Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Drive train sprocket carrier worn?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Cigaro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 11 Apr 2010    Post subject: Drive train sprocket carrier worn? Reply with quote

Hi all,

took the GN for its MOT today

One of the things my bike failed the MOT on was this:

"DRIVE CHAIN SPROCKET CARRIER WORN TO EXCESS (6.2.1e)

The guy at the bike shop says it needs to be repacked and adjusted. Is there a seperate bearing in the sprocket carrier then? What do I do?

Also both rear shocks are inneffective, is there anything that can be done to repair them? New ones ar eonly £50 but I'm a bit broke right now...

cheers.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:45 - 11 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sprocket carriers don't wear out what's he saying is wrong with it exactly?

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

serlant
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:55 - 11 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

cush drive possibly? if its that and you can't get a new one you might be able to pack it with slices of inner tube to sort it till you can get a new one.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:01 - 11 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sprocket carrier has a separate bearing inside it. Very little movement but I have had one fail on a cbr125.

Best bet is taking the chain and rear wheel off. The sprocket and carrier will fall out. Just check the cush drive rubbers. If they are fine, check the bearing inside the carrier.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Cigaro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 11 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, he mentioned cush drive rubbers but when he mentioned repacking i switched off and assumed he was on about a bearing.

So repacking the rubbers should be alright?

I'll check for play anyway, do I just see if the sprocket moves slightly with the wheel in place and spindle on?

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:34 - 11 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is the cush driver rubbers get them replaced, i was told mine were shagged months ago and i just ignored it, i strongly suspect it was their deterioration that caused the catastophic failure of the rear hub coming out, and the sprocket carrier smacking into the swingarm, locking the wheel at 40 Sad

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:42 - 11 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rear sprocket should have a little play in it to allow for shocks in the gearbox to prevent loosing traction and damage to chain etc.

MOT tester probably just shook the sprocket and thought it moved too much.

Just take the wheel off. Not a big job and have a look at the rubber. New rubbers are only a few quid off wemoto or ebay.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Cigaro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:08 - 13 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the rubbers look a bit buggered, but the bearing has LOADS of play in.

Looks like I'm going to have to replace it.

Thanks for the help all.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:45 - 14 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the bearing from a bearing shop, should be loads cheaper. Take the whole carrier down there and get them to match it. If you are too tight/skint to buy cush rubbers just pack them out with strips of inner-tube rubber.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Cigaro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:18 - 14 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to sort out some new rear shocks, a cush drive rubber and a new bearing for £70 all in, which I didn't think was too bad.

My friends and family all think I'm mental for keep throwing money at this old jalopy Laughing

Cigaro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:24 - 14 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: to change it do I just remove the dust seal and circlip, take the inner out and tap it out like a wheel bearing on a car?

Cheers Very Happy

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:47 - 14 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought it was a sealed bearing so just get a punch and tap the outer race either side and it should come out.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years, 17 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1