Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Turbos what to look out for?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

sidewinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:38 - 05 Nov 2014    Post subject: Turbos what to look out for? Reply with quote

A couple of months ago we purchased a volvo v70 d5 stunning car but the problem is the missis is never out of it Very Happy .so I have decided to go and look at a s60 2.5t.having never owned a petrol turbo before what should I be looking apart from usual fucked turbo smoke to make sure the turbo I healthy?..yes I know it's not a bike but due to living where we do a car is needed during the winter Very Happy

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:10 - 05 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Service history is key, if it hasn't got one or it's a bit sketchy, walk away, there's plenty of them out there.

If it's an auto, make sure the box is tip top, uses all the gears and doesn't flare on the up shifts or bang in to down changes; minor harshness can sometimes be fixed with a software update, but if it's really rough, could be a new box on the near horizon.

They can suffer minor electrical niggles, such as going through bulbs like there's no tomorrow and pinging on spurious warning lights.

As with all modern Volvos, avoid the early ones, go for something two or three years into the model run, so they've had a chance to iron out the serious bugs.

One oddity of the S60 is the rear window, which is at such angle the dirt tends to sit on it, after a long run in shitty weather, you'll be struggling to see out of it, so PDCs would be a good option.

Oh and compared to your D5, the fuel consumption will be a bit sore, high teens in town isn't unusual.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sidewinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:32 - 05 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply shaft. Thumbs Up
The car has a full volvo history and is a manual I think it's a 04 but it's on a private plate so need to check that one...it just had a full Volvo cambelt kit fitted and I believe new clutch and egr valve on last service.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:21 - 05 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it's been looked after.

They are generally pretty reliable, just keep up regular oil changes and use quality oil, if you want to keep the turbo in good nick.

Do check the manual box, they are made by Getrag so they are quite tough, but they have been known to go, so make sure it's not crunchy (they are a bit baulky normally, but not noisy) and have a go at a few quick changes if you get the chance, to try and beat the synchros.

Usual things with high output FWD Volvos apply; they like front tyres and brakes, some people think the low speed ride is a bit harsh with the big wheels and the turning circle is dreadful.

I think the S60 is very underrated, you should enjoy it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:51 - 05 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard T5 engines do sometimes shit themselves. It's rare, but more common than most other cars.

A friend bought a V70 T5 and picked it up and after a quick fuel stop on the motorway on the way home, managed to bend a load of valves on the slip road in second gear, about 1500 rpm before the limiter.

Generally though as long as you don't drive them too hard they're sound cars. Full service history, or at least major service history with all the important big jobs done and should be ok.

Check there is no oil leak under the engine bay or around the turbo, other than that its the usual things really.

I helped him do the engine swap and I know why Volvos are so safe... when we took off the front bumper it weighed about 20kg and was literally lined with what can only be described as concrete, whereas most manufacturers use expanded polystyrene.

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 05 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had one.

Everything Shaft is saying is pretty spot on.

MPG is terrible.
Rear window is shit.

Personally I wouldn't get an auto, when I tried one it didn't seem to do that engine justice.

If its an early one check the idle, if it wanders at all walk away. They had an issue with the TPS/Thottle bodies that Volvo refused to fix on warranty) that will cost you a lot of money to fix.
If it doesn't fluctuate, still check the TB, look for a sticker on it, if it's white it means its an older throttle body that will fail eventually. If its yellow it means its a new unit that wont fail.

They are very harsh on front end suspension components, I had to replace the drop links about every 6 months, and the engine mounts went fairly often.

Also, dat turning circle, is fucking terrible Laughing 17 point turns will be your new best friend.
Get used to people staring at you while making arctic lorry type maneuvers in car parks with your tyres squealing against the rub plates in your wheel arches.

:edit: That all came across fairly negative. If you dont mind the MPG and turning circle go for it.

Possible the most comfy car I have ever driven and the engine is brilliant.

I would defiantly own another. (I just sold an S60 2.0T and if I were to buy another it would be a T5 again, the 2.0T hasn't got much better MPG and feels a lot more sedate)

ferrisio
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:23 - 05 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an S60 2.0T and loved it apart from the terrible boot, it's tiny and awkward - putting luggage in it is like posting it through a narrow letterbox.

There's nothing like the sound of a 5cyl turbo screaming though!

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:33 - 05 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferrisio wrote:
I had an S60 2.0T and loved it apart from the terrible boot, it's tiny and awkward - putting luggage in it is like posting it through a narrow letterbox.

There's nothing like the sound of a 5cyl turbo screaming though!

But the carrier bag holder!

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:33 - 05 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want to look for an atmospheric dump valve.

So it goes psst-Chh each time you change gears.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

sidewinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:39 - 05 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys .some really good points to look for.well been to see it today and what a car Very Happy boot is small but not a problem.its got a huge pile of paper work with it.lot of the stuff mentioned has alreay been done Thumbs Up
Noticed it has a magnaflow exhaust which sounds awesome when you give it some.also amongst the paper work is a remap done at super chips but bhp is unknown the chap who's it is(was) recons it's a lot quicker than the one he had before.it has a manual box a shit loads of options to apparently it was a dealer demo when it was new.mpg is a bit shit saw 21mpg on test run but who cares about that Very Happy . Don't know if to take the tow hitch of its only been used to take a small trailer to the tip once in a while..

So as from today I'm the owner of a black 04 Volvo s60 2.5 turbo picking it up on Friday.is this the same engine the focus,s use?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:07 - 05 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needs moar dump valve Cool

Nash GT
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:17 - 05 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Needs moar dump valve Cool

Forge or HKS will do for loudness Thumbs Up

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:33 - 05 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

sidewinder wrote:
So as from today I'm the owner of a black 04 Volvo s60 2.5 turbo picking it up on Friday.is this the same engine the focus,s use?

Nice. It is, not identical, but pretty much the same.

Get it on a rolling road to get a power run. Can also identify any problems like over/underfuelling etc that could result from the remap if it was done by someone less than expert level

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 05 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

sidewinder wrote:

Noticed it has a magnaflow exhaust which sounds awesome when you give it some.also amongst the paper work is a remap done at super chips but bhp is unknown the chap who's it is(was) recons it's a lot quicker than the one he had before.it has a manual box a shit loads of options to apparently it was a dealer demo when it was new.

Superchips have got a good enough reputation that their conversions are one of the few performance mods that don't have a detrimental effect on the value of cars.

From memory, at that point the 2.5T was pushing out 210ps Vs 250ps for the T5 (torque was virtually the same) so that kind of power output is what I would be expecting, maybe a bit more torque to go with it.

I don't remember there being lots of options available, but dealers generally specced up their stock orders, so you start with an SE (leather, climate control, electric everything) and added a Climate pack (heated seats, headlamp washers, rain sensor).

I tended to order cars with the optional multi vane alloys and if you've got the stereo upgrade, it's a cracking sound system.

sidewinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 05 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has a Bose system and heated seats Thumbs Up

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:04 - 05 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure both systems were Bose, the better one has a 6 disc, single slot head unit, separate amp and built in sub, with Dolby Pro Logic surround sound.

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 05 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
Pretty sure both systems were Bose, the better one has a 6 disc, single slot head unit, separate amp and built in sub, with Dolby Pro Logic surround sound.

Yep the better one has a Dolby Pro Logic button.

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:24 - 06 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
sidewinder wrote:

Noticed it has a magnaflow exhaust which sounds awesome when you give it some.also amongst the paper work is a remap done at super chips but bhp is unknown the chap who's it is(was) recons it's a lot quicker than the one he had before.it has a manual box a shit loads of options to apparently it was a dealer demo when it was new.

Superchips have got a good enough reputation that their conversions are one of the few performance mods that don't have a detrimental effect on the value of cars.

From memory, at that point the 2.5T was pushing out 210ps Vs 250ps for the T5 (torque was virtually the same) so that kind of power output is what I would be expecting, maybe a bit more torque to go with it.

I don't remember there being lots of options available, but dealers generally specced up their stock orders, so you start with an SE (leather, climate control, electric everything) and added a Climate pack (heated seats, headlamp washers, rain sensor).

I tended to order cars with the optional multi vane alloys and if you've got the stereo upgrade, it's a cracking sound system.

225PS for the Mk2 Focus ST.

The Mk2 Focus RS uses the 2.5T engine as well to get 305PS

sidewinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:20 - 06 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it worth ordering a turbo timer.thinking about lowering it and fitting a dump valve mate is suggesting a anti lag kit but. Thinking that's going a bit far Very Happy

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:26 - 06 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

sidewinder wrote:
Is it worth ordering a turbo timer.

Not really.

Order a bleed valve/ Electronic boost controller for MOAR POWAH!11!

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:55 - 07 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

sidewinder wrote:
Is it worth ordering a turbo timer.thinking about lowering it and fitting a dump valve mate is suggesting a anti lag kit but. Thinking that's going a bit far Very Happy

Nah, I'd just take it steady for the last couple of miles/minutes of the journey, steady revs under 2500rpm and turbo should cool down with the oil circulating.

If you feel like a car alarm though, then yes, get a Clifford alarm, and get a turbo timer. Can also get remote start which starts the engine without unlocking the car, so can get it warming up and defrosting whilst you're still getting your shit together in the morning

Nash GT
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:08 - 07 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above, take it easy on the last couple of miles

sidewinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:24 - 07 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well picked it up.compared to the mondeo things is like a ballistic missile.glad it's got tc .thing was winking all the way up the lanes going home.i think we'll become good mates.next purchase bits for Volvo then new bikey Very Happy

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:31 - 07 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know the rules, pics or gtfo!

Thumbs Up

sidewinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:58 - 07 Nov 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

When this rain stops and it's back from getting the fluids changed I'll get some up Thumbs Up

EDIT: bummer need to order some new flexible brake hoses for the front.there ok but could do with changing so ordered some braided ones.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 144 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1