Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Pup-Project: Honda CB125TD-C; Resto & Beyond...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

LongJohn22
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:37 - 23 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, both of you. It's been a fascinating read all the way through, and I suspect an equally fascinating journey for you, Snowy. Enjoy the bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 00:06 - 24 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two years ago, she was riding a Chinese Honda Rebel copy.
She had been on L-Plates for six years. GRumbling about all of lifes niggles that got in the way of getting a licence. She moaned that the chain kept falling off the bike, and no one would sell her a new one, or help her fix it, and it was horrible to ride and only did 55mph. She wanted to learn mechanics so she could fix her own bike, and she wanted to get her tests done so she could have a big bike.

She started this project, with a mission: That was to build a bike that was as good or better than new, which she knew intimately, and could have every confidence in, and get her tests 'done' on. She wanted to learn how bikes work, and how to fix them, and be able to do her own maintenence and repairs.

Today, the bike was finished. But the end of ONE journey, is only the beginning of another!

Back in December, I bought her the Theory/Hazard practice DVD for her Birthday, and in February, booked a test for her. She failed, but every endevour faces its set-backs, as so many of the niggles and hassles in building this bike has shown... trick is, to keep going, and not give up. In March, she passed her Theory/Hazard test, and LAST Monday, I took her over to Hinkley Rider Training, and signed her up for a full, rider Training Course, with CBT on Saturday the 4th June, and weekly lessons, and school booked tests.

This evening, she looked at me and grinned... "It Passed!" she said, and gave me a cuddle.... "I cant believe your making all this actually HAPPEN"

No, Darling... YOU are making all this HAPPEN... I'm just showing you the way!

MOT Man, was tickled pink with this bike. He must see dozens of bikes through his doors every week, that are some-one's pride and joy.... yet he stood there marveling at this one, and all the 'little' details, like the heated grips, the GPS, the custom clocks, the hazard warning lights, and the custom decals and paint work... he actually had to look twice, he didn't believe it wasn't factory.

This is the man we are ALL afraid of showing our creations to... the one person we merely wish, and seldom totally 'satisfy', but this girl, on her FIRST build, IMPRESSED him. and the credit HAS to be hers.

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/the%20pup/101_0065.jpg
How often do we see a MOT Man GRINNING like that!

She probably wont admit as much, but she has succeeded in achieving all she set out to with this project, time to use it for the next... getting that licence!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

growler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:41 - 24 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow just wow!

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:23 - 24 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done you!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

SnowTigeress
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:59 - 04 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yippppppppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeee im road legal again....

The pup was so great to ride and i had no problems....Well i didnt
the pup lost the speedo and back lights and brake lights...so ill be sorting that out in the morning and then going for a nice ride......now where to go?

Derbyshire?
Coalville?

Well first stops is to my familys and friends in Leicester...so my mum and stepdad can see what ive built....then to a few friends.....then well where ever the wind takes me I suppose....
TheSmiler: binning it is better than going around a roundabout the wrong way
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 13:37 - 05 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnowTigeress wrote:
Yippppppppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeee im road legal again....

Well this entire project was working towards THIS moment... let me remind you....
SnowTigeress (11 Jun 2010) wrote:
Alright, so HOW did I get into this mess? Well had my bike stolen nearly 5 weeks ago
https://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae49/bikerbird/The%20Pup%20Project/100_0067.jpg
It was a Horrible Chinese cruiser thing. An AJS-Regal Raptor DD125E, to be precice. And I hated it. But My B/F had convinced me to keep it long enough to get my training & test. and made a few adaptations, like fitting lower bar-risers and narrower bars, and i was JUST starting to think it was ALMOST alright, and had even polished it, when it got nicked. And it hadn't been found so had to look for another 125 so that i could do my rider training,before going on my test.

But 'The Build' was only a 'part' of what it was all about!
& the girl didn't even bother to show you pics!
So here you are, 'The Pup' in action, doing what it was built to do!
https://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/254087_220114654680126_100000447789019_822113_5808544_n.jpg

Feet up, in action, riding around on the playground

https://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/252071_220114681346790_100000447789019_822114_1369710_n.jpg

Gears working good, with that new clutch and nice new chain & stuff!

https://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/247103_220114821346776_100000447789019_822118_4285952_n.jpg

https://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/250066_220114971346761_100000447789019_822122_4527142_n.jpg

Going round in circles sending every one as dizzy as she is!

https://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/247240_220115381346720_100000447789019_822130_7222997_n.jpg

And here she is getting ANOTHER cirtificate... that makes three... the Theory Pass, the MOT and now her CBT... TWO to go and she's THERE. There'll be NO stopping the girl then.... (Heaven HELP me! WHAT-HAVE I let myself in for! Shocked )

https://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/247409_220115598013365_100000447789019_822140_7203134_n.jpg

She seems to be charting the progress of her training in another thread, though, He`s gone and done it now over on newbies, if any-one wants all the gory details!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

lozza59
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:08 - 05 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for posting here, just realised its show and tell, excellent job with the cb!! and thanks for the info Very Happy (trying to remove posts)

Last edited by lozza59 on 03:27 - 07 Jun 2011; edited 1 time in total

lozza59
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:44 - 05 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure how to delete/move post Confused

Last edited by lozza59 on 03:32 - 07 Jun 2011; edited 1 time in total

lozza59
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:08 - 06 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused

Last edited by lozza59 on 03:35 - 07 Jun 2011; edited 2 times in total

SnowTigeress
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 08:59 - 06 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

lozza59 wrote:
quote: Main-stands:- All seem to wobble. Any ideas? Cures? Comments?
i have the same issue, on a cg i had there was a pin that went through the frame and stand that had a split pin go through the end of it, but on my superdream the end is threaded and has had numerous washers (i think about 13? very rattly!) acting as spacers added, there is even a large nut acting as a spacer!! on my cg i removed the centre stand and used a side stand of one of my (many) chinese bikes, i have thought of doing this yet again,on the superdream but i would have to buy the mount for the side stand??, also the centre stands are very useful so i would like to keep it on. i tried nipping it up but centre stand will not retract fully as its then too tight, im soon going to dig out the stand unit from my jialing jh 125 33 which i think is a chinese copy of the cb 125 twin. (may be of use) also whilst reading about insuring a cb 125 as your second bike costing nothing basically and then you said the tax was '(cant remember word)' lol but mine is an 83 a reg so is it tax exempt? i have just sorned it and never taxed it so have no idea, any help on the centre stand or the tax maybe exempt issue? also the metal rail that goes around the rear of the bike (under the rear fairing/seat unit, there is a lip top and bottom of the rail? and i notice all the bolts are sunken into it when bolted up, so it seems like something may slot into it? but i have no idea! just seems that way to me! looks like someone got fed up with the rear shock linkage on 'the heap' never seen twin shocks bolted to one of those silver box style swingarms! plenty on the black tubular ones though! would have been a tell tale sign if like me you spend every day for 3 years looking at old 125cc bikes lol your welcome to restore my cb125 Very Happy as i may be leaving it for quite a bit due to maybe purchasing a suzuki intruder v twin lol some great info on your posts! also some quite comical Thumbs Up and using a cb125 after passing your test and then hopping onto 'black dawg' cb 750 may be a bit of a leap as i found from a cg to my 1990 cbr 600fl!!! but then sometimes i am an idiot with the throttle!

Take it off pass it this way,lol,and fit benley side stand,the legs wobble and crack as they rot on the inside they can twist or bend,the pins wear and the lugs on the frame wear,so take your pick what you want to do with it....

As far as we know the jialing is a bit of a mongrel its a twin port cg engine,or cm rebel engine,the frame is based on the cg125/cb100/cb125rs,and small honda parts bin for all the rest,so not sure whether the stand would fit try it,but the cg centre stand is a different part number...

The insurance we ended up getting to polices as we needed the second rider on both of them,so that we both could use them...as ive got rode training and if something does go wrong with the Pup i still had the corporal to take on training...and you cant have 2 riders and 2 bikes on one policy...

Ive got a fair few other cb125 to rebuild first started another already....but yeah bring it over just if you want it as good as the Pup its going to cost....
As for being tax exempt thats if it was built in 1972 so your 10 years out im afraid,but then the tax is only £16 a year....

The rail at the rear has a rubber strip that goes in the middle thats why the screws are sunk in....

As I said at the start the Heap we thought was the early Twin-shock,with later body work....

The first bike I ever rode was a cbr600f that my ex had..so i dont think id have much of a problem,but the dawg is to high and heavy,so in 2 years maybe longer ill be getting a Moto Guzzi V50,already sat on one and felt the weight and they dont feel that much heavier..

lozza59 wrote:
Shocked i too have painted over my frame numbers! oooops

If the Mot man cant see the numbers they wont even start the MOT,but the one we had gave us some sand paper to sand over the number so he can see it...after the MOT we put clear lacquer over it to stop it rusting...

lozza59 wrote:
any chance you would sell me a repair kit for my speedo and rev counter?? lol need new needles and would like new faces for them as mine are faded and i stupidly rubbed one down Embarassed normally i would buy replacement but after seeing the job you did with project pups clocks i thought i would have a go at it myself, not a good outcome so far,

Lol the needles were made from an old CD,but Tef made the corporals with straws and painted them,as the originals were broken so i dont think we have any spares...sorry,as for the dials we scanned the old faces so we had the numbers in the right places before redoing the design....if you havent got the numbers on your speedo and rev i still have the pics of the old ones you just have to print them on transparent film,put some silicone around the glass before building back up to stop water getting under the glass....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mattish
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:07 - 06 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this project Cool it brings back a lot of memories as my first motorbike was a '83 cb125. I stripped mine back to a similar extent and rebuilt the top end, the overall finish was never as good as this one tho!

Again, well done Smile

SnowTigeress
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:06 - 08 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

lozza59 wrote:
sorry for posting here, just realised its show and tell, excellent job with the cb!! and thanks for the info Very Happy (trying to remove posts)

Ok lozza Ive sent you the original scannings of my clock faces before they were changed...hope that helps

lozza59
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:11 - 10 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

thankyou very much for that! Very Happy the pups engine looks very smart, did you paint it? if so what paint was used? all i could find was matt black vht, i saw starting the pup on youtube! Thumbs Up

SnowTigeress
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 06:56 - 10 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

lozza59 wrote:
thankyou very much for that! Very Happy the pups engine looks very smart, did you paint it? if so what paint was used? all i could find was matt black vht, i saw starting the pup on youtube! Thumbs Up

Yeah the engine was painted in PJ1 gloss black..

hmmmmmm is that when it didnt start?? Embarassed

watching that i releised why when i answer the phone they ask if my mums in Laughing

MadCatLady
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:43 - 10 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have loved reading this and think you two are awesome and a real inspiration to anyone.
Enjoy many happy miles on The Pup xx

lozza59
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:07 - 10 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol yep thats the one, but it started in the end Very Happy get the corporal!
the pup sounds great in the video, excellent job it sounded like it was running on both cylinders Thumbs Up (unlike me that put mine back together running on one!) pup revved straight up too, Cool hear the awesomeness!

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 20:00 - 18 Jun 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

lozza59 wrote:
lol yep thats the one, but it started in the end Very Happy get the corporal!
the pup sounds great in the video, excellent job it sounded like it was running on both cylinders Thumbs Up (unlike me that put mine back together running on one!) pup revved straight up too, Cool hear the awesomeness!

https://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w269/teflons-torque/XX-Forum%20Posts/101_0066.jpg
Picture the pair of them, outside the back door, on thier stands, on a fast idle, warming up, while we suit up for a ride.....

NOW imagine the paranoia when I hear ONE of them, dropping out on one pot........

Snowie actually got me a corker the other day...... I had my hat on, and headset, all miked up for bike 2 bike comms...... and she switched my bike OFF.... I stood there reving it, and she 'mimicked' me reving hers, so it SOUNDED through my hat and headphones, like it was doing what it should, but sort of out of sync!

Oh the FUN!

jimbothe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:51 - 12 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of these has just landed in my garage. I think it's the tdc. It has the red band around the head. It's a Y reg (thats the old Y).

Also a 1978 one..

I shall be breaking them Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

old1eye
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:08 - 12 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimbothe wrote:
One of these has just landed in my garage. I think it's the tdc. It has the red band around the head. It's a Y reg (thats the old Y).

Also a 1978 one..

I shall be breaking them Wink

your 1978 one.... does it have spoked wheels or the five star alloy ones?

jimbothe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 12 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoked ones but they are pretty rusty. Solid but rusty.

old1eye
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:55 - 12 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimbothe wrote:

if it is the disk variation front then i would be intrested in buying the pair if you are selling?

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 12 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

old1eye wrote:
jimbothe wrote:

disk

You after mechanical discs or the hydraulic?

old1eye
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:32 - 12 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

You after mechanical discs or the hydraulic?[/quote]

doesnt matter which as long as its the five bolt variation of disk

jimbothe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 12 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 4 bolt disc on the '78 (spokes) and a 5 bolt disc on the '83 (alloys).

Make no mistake, these are dogs and only fit for parting out but I'll add some rough pics I have just took. Lovingly stored in the back garden by the owner for the past 6 years, outside, no covers.... I can do some better ones if needed. I'll add them on here as Mike has also asked to see some pics.

https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b342/jgillard/cb125s001.jpg
https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b342/jgillard/cb125s002.jpg
https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b342/jgillard/cb125s003.jpg
https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b342/jgillard/cb125s004.jpg
https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b342/jgillard/cb125s005.jpg
https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b342/jgillard/cb125s006.jpg

old1eye
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:55 - 12 Sep 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, looking at the pic, the disks look about the same size.

if you get a chance some time would you mind measuring to see if the disks are the same space away from the fork legs?

would be easier to figure if the spoked wheels with the 4 bolt disc will line up with the brake caliper from the alloy 5 bolt wheels then.

many thanks
ben
p.s. in the top photo is that a hole i spie on the rim? (black dot)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 222 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9