy days so the CBR can be kept dry. But as it would be a second bike, I don't want something that requires too much maintenance.

First question - 2 or 4 stroke?
I was thinking 4 stroke but then in ads I keep reading 'oil changed every other ride' - what's that about? Or would they have been proper motocross bikes?

So my requirements are:
- good for greenlanes
- good for road use (gearing etc)
- able to take road tyres on a spare set of wheels
- under £1k ?

I had been thinking of an XR400, does that tick my boxes?

Cheers,
Wozza
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

silky666
Captain Rulebook

PostPosted: 19:52 - 08 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

XR400 with spare set of wheels for under £1k .... Not a chance.
Even by the nirvana like state of G's second hand market, you wont find one for that. Smile
Not one that doesnt require about £600 worth of work to be done.

How many road miles ?:
If its under 20 miles in one hit then any bike will be fine.
But if its more than that, then the 'enduro' focussed green lane bikes (WR/KTM/GG etc) will all give you a) a very sore arse, b) white finger/sore hands, c) head numbingly boring riding along at 75mph on a dual carriageway.

4 or 2 stroke ?:
The 2 strokes will be a real pain on the road. Noisy, smelly and burn plugs like I eat bourbon creams with my tea. They will also be buzzy and headachingly nasty to ride as a proper commute.

What you want is a large cc 4 stroke (WR450/400, XR400, KTM450 etc) ... Much more civilised to ride on the road ... and loads of low down torque and engine braking off road.
The oil changes take minutes, and on the WR and XR you will just need to do them every couple of months or so.
(I suspect the KTM may require them more often) ... But they are very easy and cheap to do.

To summarise: You need a Yamaha WR 400/426/450. Thumbs Up
But you will need to up your budget to £1300 ish.

Gaffa tape is like "the force" - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 19:56 - 08 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can have my XR440R for £1000 Wink

silky666
Captain Rulebook

PostPosted: 19:59 - 08 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparks! wrote:
You can have my XR440R for £1000 Wink

Has it got a second set of wheels and road tyres ? .. That will be another £250 ish. Wink

Gaffa tape is like "the force" - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

Wozza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:51 - 08 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, I'll add the WR to my list. Any older models worth looking out for?

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 22:56 - 08 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd consider a KLR250, get a mint one for about £700. Good enough for everyday road use, good enough to rock some green laning.

Service intervals are massive, only makes about 30bhp.

That or an XR250, something like that.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Imonster
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:02 - 08 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wozza wrote:
Cheers, I'll add the WR to my list. Any older models worth looking out for?

I hate recommending the same model bike as I have in these threads, but a Yamaha TTR250 should do everything you want it to and be within budget.

Then again, I have heard it said that a CRF230 is all you need, so what do I know? Wink

boundy
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:58 - 08 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a CRM250, they've got a lot more punch than the 4 stroke XR/TTR/KLR 250, still have massive service intervals and will sit at 75mph on a motorway with no bother

Imonster
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:22 - 09 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, CRM 250's are hella fun! Really enjoyed having a little blast on my mates one....

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 10:27 - 09 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would depend on your height too, I rode a CRF230 on an off road day, and it was much too small for me. Good bike though, both on and off road.

Gaz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Wozza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:59 - 09 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 5'10". Thanks for the offer Sparks, I did see your thread but I don't have the money yet, I'm on the verge of starting to save!

roryntp
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:43 - 20 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've recently-ish just bought a CRM 250 to use as an enduro/green laner/winter bike to save on using my CBR in the shitty weather and by all accounts it seems to have been the best choice i could have made.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:29 - 20 Mar 2010    Post subject: Re: Sorry, another 'what bike' thread... Reply with quote

Wozza wrote:
I was thinking 4 stroke but then in ads I keep reading 'oil changed every other ride' - what's that about? Or would they have been proper motocross bikes?

The proper competition enduro and motocross bikes have this sort of service interval specified.
The XR is rather of the spec of these (heavier and less powerful), so isn't as bad. However, there's some question how often you need to do it if you aren't riding to a competition level. Further, you can get extended oil tanks.

You may be able to get a DRZ400e if you're lucky for this price - they offer a bit more power and a little more weight than the xr. A DR600 is also worth considering (the 650 weighs more, not sure I'd go over the 600 which doesn't weigh much more than the 400.)

Oh and I'm just patient Silky - think the last bike I bought I took about 6 weeks to find the right deal Smile. Also, I presumed from his initial post that he didn't want to get the spare wheels in with the £1k - and finding an XR for £1k should be doable even with the buoyant market I'd say.

If you want decently light weight and designed-for-road service interval listings, then the CRM is a good choice.

Grendel
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:14 - 26 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the thread hi-jack Wozza but didn’t see the point in starting a similar thread.

Basically could you get a small supermoto for similar price?

Reason being I have 600 Transalp which I kitted up to be able for green laning but never go off road and due to a shoulder injury find a bit heavy so looking for a bike with similar upright riding position but more road based and lighter?

Or is the price higher as soon as you add supermoto to the bikes name?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:26 - 26 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

But surely if you get a lighter bike you might actually want to ride off road Smile - thus would want enduro sized wheels?

I've seen bodged XR400s with two sets of wheels (SM and enduro) advertised for under £1300. My DR600 with supermoto wheels cost me £630 or so, but did need a bit of work.

Generally 'supermoto' does mean more expensive as it tends to have rarer parts/parts bought by people with more disposable income.

Grendel
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:43 - 26 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

So supermoto are not really suitable as a all year comutter bike?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:27 - 26 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what commuting and what bike.
If it's got lots of motorways or fast dual carriage ways, I'd avoid.

I tend to filter through moderately tight spaces – so the wider bars on a trail style bike mean I physically can’t fit through some spaces which narrower sports bike bars will. Also, I find sports bike bars tend to be just below most mirrors, which trail bike bars tend to be similar height to MPVs, 4x4s and smaller vans.

Grendel
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:15 - 26 Mar 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to commute around 20 miles a day thought town.
I know what you mean about filtering and wide handle bars. I have the Dakar wide bars and raisers fitted on the Transalp and always get other bikes flying through gaps I know I can’t get through without taking bits of car with me.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 37 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1