Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike cutting out at Full Throttle (50cc Scooter)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

JamesNRG
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:58 - 27 Aug 2010    Post subject: Bike cutting out at Full Throttle (50cc Scooter) Reply with quote

Piaggio NRG Extreme AC 2003;

Hi,

Recently, my bike has been cutting out or bogging down at full throttle, Anything below half throttle is fine, but this is strange as it was fine a few days ago, was happy at fully throttle, but now when i open it up from a slow speed, the rev's will die out and stall, if i do it at high speed, it sounds like im chopping on and off the throttle then it will bog down.

Any ideas what it could be?

EDIT: I also have stiffer Clutch Springs to aid my pullaway, to allow it to rev higher before the clutch engages, it was fine until i came off, now its pulling away in the dead zone bogging, and if i stop on a hill, it will not move, at all...

The Bike has a Doppler S3R (Performance Exhaust) if that helps and has had the Main Jet upjetted from a 56 to a 60.
Thanks.

Last edited by JamesNRG on 15:04 - 27 Aug 2010; edited 1 time in total

senso
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:02 - 27 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you already swapped the spark-plug and cleaning the air-filter.

SpannerMonkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:06 - 27 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.petrolmag.net/view/articles/how-to/carb-guide/
That should help
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JamesNRG
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:06 - 27 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

x86.sll wrote:
Have you already swapped the spark-plug and cleaning the air-filter.

Changed the plug, haven't cleaned the Air Filter, how do you do this?

Glenben92
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:09 - 27 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say put the original jet back in Confused seems the reasonable option. fuel flow is controlled in 3 different stages

1- idle screw
2- needle position
3- jet size

it moves through the three as the throttle position increases. so at full throttle, jet size is determining the amount of fuel getting into the cylinder. and your symptoms sound like it's overfuelling, so try the old jet Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JamesNRG
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:14 - 27 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenben92 wrote:
I'd say put the original jet back in Confused seems the reasonable option. fuel flow is controlled in 3 different stages

1- idle screw
2- needle position
3- jet size

it moves through the three as the throttle position increases. so at full throttle, jet size is determining the amount of fuel getting into the cylinder. and your symptoms sound like it's overfuelling, so try the old jet Smile

Theres two problems with that Thumbs Down

Firstly, If i downjet to the original jet, i will seize my bike as it will be running seriously lean, as the new exhaust really improves my bikes top end. (30mph now to 50mph. Dont worry, all legal, I'm 17 Thumbs Up )

Problem Number Two: The bike was upjetted by a previous owner, and has crossthreaded the carb, so i dont have the original jet, and due to the mainjet thread being crossthreaded, i couldnt change it even if i wanted too Sad

So i think a new carb is in order.

Dad said my exhaust could be full of shit? How could i clear it out

senso
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:19 - 27 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the sparkplug tip color?

JamesNRG
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:25 - 27 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tip is like colour of a cuppa tea, but the thread is all black and wet.

senso
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:56 - 27 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the carburettor is tuned properly the spark-plug tip will have a light brown(ish) colour, the threads is typical that they become dirty and even wet with some kind of oil residues, that looks like a dirty air filter, the carburettor doesn't detune by itself, or it should do it, as the tuning screw as a spring to prevent that.

JamesNRG
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:01 - 27 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i come home from work i'll get aphoto of it, so you can tell me if the colour is correct or not Smile Ill also clean my air filter and check my rollers.

SpannerMonkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:39 - 27 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesNRG wrote:
When i come home from work i'll get aphoto of it, so you can tell me if the colour is correct or not Smile Ill also clean my air filter and check my rollers.

Did you read the link I set you? =P

JamesNRG
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:59 - 27 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

spannermonkey91 wrote:
JamesNRG wrote:

Did you read the link I set you? =P

Yes i did! Sorry i forgot to thank you! my bad, thanks fella! Smile

Yeah we have fiddled with the Mixture, and thats what has made the full throttle issue, put it back to what it was, and its doing it again.... haven't a clue whats wrong! Sad

senso
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:43 - 27 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

So your problem is a simple tuning issue.

JamesNRG
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:45 - 27 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

x86.sll wrote:
So your problem is a simple tuning issue.

Must be, I'm thinking and hoping rollers! as the colour of the plug is the top right square on this image

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/dc/Color_icon_brown.svg/300px-Color_icon_brown.svg.png

But i'm confused! the thread is black like i said, and all shitty. Don't quite know if it's carb related or what? It sometimes Misfires too, like i turned key off then on quickly at ful throttle (before the problem)

SpannerMonkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:01 - 28 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rollers wouldnt cause engine to misfire and/or die =/

senso
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 01:27 - 28 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thread becomes sticky and greasy because the seal between the thread and the cylinder isn't perfect and the oil that is mixed with the gasoline isn't totally combusted during the combustion and expansion cycle of the engine, so some part of the oil lubricates the crankshaft, crank bearings, con-rod and is bearings, and the cylinder liner and the piston, and the seals of the piston, and there is yet enough oil to produce the smoke and to make those sticky residues.
All this being said, what brand of oil do you use?
And what is your carburettor?
Did you changed the needle position the last time that you have been playing with the carburettor?
A good starting point to tune the carburettor, is to screw the tuning screw, I don't know how it is called in English, but your carburettor as one idle screw almost in the middle of the carburettor body and other screw near the air filter, usually in the same side of the idle screw but is smaller, if you screw that screw all in(be gentle as the carburettor body is soft and the screw is made of soft brass), and the unscrewing 2 turns it should become better than its now, and then try screwing or unscrewing a quarter of a turn no one side, if it gets worse move it to the opposite direction.

JamesNRG
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:00 - 29 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Castrol TTS (2 Stroke, Fully Synthetic) Oil, the Carb is a Dell'Orto 17.5mm, haven't touched the Needle, just the Idle Speed and the Pilot Screw. I'll try what you said tomorrow, and see if there is anyluck, as when i go full throttle, the engine tone deepens and just bogs out, or goes powerless.

Glenben92
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:53 - 29 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

exhaust wouldn't make it run lean with stock jet :S air filter would. if the air filter hasn't been changed at all then the newer jet will be richening you too much. and you could try giving the carb a good THOROUGH clean? bad luck about some idiot cross threading it, never understood how people are stupid enough to do that. really gets to me! good luck mate

Jorge
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:37 - 29 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can gaurentee you have water in you carbourator give it a clean or drain it. i had this tediouse problem with my 50cc scooter.

JamesNRG
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 01:05 - 30 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would i get about cleaning/draining my carb? I'm guessing it has to be off the bike and the bike outta use for a day or so?

Jorge
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:21 - 30 Aug 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesNRG wrote:
How would i get about cleaning/draining my carb? I'm guessing it has to be off the bike and the bike outta use for a day or so?

you may have to remove the seat bowl and other pannels to get to the carb. i would recommend you look on the internet for a scooter forum that has more information on your specific scooter. the website that really helped me was. there should be some pictures on there!
ChineseScooterClub.co.uk
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 242 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1