BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Pain

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:17 - 29 Jun 2010    Post subject: Pain Reply with quote

Two and a half years ago I mangled my leg in an off and it never really healed leaving me with a bad limp.
Been to the Doc and he had it x-rayed, we thought the damage would be to the cartilage and would be treatable with steroid injections
, I got the results yesterday.
Quote:
Sever degenerative change to the right hip with osteopyte formation, reduction in joint space and subarticular sclerosis

In laymans terms the hip is f****d.
Only treatment is replacement,
However now I know what the problem is I am not that bothered by it, it hurts but so what? I can still do most things but I experience pain whilst doing so, why are we so programed to fear pain and avoid it? There is no way I am having surgery until my life becomes unbearable, by unbearable I mean that I can not walk, ride bikes or cycle or any of the other things that makes life life.
Looks like I limp for the next ten years. Mr. Green

silky666
Captain Rulebook

PostPosted: 21:28 - 29 Jun 2010    Post subject: Re: Pain Reply with quote

Ariel Badger wrote:
why are we so programed to fear pain and avoid it?

There is no way I am having surgery until my life becomes unbearable, by unbearable I mean that I can not walk, ride bikes or cycle or any of the other things that makes life life.

We are programmed to 'take note' of pain as it is the signal that something is wrong ...common sense really.
I dont think people 'fear' the sort of pain you talk of..... its more extreme discomfort. I have the same thing with my back.... it gives me pain in back and leg ... and the solution is an operation with a chance (doesnt matter that its a small chance) of paralysis... so fu*k it, i will ride with the pain until it stops me totally.. then have the op.

Now there are pains that no man can cope with... such as torture techniques... now those pains I fear.
Would not want ear drums punctured... teeth drilled ... nuts smashed etc etc Smile

Gaffa tape is like "the force" - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:37 - 29 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why suffer if it can be fixed?

My mam has had both her knees replaced over the past year. As a result she no longer has any pain from the joints, which allows her to do more and have no pain.

No brainer really. Sure that artificial hips can last 30 years now, if they are recommending you I'd get on the waiting list now, you've paid for it already anyway.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:41 - 29 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they just replace the "ball" or do they do anything with the socket?

If you leave it does it damage the socket more and make a repair more difficult?

Mark

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:49 - 29 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

They replace both ball and socket, they are not good for 30 years..more like 10 and I do not trust it to stand up to my life-style.
no way are they going at me with a knife and saw.

Edit.
My Dr agrees, bad hip + pain is better than metal hip no pain until it becomes unbearable. He is a good bloke and I trust him.

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 29 Jun 2010    Post subject: Re: Pain Reply with quote

Ariel Badger wrote:

Best get your name on the list now, Walli. By the time your ten years of pain are up you may be about half way up the pile.
As far as durability is concerned then I understand that if they pack the new hip with Copaslip and include a grease nipple then it should be good indefinitely.

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:31 - 29 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is six months waiting ATM. After reading some of the stories on the net I am more and more sure that I am right.
click

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:41 - 29 Jun 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ALLOWABLE ACTIVITIES AFTER HIP REPLACEMENT
The key word is common sense. Even a cemented hip will probably last for your entire lifetime if you stayed in bed and subjected it to no stresses at all! The aim is therefore to minimize stresses. You will be able to take part in physical activities which were impossible before surgery.

You can walk as much as you like. The best recommended activities are walking and swimming. You can ballroom dance, play golf, and ride a stationary or mobile bike. It is best to use spikeless shoes for golf, and to use a golf cart (so that you don’t have to carry a heavy bag of clubs). Bicycling on a level surface is less stressful then biking in hill country. Skiing smooth, groomed slopes in good light is relatively safe. Hard falls, such as from a horse, could result in serious injury to someone with a hip replacement. The femur bone can fracture just below the tip of the femoral implant which is a “weak point”.

Many surgeons place no restrictions at all on their patients who have had metal/metal hip replacements. It is the patient who takes the risk and not the surgeon.

The key word is common sense as they said......... I lack that in trumps Very Happy . I do not ride a bike on the road any more as it stopped being fun and IMHO was getting dangerous but I do ride in competition. If I am to be true to myself and actually compete then crashing is an inevitability, at Red Marley I have come off more times than I have crested the hill.
No fucking way am I giving up this life of bliss for ballroom poxy dancing Evil or Very Mad
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 275 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1