Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

waterproof cover for luggage?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

grandmasterbo...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:04 - 24 Oct 2010    Post subject: waterproof cover for luggage? Reply with quote

i was wondering if there was some way i could waterproof this i tryed pulling a binbag over it all but it just ripped is there any like kind of covers u can get that will go over it all ?

https://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u296/sameu/20082010069.jpg

https://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u296/sameu/20082010071.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:17 - 25 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ortleib dry bags are good. They were originally designed for carrying your gear in in canoes so they are 100% waterproof. Two smaller ones can be more usefull than one big one.

For some reason, they are a LOT cheaper from bicycle shops than outdoor sports shops.

The blue thing on this picture:
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/tramps/01420022.jpg

Tonka
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:53 - 25 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too use the Ortleib bags - 2 x 20litre bags hold all the stuff I need to keep dry.

https://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr344/Tonkatoo_2008/Ex%20Euro%20Trail/IMGP0274.jpg

I use mine slightly differently to the way you've packed your luggage, as I use the pillion part of the seat and then I can use the bags as a bit of a back rest. However, the 20 litre bag is not that long, so you should be ok packing it across the bike (not stick out too much!) if you need to load it up that way.

HTH Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

spetom
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:32 - 25 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Ortleib dry bags are good. They were originally designed for carrying your gear in in canoes so they are 100% waterproof. Two smaller ones can be more usefull than one big one.

For some reason, they are a LOT cheaper from bicycle shops than outdoor sports shops.

The blue thing on this picture:
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/tramps/01420022.jpg

Thats not a 125 is it? Or is it the Honda R125 with massive tyres?

Out of interest what speed are you getting grandmasterbobo on your R125 is she motorway worthy? Thanks

Regards

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:03 - 25 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heavy duty garden refuse sacks work ok - your tent isn't going to need one, so one for your rollmat and one for your sleeping bag is going to be cheap enough. Put another on the inside of your rucksack to keep your clothes dry too.

https://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/Bags_Foils_And_Wraps/ASDA_Recycled_Garden_Refuse_Sacks_Tie_Handles_10.html?ShowSwitchSMBar=3
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

truslack
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:09 - 25 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

spetom wrote:

Thats not a 125 is it? Or is it the Honda R125 with massive tyres?

That's a VFR750 Laughing

+1 for canoe dry bags, I have a couple for when camping and they've always kept my gear dry.

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 25 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used something like this one mine, but it cost a hell of a lot less

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=23555

other option would be rubble sacks

truslack
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:23 - 25 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

spetom wrote:

Out of interest what speed are you getting grandmasterbobo on your R125 is she motorway worthy? Thanks

Also that isn't a YZF-R125, its a Honda CBR125. CBR125 will do maybe 75 flat out.

Pernig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:28 - 25 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my sleeping bag I put the sleeping bag in a bin bag, tie it up and then put the bin bag in the sleeping bag's bag tied up end first (if that makes sense). This works out waterproof in heavy rain for me. Then I stick the rest of the stuff in bin bags then in panniers.

Instead of putting bin bags over the whole lot wrap each thing up individually and then if you can put it in a bag that will keep it secure at speed (bin bags alone will flap about and may tear), then strap down.

Also I sometimes put things in the plastic storage boxes you can buy from Wilko's for £3-4. If you turn them upside down it stops the wider top part where the lid is digging into your back.

https://www.plasticboxshop.co.uk/ekmps/shops/plasticbox/images/6%5Bekm%5D165x109%5Bekm%5D.5lt-plastic-storage-box-lid-wham-crystal-range-566-p.jpg

Obviously the dry bags will make things much easier, but if you don't want to spend money on them try giving this a go.

grandmasterbo...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:36 - 25 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

naa its not i onley got a CBT and the speedo was on bout the 90 mark yesterday on way back from Leicester goin down A1 tho not sure what itll do with that and a set of panniers on it as when it was windy i couldent push it past 60

spetom
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:24 - 26 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

t121anf wrote:
i used something like this one mine, but it cost a hell of a lot less

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=23555

other option would be rubble sacks

This is a good idea.

How do you strap this to you bike? Can it go in panniers?

I was actually thinking yesterday whether or not there are medium and big sized fluorescent rucksacks or even non-fluorescent ones that are waterproof? Maybe hiking gear?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 178 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1