Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Where can I try out a Royal Enfield near London?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

spetom
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:06 - 30 Oct 2010    Post subject: Where can I try out a Royal Enfield near London? Reply with quote

Hi I was looking to try out a Royal Enfield to see what it's like.

Where can I try one out for an hour for example, near london?

There's a Royal Enfield shop in Didcot in Oxfordshire (fairly far) that say you can do a test ride on one but you have to have your A2 license for a year at least. So that counts me out.

andys675
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:47 - 30 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a point

someone bought a new one for £4200, six weeks later he decided it wasn't what he wanted having just passed his test and took it to part exchange, dealer didn't want it but offered it out to trade buyers to get the bike underwritten to trade it out, best offer £1500, even the original supplying dealer wouldn't buy it back at any price

still want one?

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:56 - 30 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try fronting up the one of the Enfield owners club meetings, and hang around looking interested, maybe one of them will take pity on you Smile

https://www.royalenfield.org.uk/index.php?PageName=branches_south

The owners groups are [not like "bike club" clubs] and usually fairly sedate. Bunch of old farts in a pub, usually talking about gudgeon pins or some such ...

Ed Case
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:16 - 30 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Andys350 said, these things are a 'Niche Market' bike and depreciate like an anvil in free flight. You've got to remember that they're effectively a new 1954 bike and tend to be 'Intensive maintenance', modern terminology for 'unreliable'. Don't contemplate buying a new one, if you have to, get something twelve months old, some one else has taken the big 'hit'. I've had bikes for forty-odd years and quite why anyone would want one of those things when you could get a light-years ahead Jap bike for less amazes me, must be masochists. Buy yourself a DIY ear-piercing kit instead, it's less painful. Or take up DIY dentistry.

spetom
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:48 - 31 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't going to buy a new one, just wanted to know what the ride was like thats all.

steveh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 31 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

spetom wrote:
I wasn't going to buy a new one, just wanted to know what the ride was like thats all.

shit.

Gone
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:21 - 31 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

spetom wrote:

I'm sure the dealers will be falling over themselves to offer you a ride on a bike you have no intention of buying.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 15:00 - 31 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search on here for Royal Enfield. Wolf(https://www.moonshiners.org.uk/bullet.htm)
and Stinkwheel both have them. Stinkwheel has written at some length about them recently and pretty much covers all the bases.

The ride won't impress you, and there is some doubt as to the point of the latest models, as they are unit construction and fuel injected, so lose that authenticity somewhat you might as well just buy a Honda, and not have the grief.

I may wander along to that place in Didcot though at some point if they are doing test rides, as I didn't know there was an enfield place there.

I would be interested to know why F2 motorcycles completely dropped Enfields recently, as they seemed to be the biggest dealer around for them in this area, and have a very good rep.
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:36 - 31 Oct 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only a guess, but the older model had appeal due to being a kosher blast from the past at a reasonable price, whereas the emissions requirements and the subsequent redesign made the newer models the same price as far superior jap models, meaning less room for a smaller dealer like F2 to make it worthwhile.

It also doesn't fit with the F2 feeling of being able to fix your own bike with a hammer and sickle - FFS, the addition of fuel injection means you don't even get a kickstart on the new models.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 152 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1