Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Adventure Bikes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

AL-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:51 - 02 Jun 2010    Post subject: Adventure Bikes Reply with quote

Anybody here have one or recommend any good ones.

The BMW's are appealing to me, most notably the 800gs, but seem to be holding there value pretty well second hand, where as I am after something on a budget of 4-5k max!

I am open to suggestions. The bike will be used 90% of the time two up and touring the UK, Europe and eventually further a field Cool

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:56 - 02 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you'll be sticking to the road?

Probably something like a VFR or a varadero the big 1000cc one

If you really want to hit thr rough stuff a BMW F850GSPD might be a good choice, on the rough stuff is requires a very good rider though due to the immense weight. Tiffany has taken hers everywhere.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:49 - 02 Jun 2010    Post subject: Re: Adventure Bikes Reply with quote

Everything I've read suggests that if you want to get decently dirty, the 950/990 adventure is a much better bet - sad because I quite liked the idea of the BMW.

As Itchy suggests, if you're sticking to roads, I wouldn't spend the extra on a model with some dirt bias.

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:35 - 02 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking into the F800GS, but one thing that worries me is this:

Clicky

Neutral

Also, they seem to leak from the valve cover gasket.

Clicky

Shame really.

AL-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:24 - 02 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is worrying Confused

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 14:25 - 02 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

If you really want to hit thr rough stuff a BMW F850GSPD might be a good choice, on the rough stuff is requires a very good rider though due to the immense weight. Tiffany has taken hers everywhere.

Shes got a R100GS basic version of my R100GSPD.

theres also the smaller R80G/S plus the better Paris Dakar and kalihrai versions plus the R65G/S but there quite rare and under powered.

Dont bother with any BMW made after 1995 other than the single cylinder F650GS, the F800GS and R1200GS etc are junk.

The KTM aventures are quite nice bikes l would have one if l want a new bike, plus there very good offroad for there size.
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:06 - 02 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 950 adventure and love it. Unlike any other bike I've had, I can't see myself selling it - it is genuinely good both on and off road, in almost any kind of situation.

When I was looking I test rode an 800GS, but I can't say I was that impressed by it. At the time I'd not ridden the KTM and I came away from it thinking it'd probably be good off road, but it felt a bit weedy on it. I then tried out the 990 which has quite a bit more power and just generally feels a much more solid bike. The suspension is brilliant and the LC8 engine is way more fun than any BMW I've ridden too.

It also doesn't hurt that the mid-late 950s can now be had for very very decent prices. As I see it, when you consider that the 950s are smoother and simpler than the 990s (yay carbs) the decision is pretty much made for you:

- The BMW 1100/1200s are too big, heavy and dull
- The F800GS is expensive as they've only been around a short while. Second hand models are likely to be the first model, i.e. the one with all the teething problems.
- ... what else is there?

This is assuming that you would be using the bike off road, or that you'd be riding stuff other than major roads, at the very least. If you want a road bike then there's probably other stuff to consider, e.g. Varaderos. Personally I think they're monumentally dreary bikes, but being Hondas they're probably pretty capable and reasonably good in terms of running costs.

There's also the Tiger and Multistrada, which would probably be worth a look. I'd be tempted by a Multistrada with termis if I was never going to ride off road. The new one looks nice, apart from that weird beak thing, but it's fucking expensive.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:32 - 02 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's always highland Smile - https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=197255

https://www.othermakes.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/us-highland-desert-crosser-950.jpg

Very Happy

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:43 - 02 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

Cool as that looks... where's your local dealer? Razz

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:53 - 02 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dealers suck anyway Smile - I went in with a card loaded with cash to buy a 690 and they made me wait getting on for an hour so I could give the money to the right person, who then tried to ‘sell’ to my telling me how great the pliers that came with it were (which were about the cheapest looking part Rolling Eyes.)
Then there’s the dealer I’ve mentioned to you before which I’ve not at all been impressed by.

Were someone to give me a big chunk of cash to buy such a bike, I think I would happily pop over on a plane to collect and get it shipped back (possibly via baja and the TAT Smile ).

To be fair, don’t think they’re even available yet, so it may all just be vapourware so far – hopefully they’ll get going decently though, if it’s what is promised, you’d think they could keep sales going for a few threads just with a couple of threads on advrider Smile.

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:04 - 02 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Dealers suck anyway Smile - I went in with a card loaded with cash to buy a 690 and they made me wait getting on for an hour so I could give the money to the right person, who then tried to ‘sell’ to my telling me how great the pliers that came with it were (which were about the cheapest looking part Rolling Eyes.)
Then there’s the dealer I’ve mentioned to you before which I’ve not at all been impressed by.

Were someone to give me a big chunk of cash to buy such a bike, I think I would happily pop over on a plane to collect and get it shipped back (possibly via baja and the TAT Smile ).

To be fair, don’t think they’re even available yet, so it may all just be vapourware so far – hopefully they’ll get going decently though, if it’s what is promised, you’d think they could keep sales going for a few threads just with a couple of threads on advrider Smile.

Much as they do generally suck (I've never bought a bike from a dealer) you do need at least a few of 'em, otherwise there won't be any bikes out there for people to buy. If they do manage to get a UK dealer I'd certainly be interested in having a look at one, but more out of curiosity than anything else. The bikes may be light but the cynic in me assumes they'll either be poorly built, unreliable or very expensive.

I like your idea for a test ride though. Good point about the ADV lot, too. Make the right product and they'd keep just about anyone in business.

PS. My KTM pliers rock. Wink

Smooth
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:41 - 02 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://lh6.ggpht.com/_0mzZVT8Q0l4/Sqpxv-iw5HI/AAAAAAAAEgs/3QvzmjLSQJU/Yamaha_TDM900_03_1024x768.jpg

neatbik
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:54 - 02 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just bought an F650gs Dakar, previous bike was a Triumph Speed Four.

The gs is extremely comfy, quick enough for me (although not as fast as the Triumph, not by a long way)

It handles a lot better than i thought it would, and i would have no worries taking it on a long trip. Thumbs Up

Jenks
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 02 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

DR800!

Gazz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 02 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always fancies the KTM bikes.

Think it might be the colour of them.

Nb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:14 - 02 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at the dl1000. Thumbs Up

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 22:46 - 02 Jun 2010    Post subject: Re: Adventure Bikes Reply with quote

Don't forget the Africa Twin... cheaper than KTM's etc, can get a decent one for around £3000, less if you don't mind a bit of work, you might get unlucky like me and have to do a fair amount of work, but mines pretty much all sorted now and it's a very capable bike.

It's good off road, it's good on road.. ideal bike really. Although I'm still looking to sell mine for a 950.

Problem with the 950 is there's not many about, yes they are available for around £4-5k but I can't seem to find any for sale...

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:52 - 02 Jun 2010    Post subject: Re: Adventure Bikes Reply with quote

If you're talking the Africa Twin, I think the Cagiva 900 elefant is definitely worth a look.
It weighs about the same as an Africa twin, makes a little more power and has a little better spec'ed components I believe. Harder to find, but go for a lot more reasonable prices.

Not bad bikes for what they are

However, the OP hasn't mentioned if he wants to take it off road, which makes a big difference to what you can get for your money - and I suspect the bent suspension issues with the F800 aren't an issue on the road too.

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:02 - 02 Jun 2010    Post subject: Re: Adventure Bikes Reply with quote

G wrote:
...and I suspect the bent suspension issues with the F800 aren't an issue on the road too.

But if you did decide you wanted to take the bike down some green lanes, that doubt would be in the back of your mind. It's just a poor design and it shouldn't happen on a bike that costs nearly £8,000 new.

Did you read much of the thread?

The guy took the bike back to BMW, and all they did was replace the bolt on warranty resulting in it bending again 90 miles later. You can get a brace for the upper mount but I never read far enough to see if that actually fixes the problem completely or just delays it.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 23:06 - 02 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smooth wrote:
https://lh6.ggpht.com/_0mzZVT8Q0l4/Sqpxv-iw5HI/AAAAAAAAEgs/3QvzmjLSQJU/Yamaha_TDM900_03_1024x768.jpg

Perfect unless you want to travel down anything rougher other than a gravelly road.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:20 - 02 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I read up to the '90 mile' bit too. Good luck finding that much actual green lanes to ride in a day in the UK Razz.

chris-red wrote:

Perfect unless you want to travel down anything rougher other than a gravelly road.

People do it on the 1200GS, so no reason why not on the TDM - ideally find some more suitable tyres, though Smile.
As said before - had my zx9 down a gentle green lane and it did ok Smile.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:25 - 03 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

Man not machine, I saw a smegging Goldwing bouncing its way across Mongolia.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Dom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:07 - 03 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
chris-red wrote:

Man not machine, I saw a smegging Goldwing bouncing its way across Mongolia.

Which would be a valid point if the thread title was "I'm a masochist looking for the least suitable bike I can find". There's no harm in having the right tool for the job.

Smooth
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:18 - 03 Jun 2010    Post subject: Re: Adventure Bikes Reply with quote

AL 1 wrote:
I am open to suggestions. The bike will be used 90% of the time two up and touring the UK, Europe

TDM or a tourer.

Quote:
and eventually further a field

When this eventually happens he can buy a new bike. Until then a TDM will be ideal for the surfaced roads of Europe.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:22 - 03 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, taking the other side for a moment – to be fair I chose my touring bike on a kind of inverse 90/10 principal – I chose a bike that was 90% good for 10% of the riding, while 90% of the riding I was doing it wasn’t nearly as suitable as other bikes.
However my reasoning was that the 10% of the riding was the fun bit, the raison d'être while the 90% was more utilitarian.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 334 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1