Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Sava Tyres (MC7) - thoughts? - now got Pilot Sportys instead

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

neil.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 24 Oct 2010    Post subject: Sava Tyres (MC7) - thoughts? - now got Pilot Sportys instead Reply with quote

Hey folks,

Need to replace the YBR's tyres soon as they're fast running out of tread and the front is perishing etc. Anyway, I can't seem to source another set of Pirelli City Demons as suppliers are having problems with the factory sending them out in Brazil or something. So, I was offered the Sava MC7's as an alternative. I need a tyre that will see me through about 7'000 miles of winter commuting, and that can cope with all the nasty weather it brings. I can't seem to find too many accounts of these Savas, but the few I can find seem to say they're pretty good, even on a par with Michelin Pilot Sportys, which seem to be the bee's knees for small bikes.

So has anyone here had experience with them on 125cc bikes like the CG and YBR? Any good, or bad? Do you get a decent mileage out of them (I get about 8'000 miles or so out of my rear City Demons, double on the front, which perishes before it's fully worn down)? They seem very reasonable in terms of price, cheaper than both the City Demons and Pilot Sportys. In fact, although I don't have problems with City Demons, I have read a few accounts from people with more experience than me who don't rate them very highly...

Cheers!

Last edited by neil. on 23:41 - 25 Nov 2010; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:44 - 24 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Neil
I was qouted about the same for pilot sportys and city demons but they could not get the citys, im soon to replace the rear again on the sportys and that will make my 3rd rear to one front, it looks like the front will prolly last 4 rears overall. I get 4500 miles out of the sportys, would get more but thats when they go treadless in the middle but only by an inch, theres plenty left every where else.
I pay £55 fitted to loose wheel, as my sprockets are looking thin im trying to eek out a bit more on the tyres and replace them all together but im trying to find a reasonable set of sprockets and o ring chain, the chain is like new but the sprockets are worn.
I did read someone was using the me 22 tyres from metzler, they are a bit hard to find but he said they gripped like the sportys and he got over 8k out of a rear, but i think they are tubed. And the sportys have no sign of perishing on the front even after 9k so far.

Mark

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:57 - 24 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only experience I have of Sava tyres were the pair fitted to the front of our old Mondeo. They were fine; grippy and with no signs of appreciable wear after several thousand miles but hey, it's not quite the same as on a bike.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:31 - 24 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have the exact tyres front and rear on my KH125.

I found them perfect, especially in the wet! Didnt notice any wear at all, and alexio travelled quite far on them also.

Personally for the price I got them fitted (£75) I was very impressed Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

neil.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:36 - 24 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, found a brand new pair on eBay for about £70 delivered, but I have a mate who will fit them. Anyone know any decent online/mail order tyre dealers where I might find them cheaper? So far Google hasn't turned up much. Thumbs Up

neil.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:39 - 24 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark65 wrote:
I did read someone was using the me 22 tyres from metzler, they are a bit hard to find but he said they gripped like the sportys and he got over 8k out of a rear, but i think they are tubed. And the sportys have no sign of perishing on the front even after 9k so far.

Mark

Tubed is good, that's what the 05/06 YBR needs anyway. The 07 model is tubeless so I've heard though. Caught out a guy who works in a tyre shop when I ordered them last time. He delayed the order and rang me saying I needed tubeless tyres because the wheels are alloy but it's strangely not the case on this particular bike. Gotta be tubed. Confused

evoboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:03 - 24 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running a set of MC7's on the x7 at the mo (120kg bike).

Feel fine, not slipped on me even when they were fresh on. Cant comment of life of the tyre as ive only done some 500miles on them.

APT Motorcycles

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 24 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this if it helps
https://www.nationalbiketyres.co.uk/index.php?_g=co&_a=cart
for mine they come in at £48 plus £6 delivery

Mark

neil.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 24 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm I notice the profile/speed letter doesn't match what the Yammy manual specifies for the YBR but I'll enquire with the dealers to see if they can tell me if there is an MC7 that will still be a good fit and if the profile stuff matters too much. Thumbs Up

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 23:37 - 24 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

as long as it handles up to 82/86mph it should be fine?

Awesome commuter tyres and for a bit of fun riding if you have such inclination on a dodgy 2stroke 125 like me Laughing
Also, i got mine from watling tyres Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

evoboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:57 - 24 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only queer thing i found when fitting the tyres was the 'Max PSI Cold' pressures in each tyre.

33psi max in the rear (3.50-18) and 42psi max in the front (3.00- 18). Think this is down to the front being a reinforced for tubeless and the rear being for just tubes.

They also dont seem to have much of a rounded profile to them, which was a bit un-nerving at first when i just fitted them and took it for a 20mile spin, to see id gone almost off the edge of the tyre without much lean!

Altho ive cranked it over more since and they havent let go!

APT Motorcycles

neil.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:54 - 25 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm the fact that the profile isn't too round could be good as I commute on a lot of straight dual carriage-ways. Thinking Also the chap I emailed about them said although they're tubeless, they should be fine on a tubed rim. Anyone know if this is the case before I part with my hard-earned?

Thanks for all the insight so far. Thumbs Up Karma

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 16:10 - 25 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

See how they compared to Michelin M45s on price. At least the Michelins are from a name you're heard of. I have them on my 250 and quite like them, good deep tread.

evoboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:27 - 25 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im running them with tubes currently.

To be honest i doubt youll see much of a difference in overall grip on a small commuter bike. The tyres will out-handle the suspension! Be it the Sava's, or the M45's (which i had on the x7 before).

APT Motorcycles

neil.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 28 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after 'umming and aaring' about changing to a tyre with a different profile to what's supposed to go on the bike as well as hearing that they're not reinforced, and a bit of an 'unknown' in terms of lastability, and the supplier was out of stock on one of the ones I needed... I did something completely different and went for a pair of Michelin Pilot Sportys from National Bike Tyres, £85 for the pair, delivered, which I think is quite a decent price (that's what swayed me in the end). I've heard such excellent things about them, they seem to be the best thing for a 125 like the CG or YBR. Looking forward to seeing what they're like. Very Happy

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:40 - 28 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know how those tyres are... the CBR needs a new set soon!

Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:42 - 28 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

great stuff Thumbs Up

Im looking at buying some pilot sportys but I just can't seem to find the right sizes at the moment. Lets us know what they are like in the wet Thumbs Up

neil.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:53 - 29 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a review here which goes into a fair bit of depth:

https://125ccbikeclub.awardspace.co.uk/michelin_pilot_sporty.htm

I expect them to be excellent, with the only unknown factor to me being how many miles I'll get out of them - I hope it's a lot!

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:32 - 29 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil. wrote:
There is a review here which goes into a fair bit of depth:

https://125ccbikeclub.awardspace.co.uk/michelin_pilot_sporty.htm

I expect them to be excellent, with the only unknown factor to me being how many miles I'll get out of them - I hope it's a lot!

HE said on that review "On a Honda CG125 Front Disc brake model, I managed to wear the rear tyre out after around 8000 miles"

I'd say around that mark, maybe slightly less for me.

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:55 - 29 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil
Ive been running the pilot sportys for 8k now , im about to get my 3rd rear when i change the chain an sprockets, i have manged to get 3 rears to 1 front, if you are used to commuting tyres they may feel strange at first so be carefull when scrubbing them in as they just roll into corners. Other than that they are shit hot in the wet and scary in the dry for grip Twisted Evil, tyre pressures are for me 24psi front and i settled on 38psi rear, any higher and i think they may wear too quick in the centre but just experiment with them. You will not regret buying them. As for lasting 8k for a rear, lol only if he weighs 2 stone, i can squeeze 4500 miles out of a rear, but im about 14-15 stone. annoying as its only the centre that wears quickly, the sides have plenty left in them, i may need to find a route to work with more corners Very Happy .

Mark

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:57 - 29 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark65 wrote:
Neil
Ive been running the pilot sportys for 8k now , im about to get my 3rd rear when i change the chain an sprockets, i have manged to get 3 rears to 1 front, if you are used to commuting tyres they may feel strange at first so be carefull when scrubbing them in as they just roll into corners. Other than that they are shit hot in the wet and scary in the dry for grip Twisted Evil, tyre pressures are for me 24psi front and i settled on 38psi rear, any higher and i think they may wear too quick in the centre but just experiment with them. You will not regret buying them. As for lasting 8k for a rear, lol only if he weighs 2 stone, i can squeeze 4500 miles out of a rear, but im about 14-15 stone. annoying as its only the centre that wears quickly, the sides have plenty left in them, i may need to find a route to work with more corners Very Happy .

Mark

I get >10,000 on the CBR...ok I admit, the bald white bits are there...but thats awesome mileage. Conti Go ftw Laughing

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 29 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to get that milage but we are very limited on the YBR as to what tyres are avaliable.

Mark

neil.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:46 - 24 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got the Sportys fitted today and did my 30 mile ride home, and Mark, you're 100% right about them just rolling into corners. The handling has completely changed, for the better, much much better. Manouvering is so much more effortless, in fact it made me realise just how much I had to push/lean with the Demons to swerve and so on. It's almost like I just have to think where I want the bike to point and it goes there! Especially fantastic at little minor corrections you'll make when filtering and I noticed myself turning corners a lot faster than before, with tighter circles as well. Not like I was trying to, it just seemed to come naturally. I am truly a changed man. Karma
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:58 - 25 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awsome neil. Great tyres, just find the pressure that suits you, the y can and will rise by 4-5lbs in the summer so be wary of that, the winter seems to see a 2-3lb rise when ive checked them warm.

Mark

neil.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:49 - 25 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark65 wrote:
Awsome neil. Great tyres, just find the pressure that suits you, the y can and will rise by 4-5lbs in the summer so be wary of that, the winter seems to see a 2-3lb rise when ive checked them warm.

Mark

I am running them at 41 (Yam's recommended PSI for heavy loads) as I'm a 17.5 stone heavy lump and I find that feels great. Effortlessly flicking the bike around cars whilst filtering today and I noticed my speed was higher than usual. Twisted Evil Just felt a lot more 'natural' controlling the bike. They hold the road so well, especially when I weave quickly, they just stick there and don't let go. Every turning circle I make is so much tighter with these. They also helped my slow control a lot - I would tend to wobble the front when going very slowly, and I thought it was down to my balance but this doesn't happen at all with these bad boys. A colleague at work and I ran our fingers along the tyres on both our bikes and now he wants a pair - it was such a difference in stickyness - too bad he rides a Triumph Daytona, I don't think they make them that big!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 197 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1