Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Go-Kart Pics...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 09:58 - 15 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dremel - the only thing it can't do is hammer (just like the advert says. Laughing )

How are you lining the axel up, simple measurement from the end of the frame on both sides?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hall3_x
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:51 - 15 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korn wrote:

That joint pictured is going to be taking the weight of the engine, with the force pushing down on it from the angle it sits at in the pic. If it was sideways force then yeah I agree it would be pretty weak (the bracket is 2mm steel) but since the upright sits right on the crossbeam I can't see any way to make it stronger. Can you explain?

hm....it'll be quite hard to explain it juz with keyboard and mouse. I'll need a pen and paper to draw the whole thing out for ya and explain. I believe you would like to have a more max. alowable load with your curren materials.

Maybe i'll try to draw the things out with my Paintshop Pro 7 later on tonight, to show you what are the forces/moments acting on the structure with the engine on it. And how can you enforce it.

By the way, 2mm steel plate, hm....i gonna check out the strength of it and the after-weilding strength of a steel-steel joint.

Before that, can you give me the weight of the engine and the hollow-section member's size(the code if you have it)? So that i can check out their max. tension/compression strength and such.

Btw, keep the hard work on, i'm enjoying all these~!
=)

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 13:35 - 15 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hex wrote:
How are you lining the axel up, simple measurement from the end of the frame on both sides?

Yep, then when it comes time to mount the front wheels we double check that the distances are the same.

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 14:26 - 15 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korn wrote:
Hex wrote:

Yep, then when it comes time to mount the front wheels we double check that the distances are the same.

Fair enough - just remember the rule, measure twice cut once (or in this case drill the hole once Very Happy ).

Your really cracking along with it ain't you, whats your estimated finish date?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 15:49 - 15 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pah.

Guess once, measure never and do it again if it screws up Very Happy

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 17:37 - 15 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm, I don't want to say gav cos we'll blatently miss it... Let's just say "when it's done". Might even be this year Wink

Too right on the measuring though, it took me a good hour to mark and drill the axle mounts - just 'cos I knew how long they would take to remake if I fucked up (been there, done that Embarassed).

hall3_x
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:42 - 15 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korn wrote:
Too right on the measuring though, it took me a good hour to mark and drill the axle mounts - just 'cos I knew how long they would take to remake if I fucked up (been there, done that Embarassed).

HEhe.....i'm expert on this one.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

It took me 1 whole day(10~12 hrs) to finished up the arch structure i posted and the structure only have a max. of 1mm defection comparing to it's original drawing.

Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 00:42 - 16 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight's progress:

https://www.kornel.com/pics/Gokart/Mounting%20the%20axle/

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter

PostPosted: 03:18 - 16 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's fun reading these, best posts in ages! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hall3_x
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 06:46 - 16 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix wrote:
It's fun reading these, best posts in ages! Very Happy

totally agree on it mate ~!

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 11:28 - 16 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was going to ask where you putting the radiator etc - then scrolled down some more. Smile

Hows the radiator sitting so far out on the side going to fit with any plastics your planning on getting?

Just another thought, where the axel bearings ar is it normal for them to be on top so the frame is hanging from them? Just for some reason I pictured the frame sitting on top of the axel if you get what I mean? Though I do admit I have no knowledge about these things as I've never looked at making one. - Though I see if I ever get a place with a garage..... Very Happy

coming along in leaps and bounds though, I mean there can't be that much to do before you have a running cart.

andrew
Mister Road Rage

PostPosted: 11:29 - 16 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should put some gold mesh on that rad to *protect* it from stuff on the road. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter

PostPosted: 12:15 - 16 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gav the way it's done now the bearings and mounting bolts are gonna be supporting the entire weight of the Kart, so maybe going underneath woulda been better as the frame would be supporting the weight rather than the bearing bolts. But their downpipes are in the way at the moment so that's the only place to mount it.

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 12:20 - 16 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if theres anything I can help with with my abilty to borrow aerospace materials and machinery. Very Happy

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter

PostPosted: 12:22 - 16 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll ask for them...a Jet engine? Laughing

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 12:30 - 16 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix wrote:
Gav the way it's done now the bearings and mounting bolts are gonna be supporting the entire weight of the Kart, so maybe going underneath woulda been better as the frame would be supporting the weight rather than the bearing bolts.

That was my understanding and thinking, but if the downpipes where the problem then I guess it will have to be sorted out in "cart mark II". Laughing

One thing, are you just now going to stick an end can on the pipe or what for the exhaust?

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 12:34 - 16 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'll ask for them...a Jet engine?

Is that a boeing, airbus or a rolls royce?

andrew
Mister Road Rage

PostPosted: 12:35 - 16 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didnt think Airbus made their own engines? Learn something new every day.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:40 - 16 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<<<NERD ALERT

Airbus don't make their own engines, neither do boeing. They either use General Electric or Rolls Royce engines.

Military jets use RR or GE engines too apart from the Typhoon which uses Turbo Union engines (an international conglomerate) along with the Tornado.

Some US miltary jets use another make, but I forget what they are called off hand.

<<<<Nerd Alert end!
Phew Very Happy

Zimma
Wheelie Junkie

PostPosted: 12:41 - 16 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hex wrote:
One thing, are you just now going to stick an end can on the pipe or what for the exhaust?

We have the 'Flame for it... But we're probably gonna go with straight through, unless the venue we take it to asks for it to be silenced, in which case we can just stick the flame onto the end of the pipe with 3 simple bolts. Very Happy

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 12:45 - 16 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
apart from the Typhoon which uses Turbo Union engines (an international conglomerate) along with the Tornado.

The EJ200 engine, though there are lots of updates been done on this engine anyway, there are thoughts of different engines to use after an incident resulting in the loss of a EF2000 plane!

Not a nerd just work on this rubbish.

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 12:45 - 16 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well what we make is the actuation systems. All the cylinders and ramrods etc etc. What I should of said is that we supply parts to all these companies.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:50 - 16 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hex,
I dodn't think they were called EF2000 any more?

It can't be as bad as the version of the Rolls-Royce Olympus engine in the TSR-2. The main compressor drive shaft reached its resonant frequency when pushed to 98% thrust, meaning that it forcibly vibrated its way out of the engine Surprised

Hmm, rolls-royce olympus powered Go Kart? Laughing

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:52 - 16 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be a bit worried aabout the bearing holders taking the whole weight of the cart and driver - surely they're gonna distort and the bearing will slide out? Confused Maybe in hindsight those thicker ones would have been better Question

but some mighty good progress going on Very Happy

Hex
Party Boy

PostPosted: 12:56 - 16 Oct 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Hex,
I dodn't think they were called EF2000 any more?

Yeah the plane is officially called Typhoon in this country, for some reason the Germans had a problem with that (something to do with the fact the old typhoon used to kick the poo out of them in the war Laughing ).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 199 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8