BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brake Pads

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

imabikr
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:10 - 29 Apr 2010    Post subject: Brake Pads Reply with quote

I got a nasty shock today when i found out my pads were warn through.. i know, i know i should have checked them, but i've only done 2500miles since i bought it and it had apparently just had a service!!!

anyhoo, canny ride it till i get new pads and was up for a run this weekend. But i cant seem to find anywhere that i can just walk into and just buy them off the shelf, or online that will deliver by saturday.

Any ideas of where to try (except the dealers as they're likely to cost £££)

btw, im looking for EBC FA188HH or the ferodo equivilant not decided yet.

Damon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:15 - 29 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you may have to call up a few dealers if you need it by saturday. If not, wemoto.co.uk usually delivers within a few days. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

imabikr
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:18 - 29 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damon wrote:
I think you may have to call up a few dealers if you need it by saturday. If not, wemoto.co.uk usually delivers within a few days. Thumbs Up

I Guess need is a bit strong, really want is better Twisted Evil

Paxovasa
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:25 - 29 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brake pads from dealers are not stupidly priced, you may pay a couple of pound more than you can buy them for online. But then online companys will charge you P&P.

Damon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:28 - 29 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paxovasa wrote:
Brake pads from dealers are not stupidly priced, you may pay a couple of pound more than you can buy them for online. But then online companys will charge you P&P.

You can say that again... Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:32 - 29 Apr 2010    Post subject: Re: Brake Pads Reply with quote

PmSonic wrote:
canny ride it till i get new pads

Does not compute.

hellkat
disc scorer extraordinaire
Embarassed

imabikr
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:53 - 29 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, choice is

EBC FA188HH or Ferodo FDB873ST SinterGrip. Any one had any experience of either on a heavier sports bike? both about the same price from m&p, or a call to the dealers as some have suggested.

Damon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:00 - 29 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always used goldfren on my bikes and they have been fine. For the price I really rate them.

Got them on the R1 at the moment and so far they have been great (had them for around 2,500 miles). I'm taking it on track in a few weeks so that will be the real test. Saying that however, I ran the RS 125 on track in the superteens with goldfren pads with no troubles what so ever. Thumbs Up

Paxovasa
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:10 - 29 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damon wrote:
Paxovasa wrote:

You can say that again... Laughing

For once I didn't Wink

evoboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:24 - 29 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

PmSonic wrote:
Ok, choice is

EBC FA188HH or Ferodo FDB873ST SinterGrip. Any one had any experience of either on a heavier sports bike? both about the same price from m&p, or a call to the dealers as some have suggested.

Either will be fine.

IMO, youll struggle to get 'epic' brakes from the 6pots. (Unless the 'busa runs a different M/C to the Kwakers and the brakes actualy feel good? then ill retract my statement! Very Happy )

APT Motorcycles

Damon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:29 - 29 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

evoboy wrote:
PmSonic wrote:
Ok, choice is

Either will be fine.

IMO, youll struggle to get 'epic' brakes from the 6pots. (Unless the 'busa runs a different M/C to the Kwakers and the brakes actualy feel good? then ill retract my statement! Very Happy )

I think they're known for having fairly poor brakes too. the 4 pot calipers are the way forward

imabikr
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:36 - 29 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh, they dont seem as good as my tt brakes but i just put that down to the huge weight difference. If they're about the same i'll just give the dealers a bell tomorrow and see if they've got any in stock. Cheers folks!

c-m
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:33 - 30 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

why are four pots better then six pots?

Does that mean 2 pots are better than 4? lol

Seriously just wondering as I have 6 pots on my zx9
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Damon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:14 - 30 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 Pot calipers have a greater pad contact area than 4 pot calipers but tend to offer less feel in my opinon. The have always seemed disconnected from the bike and slightly wooden.

I find 4 pots offer much more bite and feel ( could just be down to the MC) and thats the important bit when you are braking hard from a ton plus. Thumbs Up

Edit: nope 2 pots aren't better than 4. They tend to be just that bit too small for front brakes on anything 125cc plus.

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:29 - 30 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had similar with a pair of EBC's on the rear, went so quickly (within a week or two) that i dident check if they were worn because pads woudlent ware out that quick (seeing as i wasent dispatching)...

Shocked by EBC... Go for the Ferodo's work well on my 6 pots, stoppies and all that jazz...

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:51 - 30 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

evoboy wrote:

By most accounts they seem to have managed to make the 'busa 6 pots worse than the ZX12R (although both suffer badly from the calipers).

All the best

Keith

imabikr
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:13 - 30 Apr 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

managed to get a pair of EBC FA188HH from Dunfermline motorcycles so all's cool now.. i can get out on my run!! Mr. Green

cheers for the help guys Thumbs Up

Noxious89123
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:23 - 02 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

EBC... Sick

Been there, done that. I'll stick with Nissin's own kthxbai.

Dazbo666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:34 - 02 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past (on the GPZ) I tried EBC and even some budget Kyoto pads with no problems.

I've recently fitted some Armstrong pads to the Bandit, but I'm still not 100% convinced with them.

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:25 - 02 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree with Damon about Goldfren.

I bought a set for the GSXR and I've covered about 1.5K on them so far with absolutely no problems at all, certainly just as much feel as more expensive pads that I've used. Would definitely recommend, Thumbs Up.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:44 - 02 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the pads had worn through wouldn't the discs need changing Shocked Shocked
seems like false economy to me

imabikr
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:50 - 03 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
if the pads had worn through wouldn't the discs need changing Shocked Shocked
seems like false economy to me

Discs are ok, but only because i stopped riding as soon as i noticed the problem. £55 for new pads or £££ for discs and pads.. think i'll hold off on getting discs till i need them Mr. Green

Fitted them on Saturday and i've got to be honest i think they're great. Done almost 500miles already and they're bedding in nicely. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 332 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1