Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

It's funny being a noob!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 25 May 2010    Post subject: It's funny being a noob! Reply with quote

Okay so I'm not a true noob to riding or being on BCF, but am a noob to doing my own work on the bike. Mainly because it's my only form of transport and I can't afford to make a mistake and not have it running.

Anyway, due to a buckled rear wheel I had to remove it to get it to the shop to be repaired. It's got a rear brake caliper on it and I wasn't sure how to get it off to remove the wheel. I went through the online manual 3 times and watched about 4-5 different YouTube videos, but still didn't really get whether I had to drain the brake fluid, prise the brake pads apart or what!
Eventually I just tried removing the rear wheel spindle and hey presto the wheel and brake disc just dropped out!! Shocked Embarassed Laughing

So I'm assuming when I eventually get the wheel back I can just slot it straight back in again and off I go? Or should I really be greasing the spindle etc, etc whilst the wheel is out?

Thumbs Up
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 13:43 - 25 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whack a screwdriver in between the pads and lever them apart a bit to make getting the wheel back in easier.

I'd clean all the wheel spacers and spindle while they're out. If the bearings have any play in them it would be worth changing them. I'd grease the spindle before putting it back in, don't know if you're supposed to, but I do it.

And where I say 'Whack a screwdriver in...' I don't mean literally, just put one between the pads, not smack one in with a hammer.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:55 - 25 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should remove the calliper/s.
It is much easier to refit a calliper to a fitted wheel than to try to align the pads and wheel and spindle.
Removal of the wheel is much easier too.
There is enough freedom in the hose to do this without disconnecting the hose.

Be careful when prying the pads back using a screw driver. You can easily damage the disc through scoring or cracking or warping.
This can be done easier when the wheel is removed, clean the pistons and protective gator/boots refit the calliper (temporarily) and pry back the pads before putting it all back.

Tim..
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 25 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont get any grease on that disc mind. Is good practice to not even touch the contact surface.

Tim

keyser soze
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:15 - 25 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont forget when you have put your wheel back on and everything looks great and all tightened up as it should be, pump the brake to get the pads back to where they are ment to be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Grimnir
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:36 - 25 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Support the brake caliper while the wheel is out or you could possibly risk damage to the brake hose / fittings. Depending on how much pipe there is, either:
sit it on the swing arm
cable tie it somewhere (probably more applicable to front calipers)
loosley bolt it back in place - should stop you losing the bolts Wink There *may* be enough slack so that you don't need to undo the brake to get the wheel back in - just remember to torque everything properly
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Damon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:43 - 26 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm suprised no-one has mentioned this yet. When using anything to pry the pads back make sure your brake reservoir (the container that holds the fluid above your brake lever) is open. i.e lid is off. Don't do this and it doens't matter if your mum is hercules, you are never going to get those pads back Thumbs Up

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:46 - 26 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damon wrote:
I'm suprised no-one has mentioned this yet. When using anything to pry the pads back make sure your brake reservoir (the container that holds the fluid above your brake lever) is open. i.e lid is off. Don't do this and it doens't matter if your mum is hercules, you are never going to get those pads back Thumbs Up

I AM THE SON OF HERCULES - FUCK YEAH!!!

I have never taken my lid off to do the Blade.

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:25 - 26 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minty wrote:
Damon wrote:

I AM THE SON OF HERCULES - FUCK YEAH!!!

I have never taken my lid off to do the Blade.

Like wise, never taken the lid off to do my CBR...

I have piston shaped indentations on my fingers afterwards though Thumbs Up .

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:52 - 26 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimnir wrote:
Support the brake caliper while the wheel is out... loosley bolt it back in place - should stop you losing the bolts Wink

well this is what suprised me, I was looking everwhere for the bolts to undo the caliper - in the end I just took the wheel off and the caliper came loose with it. It seems on my bike the caliper isn't bolted or held tightly to the swing arm at all, it just slots onto a bracket!
I've currently got it resting on the swing arm. Thumbs Up
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).

Grimnir
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:18 - 26 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I didn't know what bike it was or the brake mounting method. Is it not on a bracket / spacer - held in place when the spindle is fitted?
Post a picture?

Paxovasa
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:22 - 26 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damon wrote:

I have never needed to open the reservoir.

I think you need to go to the gym Laughing

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:05 - 26 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reservoir has a hole in it to let air in and out. The rubber seal stops the fluid from escaping, so open or not makes no difference unless the air hole is blocked.

I always drop the back wheel out with the caliper still in place. The weight of the wheel pulls it out and keeps it straight. Leaving the caliper in place also stops it dangling on the brake hose and knackering it. I remove the caliper before refitting the wheel as lifting the wheel up and trying to align it to the caliper and spindle can be a pain.

If you need to push the pistons back to get the caliper back on, either the disc is worn and has a slight lip on the end, or the pistons aren't moving freely and they and their seals need a clean.

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:42 - 26 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paxovasa wrote:
Damon wrote:

I have never needed to open the reservoir.

He's a personal trainer Neutral

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:02 - 26 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimnir wrote:
Ah, I didn't know what bike it was or the brake mounting method. Is it not on a bracket / spacer - held in place when the spindle is fitted?
Post a picture?

Yeah it's held on with the spindle... It's an SLR650. Thumbs Up

(Ignore the white arrow, that was from ages ago).

Paxovasa
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:38 - 26 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minty wrote:

He's a personal trainer Neutral

Maybe he should move on to fitter people and use bigger weights Wink

Damon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:38 - 26 May 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paxovasa wrote:

Lol as minty said I am a personal trainer Mr. Green

I have always assumed you have to loosen off the lid to move the pads at all. My mistake Dance!

You learn something new every day
Grosvenor This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 331 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1