Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Dropped the bike and now it wont go out of 1st!!!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

eddclarke
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:38 - 30 Nov 2010    Post subject: Dropped the bike and now it wont go out of 1st!!! Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Bit of an urgent problem here. Riding to work this morning and I dropped the bike on to its right hand side (low speed). The bike will now not change out of 1st gear or neutral.

Any idea's what could have happened?

Thanks
Ed

dragstaar
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:35 - 30 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it sounds obvious, but check your gear lever see if its not just spinning without gripping the actual gear shift (assuming its not one of those rod ones)

Is it actually moving? if not, then check the clearance, this happened on my CG and the lever was bent and something was in its way, stopping it from moving

eddclarke
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:07 - 30 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragstaar wrote:
I know it sounds obvious, but check your gear lever see if its not just spinning without gripping the actual gear shift (assuming its not one of those rod ones)

Is it actually moving? if not, then check the clearance, this happened on my CG and the lever was bent and something was in its way, stopping it from moving

Sorted Very Happy

It must have bent when the lever went into my leg. The engine casing was stopping it moving upwards. Simply bent it out and it works again Smile

Thanks for the advice!

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 15:54 - 30 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddclarke wrote:
...must have bent when the lever went into my leg...

Good man!
Throwing yourself under and onto the bike to prevent further damage.
You obviously have the right sense of priorities to ride a motorcycle Thumbs Up

Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:40 - 30 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to be more precise.
The Brake is on the RIGHT side.

The Gears are on the LEFT side.

I couldn't fathom what would bend the gearlever if the bike fell on it's brake lever. (Right side)

Anyway fixed it.

And giving up one's leg to save a falling motorbike is the stuff of leg-ends.... Embarassed

Astridax
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:12 - 30 Nov 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:

And giving up one's leg to save a falling motorbike is the stuff of leg-ends.... Embarassed

Oh god! That is so bad it deserves to be in my sig!

eddclarke
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:13 - 08 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:
You have to be more precise.
The Brake is on the RIGHT side.

The Gears are on the LEFT side.

I couldn't fathom what would bend the gearlever if the bike fell on it's brake lever. (Right side)

Anyway fixed it.

It was my shin that bent the gear lever when we fell. Its annoying that nothing on the side that hit the ground was damaged, just the left side caused by my leg Sad

Anyway the bike has now stopped going into gear, after another slide on the ice. This time I think it may be to do with the clutch. The gear lever moves and seems to select the gears (neutral light goes out if I put it in 1st etc) and the gear lever seems to have the usual amount of resistance and 'feels' like it's selecting a gear.

It left me stranded about 5km from home with a bike that would start but just not go into gear. VERY annoying!

I have a mobile mechanic coming to have a look at it tomorrow. Fingers crossed it won't be too expensive

kingsknight
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:29 - 09 Dec 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

what bike has this happened to?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 13 years, 142 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1