BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How to make your own de-icer?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

paulcdb
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 07:06 - 29 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, if people are stupid enough to pour boiling water from a kettle on a windscreen then it's there own fault.

I had no problems clearing my windscreen earlier with lukewarm water.

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:47 - 29 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

You're the first person I've ever heard say so.

I'm very suprised a merc one would let go. They usually have heating elements in them anyway.

Its always a friend of a friend, never direct experience of it happening.

Maybe he was just impatiant, I was in one of the buses sat at a timing point with the window open (waiting for my time to leave, we get fucked for leaving early) and watched him do it, Kettle / Pour / Thud / copious amounts of swearing.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:16 - 29 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you don't pour BOILING water onto a windscreen. Hand-hot is good enough. What you are aiming for is to have most of the energy in the water to be used up melting the ice, not spot-heating the glass.

Sense should tell anyone half-savvy that if you rapidly heat one of a laminated pair of glass sheets the stresses produced will be likely to break one lamination or even both.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 29 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody is suggesting you pour a bucket of molten lava onto a frozen windscreen.

All it takes is a pint of lukewarm water poured on the top of the glass. Cold water will work just as well, but I like using warm water because I'm usually cold when I'm doing it.

Instantly clear windscreen with no residual ice to fuck up your wipers, and, usually you can use some spare water to melt the jets on your windscreen sprayers too.

By far the best way.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 21:47 - 29 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of frozen car stuff.

It seems the cold has frozen up a lock on my car. I could try pouring warm water in its direction, but that might result in water in the lock which could then freeze later.

I've heard of lock de-icer gizmos, either a spray or a thing that heats up.

Has anyone got any experience of these and got any suggestions on what to get ?

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 29 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick method. (lock needs to be thawed out)

Spray grease, fire some of that in there to displace the water, no water = no ice.

Chain lube might work too Thumbs Up

Proper method.

Remove the lock barrel, strip it down and clean it out, re assemble with new grease, that's what I did to mine last year and its not frozen since.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 29 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of wd40 might do the trick, yes it is against ice in the lock, but it will free up sections at a time when you enter and exit the key a couple of times. When it is in, gradually rock the key left and right. But if it wont come it wont come, we all know that keys can easily break. But you could always use another door? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 22:12 - 29 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blurredman wrote:
But you could always use another door? Laughing

Unfortunately, I cant use another door, as its actually the boot lock I need to open, as the battery is stored in the boot, and I've had the battery on charge and want to put it back in to be able to start the car.

I'm liking stonesie's idea of spray grease, as I have loads of the stuff. Someone has already suggested wd40, but I've heard it can dissolve the great that should be in the lock, meaning the lock no longer had grease on its moving parts, just a thin layer of wd40 that wont last long.

So the spray grease suggestion sounds good.

Although I'm still a bit nervous of gunking up the lock with grease, so will see if pound shop has a gizmo. If not I'll try the grease.

coolhands
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:26 - 29 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin : I once managed to thaw the (petrol cap) lock on my suzuki gs500 when I needed to get petrol. I did it by repeatedly heating up the key with a lighter, and putting it into the lock and leaving it for (say) 20~30 seconds to let the heat dissipate into the lock.

Eventually it melted the ice on the tumblers and I was able to unlock it, put fuel in, and carry on! Razz

So you could try similar. Or if the car is on your driveway, just get an extension lead and a hair-dryer out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:27 - 29 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
Blurredman wrote:
But you could always use another door? Laughing

Unfortunately, I cant use another door, as its actually the boot lock I need to open, as the battery is stored in the boot, and I've had the battery on charge and want to put it back in to be able to start the car.

I'm liking stonesie's idea of spray grease, as I have loads of the stuff. Someone has already suggested wd40, but I've heard it can dissolve the great that should be in the lock, meaning the lock no longer had grease on its moving parts, just a thin layer of wd40 that wont last long.

So the spray grease suggestion sounds good.

Although I'm still a bit nervous of gunking up the lock with grease, so will see if pound shop has a gizmo. If not I'll try the grease.

WD40, is not a de-greaser. Gunk is a de-greaser.

It works with stiff locks, stiff petrol caps etc. I don't understand why you think it won't do any good. You just spray a tad of WD40 in the lock and you'll be dandy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Gone
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:27 - 29 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they not sell lock de-icers over there? In winter I always carry a little squeeze bottle containing a mix of alcohol (to thaw the ice in the lock) and oil (to stop it re-freezing). Buy them everywhere here, work as advertised. An upmarket version in a small aerosol is also sold.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 23:00 - 29 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blurredman wrote:

WD40, is not a de-greaser. Gunk is a de-greaser.

It works with stiff locks, stiff petrol caps etc. I don't understand why you think it won't do any good. You just spray a tad of WD40 in the lock and you'll be dandy.

You may not believe me that wd40 acts as a solvent dissolving grease, but it does. If you dont believe me, spray some grease on a bit of metal, then spray some wd40 on it. The grease becomes runny and will wipe off easily. Thats what would happen in the lock.

It may well work initially, but the issue is that it strips the lock of the grease that was on the moving parts which matters later on.

WD40 is good for cleaning things, and water displacement, but its not ideal as a lubricant.

People who use wd40 on their chain, just end up with a rusty chain.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 23:01 - 29 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

FinnDave wrote:
Do they not sell lock de-icers over there? In winter I always carry a little squeeze bottle containing a mix of alcohol (to thaw the ice in the lock) and oil (to stop it re-freezing). Buy them everywhere here, work as advertised. An upmarket version in a small aerosol is also sold.

This sounds like exactly what I need. Nice to have the explanation so when I'm buying the aerosol lock de-icer, I know what happening.

I think they may sell them in pound shop, i'm going to look tomorrow.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 122 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2