Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Headlight bulb keeps blowing please help me its expensive :(

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

dudejb46
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:25 - 11 Jun 2010    Post subject: Headlight bulb keeps blowing please help me its expensive :( Reply with quote

hi guys i have now bought a yamaha dtr 125 1998

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs358.snc3/29524_1486489407391_1388581737_1279488_7666709_n.jpg

now to my anger it keeps blowing bulbs i am using this bulb

https://www.hq-auto-lighting.co.uk/images/H4--HQ-Xenon-Bulbs.jpg

and everytime i ride the bike from idle as the revs get higher it dims more and more and then at around 10 000 rpm it goes pop litterly cracks sometimes other times just the filament goes.

i did have the origianl bulbs in but it went and im unsure weather this was wear and tear as it came with the bike or if it was the same problem.

now i have no clue what it is weather its in the loom or battery is wrong :S

another thing to bear in mind when diagnosing it not sure if its related but when the headlight is on and working if i apply brake or indicators it dims for the brake and flashes with the idicators.

if anyone can solve this you will be saving me so much money ill be so so happy please please help

Paxovasa
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 11 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wiring fault, possible earth problem.

dudejb46
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:37 - 11 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paxovasa wrote:

thank you for your promt response... in the headlight there is i think a green and blue wire attached and a black dangling??? is this the earth? should it be attached

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 11 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably some wires rubbing through insulation and brushing against the frame.
Under the seat, and round the headstock likely problem areas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dudejb46
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:40 - 11 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Probably some wires rubbing through insulation and brushing against the frame.
Under the seat, and round the headstock likely problem areas.

best way to just take all panels off look for signs of rubbing? and the go over any thing or marked areas with isulation?
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

dudejb46
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:50 - 11 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vincent wrote:
As above or your reg/rec has gone. You'll need to measure the voltage at the battery when revving the bike. If the regulator has gone it might reach 9-12Volts, (I take it the bike is 6 Volt?). Check that the headlamp is still rubber mounted, vibration can murder bulbs too.

i can get a hold of another reg/rec so i will try this thank you

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:56 - 11 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Another vote for a bad earth. Don't forget the obvious and check the connection to the battery.

All the best

Keith

dudejb46
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:10 - 11 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

Another vote for a bad earth. Don't forget the obvious and check the connection to the battery.

All the best

Keith

hey, thank you for this, when you say check batter connections lik for breaks? or how it s conneted?

cheers john
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

27cows
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:40 - 12 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

dudejb46 wrote:
Paxovasa wrote:

thank you for your promt response... in the headlight there is i think a green and blue wire attached and a black dangling??? is this the earth? should it be attached

The black is the earth and it shouldn't be dangling Shocked

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:16 - 12 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

27cows wrote:

The black is the earth and it shouldn't be dangling Shocked

I can't believe that no one else picked up on that.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:39 - 12 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and everytime i ride the bike from idle as the revs get higher it dims more and more and then at around 10 000 rpm it goes pop litterly cracks sometimes other times just the filament goes.

Seems strange that a bulb would crack after getting dimmer. Can't think why that would happen.

I'd expect the opposite, if the reg/rec was knackered the bulb would usually get brighter as revs increase until the heat build-up caused it to fail.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 09:10 - 12 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the black wire earth on Yamahas? On my bike the earth is green, and the black is positive. Mine has a spare black wire in the headlight shell that doesn't attach to anything, and isn't meant to going by the wiring diagram.

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:53 - 12 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

A H4 bulb requires 3 wires to function correctly. If yours has only 2 connected to it then you will encounter problems. The missing wire is almost certainly the earth ground wire.
The symptoms that you describe are typical of an appliance trying to find an alternative path back to earth.

dudejb46
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:09 - 12 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is helping me alot im getting ready to go out and get another bulb for another attempt.

so the reoccouring idea is this earth and one the should be sorted, how and were should i attach it to earth it properly?

thank you

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:51 - 12 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something has just occured to me. Is the headlight unit OE or aftermarket?
If the original lighting was non-dippable then there will be only 2 wires entering the unit but just 1 of the beams will function. The other beam will not work at all. This may explain the redundant dangling wire and will negate most of what I posted earlier.

dudejb46
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:04 - 12 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raffles wrote:
Something has just occured to me. Is the headlight unit OE or aftermarket?
If the original lighting was non-dippable then there will be only 2 wires entering the unit but just 1 of the beams will function. The other beam will not work at all. This may explain the redundant dangling wire and will negate most of what I posted earlier.

the wiring is standard to the 92 loom and the headlight is exactly the same as the bike taken from and both have high and low beam does this help?
cheers for you input Smile

27cows
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:41 - 12 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

DO NOT use the lights until the dangling black wire is connected. There should be a connector nearby for it to plug into. Or at least a black wire missing its connector etc. It's possible you may have to bodge that black wire into the system. But without it connected, the h/l bulbs will blow every time the revs rise.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:20 - 12 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't understand. With the bulb earth disconnected, using main beam nothing should happen except the main beam warning light would show as there's no return-path after that, and using dip would put +12v(ish) across the dip, main and main beam warning light filaments in series so they would all show dimly.

Why does it dim as revs rise, and why would it blow the bulb with the earth off? There's something else going on IMO.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

dudejb46
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:29 - 12 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

27cows wrote:
DO NOT use the lights until the dangling black wire is connected. There should be a connector nearby for it to plug into. Or at least a black wire missing its connector etc. It's possible you may have to bodge that black wire into the system. But without it connected, the h/l bulbs will blow every time the revs rise.

shit i did use them again with another bulb....and it went again, now today i bought a new bulb and it wont even light up i have since tried 3 other bulbs, none worked, all other lights work on the bike though?!?

you say bodge it in, where too?

thank you

finpos
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:38 - 12 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd tend to agree with what Pete says, all is not as it seems. You really need to trace the two wires that are connected to the headlight socket all the way back to wherever they are coming from.

f.

27cows
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:51 - 12 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

dudejb46 wrote:
27cows wrote:

shit i did use them again with another bulb....and it went again, now today i bought a new bulb and it wont even light up i have since tried 3 other bulbs, none worked, all other lights work on the bike though?!?

you say bodge it in, where too?

thank you

Photos would be helpful, get some idea if the wiring looks bodged or damaged.

That dangling wire should be connected - you need to find the other end, the wire it should be joined to but isn't. That would be the first port of call.

But as others have said, the dimming issue is odd. It's something I've had happen on bikes myself and usually indicates a short somewhere. You need to carefully go over the wiring, making sure the connectors (particularly the various earth wires) are clean and that there's no damage, chafed wires etc anywhere. Keep putting new bulbs in is completely pointless because they'll just blow until the issue is sorted.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:07 - 12 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are only three things that I can think of that will cause a bulb to blow prematurely:

1. Vibration
2. Over-volting
3. Intermittant connection.

Vibration is common on small bike headlights - the vibrations cause the filaments to shake until they fail.

Over-volting is almost always caused by a failed reg/rectifier. Most all other failiures of the charging system cause low-voltage. On small bikes a duff battery can cause it too.

An intermittant connection causing the filament to heat up & cool many times will shorten it's lifespan.

delvey91
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:16 - 12 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to note is that the Headlight on a DT 125 runs straight off the stator
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 321 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2