Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What's wrong with cheap helmets?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

TCGS
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:23 - 01 May 2010    Post subject: What's wrong with cheap helmets? Reply with quote

So I've been looking around.

Last time I bought a £30 of Ebay. Whenever I tell anyone this they cringe.

Why? I mean, the £19.99 helmets sold by GhostBikes for example, seem to meet the same safety as the £400 from GhostBikes

So, what am I missing?

FYI

GhostBikes are doing this offer ATM

https://www.ghostbikes.com/products/1224-oneal-honolulu-motorcycle-helmet.html

O'Neal helmet for £35 Smile

I didn't like the shape...

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 10:29 - 01 May 2010    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with cheap helmets? Reply with quote

TCGS wrote:

So, what am I missing?

Some people equate money spent with how good a helmet will be. So they firmly believe that an expensive lid will be better than a cheap one, seemingly regardless of other considerations, like fit.

More expensive helmets are often 'nicer' - a bit lighter, better vents, removable lining... but the bottom line is that the best helmet for you is the one that fits you the best.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:32 - 01 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

They all should meet the min safety regs.

The difference usually is the shells, in that cheaper helmets have a tendency to use one universal big shell, and reduce the internal size by sticking padding and pipe lag material on the inside.

Nicky Jano (where is she these days) for example has a fairly small head but wore a cheap helmet and it looked enormous on her head.

My shakr RSR2 has very little internal padding and I've been to a shop and seen the small shark helmets and they really do have a smaller shell rather than a big shell filled out with padding.

Note the padding sort of affects the fit btw.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ed Case
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:09 - 01 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 'Box' helmet six months ago brand new £50. Meets the "Euro" (bastards) standard, best fitting helmet I've ever had, I'd certainly buy another.

jimspeed
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:20 - 01 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes even the cheapo helmets should meet the min standards i think the main differances are in the quality of the extra's like air vents and noise etc.
i just bought a £25 BOX helmet from george whites sale, to use for travelling to and from work and it fits nicely and seems good quality. but i also bought an £85 NOLAN at the same time for non work rides and the differance is in the weight and stuff like sunvisor and a clip for the intercom to go thru the shell..
in short as long as it fits you correctly and has the correct markings to be legal it will be ok
Hyosung cruise 125(passed test on, sold) Kawasaki el 252 (better than expected but sold on) Kawasaki GPZ500S first "big"bike.(sold) ZZR600 E5..Z750 2007,ER5, currently on a 2008 Enfield bullet electra x and loving it..
,"Alpha-9: Is there any correlation between dyno rod and dyno kits?"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tsmith
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:27 - 01 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too buy cheaper helmets. There is absolutely nothing wrong with them. As you say, they meet the same standards as helmets costing ten times as much.

Unfortunately image is a big thing with motorcycling and some people pay a fortune for their matching branded equipment.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:31 - 01 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomsmith wrote:
I too buy cheaper helmets. There is absolutely nothing wrong with them. As you say, they meet the same standards as helmets costing ten times as much.

Unfortunately image is a big thing with motorcycling and some people pay a fortune for their matching branded equipment.

Weight it the biggie, me Nitro weighs about 1.8 kilos there abouts, my shark just over a kilo, might not be much but if you are touring (like I do) that 0.8kilos feels a lot after the end of a day riding.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 11:58 - 01 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no reason that helmets need to be expensive, they are only a plastic shell, with polystyrene to absorb energy.

Arguably, it makes more sense to have a cheap lid and replace it more frequently, as each time you take it on and off, you compress the polystyrene and over time it becomes a looser fit.

However, more expensive lids tend to have better vents and visors, which is worth it in my opinion.

I'm a fan of second hand lids.

The way I see it, if it's not marked, its not damaged, although strictly speaker, the previous owner is going to have stretched the polystyrene to the shape of their head, so it may be a looser fit than a new one.

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:01 - 01 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each to their own but next time I throw my head at the road again it will be with the £250 Shoei. Might cost more but it fits well, is light and does what its supposed to, save your life.
I don't have a problem with £30 lids, I just don't have a £30 head.

OGR

T0MMY
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 01 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an RST helmet I got for £30 which actually scored better in the SHARP tests than my previous £200 Arai.

As has been said by just about everyone though, the difference is in the quality of the fittings rather than the safety. The Arai was a lot more plush inside and had a much better visor lock that allowed it to be open slightly to vent which I really miss. To be honest though, given I could have 7 RSTs for the price of that Arai it's a no brainer.

27cows
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:15 - 01 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing wrong with cheap lids, but they probably are a false economy. Visors tend to scratch more easily, the lining doesn't last as long and the padding often flattens quite quickly so the lid no longer fits like it should.

But surviving an accident is 97% luck, 3% gear.

T0MMY
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:17 - 01 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

...but that all encourages you to replace it more frequently which is probably a good thing.

I know when I have a mega expensive lid I'm tempted to keep it a little longer than I know I really should.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:30 - 01 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Often with the cheaper helmets I find the fit rather "lumpy", rather than fitting all over. Like sitting on pile of over stuffed cushions rather than a bean bag.

Quality of fittings definitely changes.

That all said it probably rapidly comes to diminishing returns. Not sure the quality, fit and protection of a bottom of the range Shoei is any worse than a top of the range one.

All the best

Keith

Seb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:10 - 01 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weight is another (admitedly rather inconsistent) factor as well, pick up a budget 30 quid lid, then pick up something like a Shark RSR2 Carbon. The difference side by side is rather shocking Smile

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:29 - 01 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use this...

https://www.2wheeljunkie.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=24309

Yes its DAMN cheap, i spent more on the tinted visor for it Laughing Laughing

Its only a runaround 125 job anyway

cyberglass
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 01 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your looking at ghost bikes and are local to preston i recommend going in and having a look and trying a few on. They have a huge selection in store all reasonable priced from there own £20 brand to £300+ Arai lids.

Have just got a some leather trousers from there for 40 and a set of boots for 50. Thumbs Up

Deffo recommended Mr. Green

Spit-Fire
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:27 - 01 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats wrong with them?

well they don't have an aria badge on the front which is worth its weight in gold to some Rolling Eyes Laughing .

i know a gent that has recently spent £700 on a lid....
i informed him that was a excessive amount to spent on a lid.... he reply "i know, but it fits so snug".

i doubt you have to spend the that much to get a good fitting lid but each to there own,
my agv and carbon lid fit perfect and cost less combined

i guess brand just means a lot to some, not just in helmets but every thing....

JP7
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:38 - 01 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit I'm not a brand snob, when I was buying my new helmet last summer I went into the store intending to try loads on and buy whatever fitted me the best. A well-fitting £30 helmet is arguably safer than an ill-fitting £500 Arai.

It so happened that the Arai Viper GT fitted me better than anything else in the shop, so that's what I came out with. £300 lighter too though...

ttr
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 02:44 - 02 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

my first lid was a nitro. Lasted about 1.5 years, got wet on the inside, and ALL of the lining (polysyrene bits too) fell out when I tried to take the padding out to dry, haha.

second was an x-lite, generally great helmet, visor got too battered in general use after less than a year.

third was a kbc, year so far without any complaints whatsoever!

I think cheap is a bit hit and miss tbh. I wouldn't pay over £150 for a bash hat though I don't reckon.

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:08 - 02 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid nearly £200 for my AGV lid in a Hein Gericke sale some years ago, and in the last few weeks paid £60 for a Duchinni lid...
I can honestly say that I didn't realise how much the fit of the AGV lid had changed over the years, because comparing the fit to the new lid, the AGV was probably getting dangerously loose.

The new cheaper lid immediately feels better quality, a better fit and lighter than the old AGV - and I'm guessing some of that is due to the development in technology etc during the intervening 4-5 years.

I'd be the first to admit that I originally wanted the AGV lid purely because of the marketing relating to Valentino Rossi - and I guess I'm lucky that I have an AGV shaped head. But after using this Duchinni lid for the last few weeks, I'd have no problem getting another budget helmet as long as the fit and safety specs are up to it! Thumbs Up

Ichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:17 - 02 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
I'm a fan of second hand lids.

I've brought second hand in the past and completely failed. One AGV looked absolutely perfect but was 12 years old.

Now I just tend to search for new, last year, models which are reduced.

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:32 - 02 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought myself this - https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Spada-RP750-Red-FANGORN-Motorcycle-Motorbike-Helmet-XL-/190388163644?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Motorcycle_Helmets&hash=item2c5404d43c about 9 months ago now, and it's been one of the best lids I've used. Quiet at high speed, fits really nice and doesn't make my neck ache after a long ride.

It's easily as good as the £300 AGV I had before it. Dunno whether it would be any worse in a crash, as fortunately I haven't dropped either of them, but it should be just as safe, seeing as they all have to pass a minimum saftey test.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 08:41 - 02 May 2010    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with cheap helmets? Reply with quote

TCGS wrote:

Why? I mean, the £19.99 helmets sold by GhostBikes for example, seem to meet the same safety as the £400 from GhostBikes

A cheese sandwhich meets the basic needs for CE armour in jackets, that doesn't mean it's as good as a £100 piece of armour.

However, I'd say fit is all important, so a £20 helmet that fits is much better than a £400 that doesn't.

So I'd say you are stupid for ordering a helmet online without trying it on, rather than going for the cheap one.

There's other factors like weight too.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:16 - 02 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomsmith wrote:

Careful here - they meet the same standards but that doesn't mean they perform the same. It may be that a 400 quid Arai will massively outperform the standard's testing but the 40 quid cheapy will only just scrape through. If this is indeed the case, which would you rather be wearing when you actually come to call on it to save your noggin?

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:51 - 02 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

Careful here - they meet the same standards but that doesn't mean they perform the same. It may be that a 400 quid Arai will massively outperform the standard's testing but the 40 quid cheapy will only just scrape through. If this is indeed the case, which would you rather be wearing when you actually come to call on it to save your noggin?

At the speed it matters, it no longer matters, in that your head will be fine but your body will be all mushed up so this is a moot point.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 14 years ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2